Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

MB
01-29-1999, 08:32 PM
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.

Jack
01-29-1999, 08:35 PM
I did that experiment. the first dealer I went to just ignored me. When I asked for a test drive they told me they didn't have any cars available (they had 4 of them available).<p>the second dealer (much much bigger dealer) treated me like I was a king or something. Offering me drinks and fruit as soon as I walked in the door, and took me on a long test drive.<p>Third was similar to second.<p><p><i>: I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i>

FS
01-29-1999, 09:17 PM
<i>: I did that experiment. the first dealer I went to just ignored me. When I asked for a test drive they told me they didn't have any cars available (they had 4 of them available).<p>: the second dealer (much much bigger dealer) treated me like I was a king or something. Offering me drinks and fruit as soon as I walked in the door, and took me on a long test drive.<p>: Third was similar to second.<p><br>: : I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i>

Jeff B.
01-29-1999, 09:20 PM
<i>: I did that experiment. the first dealer I went to just ignored me. When I asked for a test drive they told me they didn't have any cars available (they had 4 of them available).<p>: the second dealer (much much bigger dealer) treated me like I was a king or something. Offering me drinks and fruit as soon as I walked in the door, and took me on a long test drive.<p>: Third was similar to second.<p><br>: : I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i><br>I had similiar experience. Went to BMW dealer in shorts/t-shirt. The dealer trated me very good and took me serious. I was expecting the cold shoulder b/c of the way I was dressed and the fact that I am only 25. I was suprised/pleased with the experience. <p>On the flip side, I stopped in to a mercedes dealer one day in a suit, returning from a meeting. The salesmen was reluctant to help me and when I asked him questions about a car, and a test dtive he wanted me to fill out paperwork and come back (he said to make an appointment). there was no one else in the dealership, just 4 salespeople doing nothing.... I just walked out and said no thanks.<p>

JimM
01-29-1999, 10:32 PM
<br>Do you plan to walk to the dealership or take a cab? Salesman size you up by what you drive more than what you wear.

Michael Russell
01-30-1999, 06:26 AM
I was at a conference in Boston, and wanted to drive the new 323i. I did not have a car there, so I took the train, (It stopped directly across from the dealer, how conveient). I walked in and a couple of guys did not want to talk to me, BUT one salesman walked up and started helping me, he was very nice to deal with, and was not at all put off by the fact that I did not drive in. We went for a long drive around boston, him giving me direction, (I dont know the city well) and me sizing up the car. It was a pretty cool experience.

FS
01-30-1999, 08:46 AM
<i>: <br>: Do you plan to walk to the dealership or take a cab? Salesman size you up by what you drive more than what you wear.<p></i>

BMVW
01-30-1999, 08:55 AM
Michael,<p> Yikes, what a scary thought! I live a little less than an hour from BeanTown, and it's sad enough having to drive my own car into that pit of anger. I don't think I'd want to subject a brand new car (much less an expensive one like a BMW) to Boston's streets! Good thing your dealer knew where he was going.... =)<p> That city was originally designed for horse-drawn travel, not cars. So the roads are far from great! Now, of course, the "big dig" is tearing up half of Boston and making even the easier commute sections horrid. Sometimes I envy New Yorkers- at least their roads are arranged in an even grid pattern!<p> Oh well. Carry on. =)<p>BMVW

BMVW
01-30-1999, 08:57 AM
I've read all of the responses below thus far, and yes, please do let us know how it went!<p>BMVW

Steve
01-30-1999, 10:14 AM
<i>: I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i>

Jack
01-30-1999, 10:30 AM
This was Herb Chambers in Boston right?<p><i>: I was at a conference in Boston, and wanted to drive the new 323i. I did not have a car there, so I took the train, (It stopped directly across from the dealer, how conveient). I walked in and a couple of guys did not want to talk to me, BUT one salesman walked up and started helping me, he was very nice to deal with, and was not at all put off by the fact that I did not drive in. We went for a long drive around boston, him giving me direction, (I dont know the city well) and me sizing up the car. It was a pretty cool experience.<p></i>

BMVW
01-30-1999, 10:35 AM
...it costs three times as much.<p>If you've got $90K to spend on a big (really big)<br>luxury car to drive around and impress people with, go ahead! =)<p>Different kinds of cars for different needs, hombre.<p>BMVW

Gilbert
01-30-1999, 10:58 AM
What does 'dress down' mean to you? I went to the dealer in khakis, a polo shirt and sneakers and I considered myself to be 'dressed up'.

FrankRizzo
01-30-1999, 01:30 PM
<i>: I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<br></i><p>I'm taking this experiment one further when my car comes in. I have saved, and invested weel, so I am going to be able to write them a personal check for the car. I plan to arrive in as non-assuming a vehicle as possible, wander around the dealership (They also sell Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes), look in all the cars, maybe sit in a couple if they are unlocked, generally just wander around for a few minutes before asking for my salesman, and picking up my car. Since I live 275 miles away, my salesman has never seen me!<p>It ought to be good for a few laughs.<p>

Jeff Kane
01-30-1999, 01:31 PM
<i>: I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i><p>When I went in to test drive a 540i sport I walked in in sweats and a ratty T-shirt and had no troubles. Of course I was driving a '98 GS400 so that probably helped! Incidentally I LEFT with the Bimmer :D

BDA
01-30-1999, 02:33 PM
<i>: : I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p>: I'm taking this experiment one further when my car comes in. I have saved, and invested weel, so I am going to be able to write them a personal check for the car. ...<br></i><p>You might want to verify that they will take a personal check. Some dealers don't (mine did). Also, they generally assume if you write a personal check that you borrowed elsewhere. When I told them, no, it was just cash, they said, gee, most of our wealthy customers lease (I'm not wealthy by any standard, just happened to have the cash). Dealer then pointed out you can make money by borrowing for the car (or leasing) and investing your cash (stock market return is higher than car loan interest right now). Of course, they were looking for an opportunity to make money on a loan. They didn't push it, I ended up paying cash as planned, but I don't think they were surprised or impressed. <p>Moral: don't assume they will draw the conclusions you want from the fact that you are paying cash.

Ky
01-30-1999, 03:11 PM
I'm a 23 year old asian from California with a shaved head and went to the dealer in jeans in a t-shirt. The first 2 dealership gave me great service(Sterling & Shelly BMW), the second 2 gave me nothing(century & the one in irvine). I was incredibly dissappionted but oh well they lost a sale. <p>Have fun

chris
01-30-1999, 06:47 PM
<i>: : I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p></i>you gotta to be kidding... even in the wealthy community of west los angeles, you have no idea how many ppl. would die to get their hands on 323i<p>328i on order<p>chris

Michael Russell
01-30-1999, 10:38 PM
BMVW-<p>Yes, it was an Interesting experience. It gave me a chance to see some of the city. From what I hear the "big dig" is quite an amazing project, incredible what civil engineers can do!<p>Ciao

Michael Russell
01-30-1999, 10:39 PM
Yes, indeed it was.

Steve
02-01-1999, 11:32 AM
<i>: : : I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, and I am purposely going to dress down and see what the dealer says. I want to see if I get treated as nicely as I normally would if I were dressed well.<p>: you gotta to be kidding... even in the wealthy community of west los angeles, you have no idea how many ppl. would die to get their hands on 323i<p>: 328i on order<p>: chris<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index