Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Peter
09-23-1999, 09:49 PM
I know the e30 M3 is a great track car, but was (or is) it a successful model for autocrossing? Of course driver skill counts for much of it, but certain models do excel such as the Miata, latest RX-7 Turbo, the Neon, etc. As I'm considering moving from my E36 M3 to an E30 M3, I was just wondering if I'll be able to keep up with the pack at the local autocross (my E36 M3 does very well, usually one of the top 5 fastest times of the day). <p>-Pete

Carlos
09-23-1999, 11:55 PM
<i>: I know the e30 M3 is a great track car, but was (or is) it a successful model for autocrossing? Of course driver skill counts for much of it, but certain models do excel such as the Miata, latest RX-7 Turbo, the Neon, etc. As I'm considering moving from my E36 M3 to an E30 M3, I was just wondering if I'll be able to keep up with the pack at the local autocross (my E36 M3 does very well, usually one of the top 5 fastest times of the day). <p>: -Pete <p></i><p>Since the driver plays such a large roll when autoxing it IS possible you remain competitive, but if you live in a region where there are numerous drivers at the National level then the answer is NOPE. I'm guessing since you are top 5 with an E36 M3 that your area isn't as diverse/large as others. Both areas I've autoxed in, you can't reach top 15 in a street legal car.<p>In A-Stock an MR2 Turbo, E36 M3, or Porsche 968 will eat your lunch. In CSP one of those pesky Honda CRX's will run circles around you. In stock form the E30 M3 needs to be moved to a different class to be competitive again. Currently there is nobody at the national level winning with this car. The car's you mentioned Miata, Rx-7, and Neon are the current car to have if you want to be competitive in their respective stock classes though.<p>Hope some of this message made sense.

Pete
09-24-1999, 07:25 AM
That's pretty much what I thought. I figure the E30 lacks the low down grunt needed in short autocross courses. <p>We have a wide range of talent at the local auto-x depending on the season. In November we're hosting the Florida State Championship, there will be some very good drivers at that event. I will probably won't be in the top 5 FTOD!<p>Regardless, I really don't want a Miata or Neon, I just can't get excited about those cars. Thanks for the input.<p>-Pete<p><p><i>: : I know the e30 M3 is a great track car, but was (or is) it a successful model for autocrossing? Of course driver skill counts for much of it, but certain models do excel such as the Miata, latest RX-7 Turbo, the Neon, etc. As I'm considering moving from my E36 M3 to an E30 M3, I was just wondering if I'll be able to keep up with the pack at the local autocross (my E36 M3 does very well, usually one of the top 5 fastest times of the day). <p>: : -Pete <p><br>: Since the driver plays such a large roll when autoxing it IS possible you remain competitive, but if you live in a region where there are numerous drivers at the National level then the answer is NOPE. I'm guessing since you are top 5 with an E36 M3 that your area isn't as diverse/large as others. Both areas I've autoxed in, you can't reach top 15 in a street legal car.<p>: In A-Stock an MR2 Turbo, E36 M3, or Porsche 968 will eat your lunch. In CSP one of those pesky Honda CRX's will run circles around you. In stock form the E30 M3 needs to be moved to a different class to be competitive again. Currently there is nobody at the national level winning with this car. The car's you mentioned Miata, Rx-7, and Neon are the current car to have if you want to be competitive in their respective stock classes though.<p>: Hope some of this message made sense.<p><br></i>

Carlos
09-24-1999, 09:09 AM
Pete,<p>I got a reply from Bob Tunnell who's a National champion in both AS and CSP. He's had an E30 and E36 M3 at the same time. According to him, depending on the course (wide open so the car can maintain its momentum) the E30 M3 could be faster than an E36.

Andrew
09-24-1999, 05:59 PM
Pete,<p>In my chapter of the BMW CCA (the National Capital Chapter), E30 M3s have finished in the top 3. There are many excellent drivers in the chapter, one of them being the chapter president, and there is definitely a lot of competetion, also from non BMW drivers. I havent seen a lot of E30s run recently, but last season they did pretty well. I think it is all how you drive the car. If you can keep the engine in its powerband then you will run a good time. But I do think that the E36 is a better car to autocross, if only because of its greater torque. Where the E30 really shines is at the track where it has room to run flat out. Great car though. I would get one just to drive on the street, and I probably will some day. <p>Andrew Barczak

Pete
09-24-1999, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I could see how the E30 M3 could carry speed better due to its lighter weight. You'd think the E30 could also do better on tighter courses because of its smaller size, the E36 is a bit of a boat out on the tight courses.<p>I wonder how a bonzo modified E30 would do; you should be able to fit some pretty wide rubber under those fenders!<p>-Pete <p><br><i>: Pete,<p>: I got a reply from Bob Tunnell who's a National champion in both AS and CSP. He's had an E30 and E36 M3 at the same time. According to him, depending on the course (wide open so the car can maintain its momentum) the E30 M3 could be faster than an E36. <p></i>

Barry
09-25-1999, 01:06 PM
<i>: I know the e30 M3 is a great track car, but was (or is) it a successful model for autocrossing? Of course driver skill counts for much of it, but certain models do excel such as the Miata, latest RX-7 Turbo, the Neon, etc. As I'm considering moving from my E36 M3 to an E30 M3, I was just wondering if I'll be able to keep up with the pack at the local autocross (my E36 M3 does very well, usually one of the top 5 fastest times of the day). <p>: -Pete <p></i>E30 M3 2.5 stroker with 15" wheels / sticky tires and a 4.45 or 4.75 rear gear. Gearing takes care of the lack in torque on the bottom end by keeping the RPMS in the power band. This combination makes for a killer track car but a bit too wild for the street.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index