Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Todd
09-24-1999, 08:28 AM
Just wondering, how many of you guys have the ellipsoid lights on your E30 M3? I think they are pretty cool, but I heard that they were $$$ and then the install was a pain in the arse. Also, if they aren't too much $, where did you get them? How was the install? Need a different wiring harness, etc..?<p>Thanks for the input.

Barry
09-24-1999, 11:45 AM
<i>: Just wondering, how many of you guys have the ellipsoid lights on your E30 M3? I think they are pretty cool, but I heard that they were $$$ and then the install was a pain in the arse. Also, if they aren't too much $, where did you get them? How was the install? Need a different wiring harness, etc..?<p>: Thanks for the input.<p></i>I may have a conversion set for sale soon. Email me if interested. Reelizmpro@aol.com

Doug
09-27-1999, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure but I believe that all E30 M3 have the ellipsoid lights. Anyway the '88 model that I purchased about a month ago (130K) does have them.The problem is that the lenses are broken on both sides (low beams) AND, get this - when I turn on the headlights only the passenger side comes on until I open the hood, the driver side then comes on also, at which time I can then close the hood and both lights will stay on. I've tried messing with the connections but with no success. Of course the third problem is that they sale for around $100. each. I've seen an M3 with a set of Hella Ellipsoid lights that look black but don't know where to find. Has anyone else had this problem with the lights or know where to find the "black look" lights? Sorry for the long post.

Barry
09-27-1999, 11:35 AM
<i>: I'm not sure but I believe that all E30 M3 have the ellipsoid lights. Anyway the '88 model that I purchased about a month ago (130K) does have them.The problem is that the lenses are broken on both sides (low beams) AND, get this - when I turn on the headlights only the passenger side comes on until I open the hood, the driver side then comes on also, at which time I can then close the hood and both lights will stay on. I've tried messing with the connections but with no success. Of course the third problem is that they sale for around $100. each. I've seen an M3 with a set of Hella Ellipsoid lights that look black but don't know where to find. Has anyone else had this problem with the lights or know where to find the "black look" lights? Sorry for the long post. <p></i>Doug, not ALL E30 M3's came with ellipsoids. BMW only put ellipsoids on their '88-'89 year model cars which includes the 325-325i-325iS and M3. Bekkers Imports sells the blacked out euro ellipsoids in the states for $424. I have a extra ellipsoid lowbeam in excellent condition if interested. <p>Barry

Kevin Ley
09-28-1999, 01:36 PM
BMW used ellipsoids from '87 thru early '89 production dates. Yes, they are expensive, and no, they are not worth the money but they sure look cool! I changed my '90 M3 over and I'm not real pleased with the results, Hella H4's are MUCH easier installation with better light.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index