Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Franco Carvalho
10-08-1999, 05:42 PM
I have just bought a '89 E30 M3 with about 60.000 miles (at least was what the salesman said) and I would like what is the expected oil consumption.<p>Thanks in advance,<p>J. Franco Carvalho<p>

Paul
10-09-1999, 06:50 AM
<i>: I have just bought a '89 E30 M3 with about 60.000 miles (at least was what the salesman said) and I would like what is the expected oil consumption.<p>: Thanks in advance,<p>: J. Franco Carvalho<p></i><br>You mean they actually use oil? I thought leaking oil was the norm. I need to replace both my oil pan gaskets then maybe we can see about oil consumption.

Charles Wan
10-09-1999, 08:46 AM
<i>: : I have just bought a '89 E30 M3 with about 60.000 miles (at least was what the salesman said) and I would like what is the expected oil consumption.<p>: : Thanks in advance,<p>: : J. Franco Carvalho<p>: <br>: You mean they actually use oil? I thought leaking oil was the norm. I need to replace both my oil pan gaskets then maybe we can see about oil consumption.<p></i><p>If you're talking about the Fuel consumption, it really depends how you drive it. Cos if you don't use the power band, it's pretty good, around 300 miles full tank.

Denis
10-11-1999, 12:08 AM
<i>: : : I have just bought a '89 E30 M3 with about 60.000 miles (at least was what the salesman said) and I would like what is the expected oil consumption.<p>: : : Thanks in advance,<p>: : : J. Franco Carvalho<p>: : <br>: : You mean they actually use oil? I thought leaking oil was the norm. I need to replace both my oil pan gaskets then maybe we can see about oil consumption.<p><br>: If you're talking about the Fuel consumption, it really depends how you drive it. Cos if you don't use the power band, it's pretty good, around 300 miles full tank.<p></i>

Stano
10-12-1999, 02:11 AM
What? 300 miles? I can't get more than 210 miles. Also, I eat about 1 quart of oil every 1k miles and I have no leaks. I think I recall someone saying that unlike the 318 the M3 uses the additional oil for the timing chain. <br>

Chris
10-13-1999, 09:43 PM
I've got a 1988 M3 with about 103,500 miles on it, and I usually go through about a litre (just over a quart) of oil every 800 - 900 miles, but it depends on how I drive the car. I notice that if I make a lot of short trips that don't really let the engine warm up totally for a long period the oil consumption is a little higher. Hope that helps.<p>Chris

Austin
10-14-1999, 05:03 PM
My max so far: 249 miles on a tank (20mpg). My car uses a quart of oil every 400 or 500 miles - no leaks! It goes out the pipe and all over the back end of the car, but it's running fine and I get no smoke or burning oil smell. Go figure...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index