Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

F. Carvalho
10-25-1999, 05:07 PM
I have just bought an '89 M3 and one of the problems is a oil leak near the carter (2in diameter spot on the ground in 24 hours). I still haven't found exactaly were the oil comes from. Is the oil leak a usually problem?<p>Thanks in advance,<p>Franco Carvalho

M3Toomie
10-25-1999, 07:34 PM
I have a leak too - though I don't think as healthy as yours. I'm pretty sure mine is coming from either the oil pressure sensor area or the head gasket near it (this region is on the 2 o'clock point on the engine if you're looking directly down onto the engine facing the front. PLease let us know where you find it.<p><i>: I have just bought an '89 M3 and one of the problems is a oil leak near the carter (2in diameter spot on the ground in 24 hours). I still haven't found exactaly were the oil comes from. Is the oil leak a usually problem?<p>: Thanks in advance,<p>: Franco Carvalho<p></i>

Barry
10-25-1999, 07:38 PM
<i>: I have just bought an '89 M3 and one of the problems is a oil leak near the carter (2in diameter spot on the ground in 24 hours). I still haven't found exactaly were the oil comes from. Is the oil leak a usually problem?<p>: Thanks in advance,<p>: Franco Carvalho<p></i>Check your oil pressure and temp sensors. They do leak

NoBrainz
10-25-1999, 09:53 PM
The oil filter head is notorious trouble spot for leaks. There was actually a recall for these and a new o-ring was retrofitted. I repaired mine myself. Some say that it is possible to do this with the filter head on the car but in my experience it is much easier to remove it. <p>Examine the attachment that the filter screws into . On the right hand side (towards the back of the car) there is a circular indentation with a cap. This is where the leak occurs. This attachment also houses the oil temperature sensor and the oil cooler hoses also enter and exit there. Not a big job but it is dang messy.<p>Good luck<p>Jonathan<p><i>: I have just bought an '89 M3 and one of the problems is a oil leak near the carter (2in diameter spot on the ground in 24 hours). I still haven't found exactaly were the oil comes from. Is the oil leak a usually problem?<p>: Thanks in advance,<p>: Franco Carvalho<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index