Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Pete
11-03-1999, 07:50 AM
Does anyone out there work on their M3 themselves? Are there a lot tricks and special tools required to work on these cars?<p>Pete

NoBrainz
11-03-1999, 10:11 AM
The E30 M3 is actually a pleasure to work on. Everything is built to high standards and, for the most part, disassembles and reassembles easily. However, currently there is no definitive shop manual available for these cars. Bentley doesn't cover the M3 but does provide lots of applicable info since the car is mostly just a standard E30. Chilton's provides info for the M3 but it isn't as good as the Bentley manual. Haynes, well Haynes is Haynes and let's just leave it at that. Koala Motorsports E30 M3 CD provides a bunch of info but it is not all-encompassing. The BMW Mobile tradition CD provides part numbers and assembly explosions but no repair instructions. <p>Obviously I use all of those as reference as well as the BMW E30 M3 mail list. Between all these things, the information to do just about anything is available. As long as you are willing to tear your race car for the street apart. For instance I just replaced the water pump this past weekend and, while I was there, replaced the hoses, flushed and reflushed the cooling system and changed my oil. A few hours of really grubby work but now my car doesn't piddle on the floor. Besides, there always seems be friends who like to work on these cars for some reason.<p>Regards,<p>Jonathan Porath<br>NoBrainz Motorsports<br>http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jporath<p><i>: Does anyone out there work on their M3 themselves? Are there a lot tricks and special tools required to work on these cars?<p>: Pete<p></i>

Pete
11-03-1999, 01:18 PM
I didn't know there was an E30 M3 mail list. How do I sign up?<p>Pete

Paul
11-03-1999, 01:53 PM
<i>: I didn't know there was an E30 M3 mail list. How do I sign up?<p>: Pete<p></i><br>Go to www.bimmers.com and check out the E30 M3 SIG area for instructions.

Andrew
11-19-1999, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt mess with that thing unless I was a BMW master mechanic. Those engine are in a very high state of tune and require special tools for things like valve adjustments and other things. Work on the rest of the car yourself and leave any engine work to the dealer, or a mechanic who has experience with the S14 engine specifically. Its not worth ruining a gem like that to save a few bucks.<p>Andrew

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index