Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Pete
11-03-1999, 07:54 AM
I looked at an '88 M3 yesterday. When the engine was reved up, black smoke came out of the tail pipe. Not a lot of smoke, but noticeable. Is this a sign of bad piston rings or poor combustion? I always thought oil burning was shown by blue smoke. Do all high mileage M3s do this (car has about 100k on it)?<p>Pete

Carlos
11-03-1999, 09:55 AM
<i>: I looked at an '88 M3 yesterday. When the engine was reved up, black smoke came out of the tail pipe. Not a lot of smoke, but noticeable. Is this a sign of bad piston rings or poor combustion? I always thought oil burning was shown by blue smoke. Do all high mileage M3s do this (car has about 100k on it)?<p>: Pete<p><br>That car is running rich. Cause? I couldn't tell ya, could be a number of things, any experts care to comment?<p></i>

NoBrainz
11-03-1999, 10:17 AM
It could simply be running rich but it also could be bad rings. Have a leakdown test performed before you even consider this car. You should have a professional do a prepurchase inspection for any E30 M3 that you are seriously considering. It can save you thousands.<p>Regards,<p>Jonathan Porath<br>NoBrainz Motorsports<br>http://people.ne.mediaone/jporath<p><i><br>: I looked at an '88 M3 yesterday. When the engine was reved up, black smoke came out of the tail pipe. Not a lot of smoke, but noticeable. Is this a sign of bad piston rings or poor combustion? I always thought oil burning was shown by blue smoke. Do all high mileage M3s do this (car has about 100k on it)?<p>: Pete<p><br></i>

sw
11-04-1999, 01:56 PM
my car did this. i got new piston rings and had a leakdown test, the problem seem to go away. on my car the smooke occured at about 86k. good luck

al
11-05-1999, 12:36 AM
<i>: I looked at an '88 M3 yesterday. When the engine was reved up, black smoke came out of the tail pipe. Not a lot of smoke, but noticeable. Is this a sign of bad piston rings or poor combustion? I always thought oil burning was shown by blue smoke. Do all high mileage M3s do this (car has about 100k on it)?<p>: Pete<p></i>Sounds rich. Ask if the car had been chipped before and wich one.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index