Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Sandeep Sethi
11-11-1999, 07:06 AM
Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!

Carlos
11-11-1999, 09:00 AM
<i>: Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>: The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>: I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>: There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>: A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!<p></i><p>Your synchros are probably on their way out. Put some Red Line MTL in there and see if that helps. It did with mine.<p>It used to grind in 1st & 2nd on cold mornings and now it's much, much better.

Sandeep Sethi
11-11-1999, 10:54 AM
<i>: : Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>: : The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>: : I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>: : There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>: : A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!<p><br>: Your synchros are probably on their way out. Put some Red Line MTL in there and see if that helps. It did with mine.<p>: It used to grind in 1st & 2nd on cold mornings and now it's much, much better. <p></i><p>Thanks Carlos, but as I intend to continue doing some high mileage across Europe is there a more permanent repair solution too? Can 'Synchros' be replaced if so do you know the approx cost? - any useful web links? TIA!

Robert
11-11-1999, 03:42 PM
Syncros can be replaced. It is ness to overhaul the transmission to do so.<p>You might check with Metric Mechanic or Korman they offer exchange transmissions, but sure shipping to Europe would be substantial.<p>WWW.KORMAN.COM<br>www.metricmechanic.com<p>Robert<p><br><i>: : : Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>: : : The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>: : : I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>: : : There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>: : : A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!<p>: <br>: : Your synchros are probably on their way out. Put some Red Line MTL in there and see if that helps. It did with mine.<p>: : It used to grind in 1st & 2nd on cold mornings and now it's much, much better. <p><br>: Thanks Carlos, but as I intend to continue doing some high mileage across Europe is there a more permanent repair solution too? Can 'Synchros' be replaced if so do you know the approx cost? - any useful web links? TIA!<p></i>

mike nemeth
11-14-1999, 09:30 PM
<i>: Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>: The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>: I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>: There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>: A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!<p>HI ! my name is Mike Nemeth i have a m3 too.<br>I can say that you should change the gear oil <br>with red line gear oil there are sythatic oil <br>it will be very smooth.<br></i>

Sandeep
11-21-1999, 04:53 PM
<i>Thanks all for the advice, problem solved - indeed the correct oil solved the problem!<p><br>: Hi, I hope someone can offer some advice.<p>: The gearbox on my M3 has recently got pretty difficult to use. Especially when cold.<p>: I also have real problems shifting from 1st to 2nd and also 3rd to 2nd.<p>: There is a slight crunching as I try and to avoid it I have to change gear very slowly at lower revs. (Which I know do!) Someone indicated a synchromesh but I am not clear what that means.<p>: A BMW garage in Belgium simply said I need a new gearbox which is crazy as the car drives fine when in gear - any advice and help would be much appreciated!<p><br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index