Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Josh C
11-16-1999, 03:17 PM
Just bought a near-perfect 88 M3 with 88K miles. However there is one crucial problem (which may actually turn out to be major but worth the investment to fix). In addition to the lack of a catalytic converter, upon hard acceleration the car puts out blue smoke (thus burning oil). I have it in the shop now trying to determine the problem. Likely scenario: they are going to pull the head and check the cam and valves for scoring. The car was driven 5K miles or fewer the past five years, and had regular oil changes. What could this smoke say about the rings or valve retainers? If they pull the head to do a valve job I am likely going to replace the timing chain while they are in there. Any help is appreciated.<br>Josh C

Austin
11-16-1999, 06:29 PM
My '88 (128K miles) burns a lot of oil - about a quart every 500 miles - but doesn't put out any smoke at all, just a lot of black gunk out the muffler. You don't have a cat, so at least you don't have to worry about killing it with oil in the exhaust! Good luck, hope the problem isn't too serious!

Paul
11-16-1999, 09:14 PM
<i>: Just bought a near-perfect 88 M3 with 88K miles. However there is one crucial problem (which may actually turn out to be major but worth the investment to fix). In addition to the lack of a catalytic converter, upon hard acceleration the car puts out blue smoke (thus burning oil). <p>help is appreciated.<br>: Josh C<p></i><br>My 88 w/130k miles did this when I first purchased it this year. The catalytic convertor was also missing from this car. I found a used cat and installed it, replaced the O2 sensor, and replaced the intake gaskets and no more smoke.

sw
11-17-1999, 11:02 AM
You will want to have the piston rings checked. Mine did this and I had them checked. Also get a leakdown test. If you get the piston rings replaced you'll probably want to rebuild the engine. However it is not necessary and should only be done of it really needs to be. <p><br><i>: Just bought a near-perfect 88 M3 with 88K miles. However there is one crucial problem (which may actually turn out to be major but worth the investment to fix). In addition to the lack of a catalytic converter, upon hard acceleration the car puts out blue smoke (thus burning oil). I have it in the shop now trying to determine the problem. Likely scenario: they are going to pull the head and check the cam and valves for scoring. The car was driven 5K miles or fewer the past five years, and had regular oil changes. What could this smoke say about the rings or valve retainers? If they pull the head to do a valve job I am likely going to replace the timing chain while they are in there. Any help is appreciated.<br>: Josh C<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index