Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Christopher
11-17-1999, 05:39 PM
I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul
11-17-1999, 08:20 PM
<i>: I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>: The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>: Any help is greatly appreciated. <p></i><br>Does it only do it in gear? Will it do it while in neutral and revving the engine?

Carlos
11-18-1999, 06:19 AM
<i>: I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>: The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>: Any help is greatly appreciated. <p></i><p>Sounds like the belts to me. Next time you probably want to change the pulleys AND the belts.<p>The reason it probably stops when you shift into 2nd is that the rpms are dropping. Try it with the car out of gear and see if at certain rpms you get the squeal back.

sw
11-18-1999, 01:55 PM
I have the same problem. it must be the belts. i imagine if you just replace the belts the problem should go away. it might help to try and replace the pulleys also. let me know what happens. good luck. sw<p><p><i>: : I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>: : The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>: : Any help is greatly appreciated. <p><br>: Sounds like the belts to me. Next time you probably want to change the pulleys AND the belts.<p>: The reason it probably stops when you shift into 2nd is that the rpms are dropping. Try it with the car out of gear and see if at certain rpms you get the squeal back.<p></i>

Stan
11-18-1999, 07:20 PM
If so then that is okay. Sounds like the belts otherwise.<p>Stan

Gary H
11-18-1999, 10:46 PM
<i>Its 99% your belt from the alternator pulley. But the cause is not the belt but the alternator bushings. It's a common problem. Go to the dealer and buy the alt bushings. I had this problem and it solved it. The car would squeal over 4k rpm.<br>Gary<p>: I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>: The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>: Any help is greatly appreciated. <p><br></i>

Gary H
11-18-1999, 10:46 PM
<i>Its 99% your belt from the alternator pulley. But the cause is not the belt but the alternator bushings. It's a common problem. Go to the dealer and buy the alt bushings. I had this problem and it solved it. The car would squeal over 4k rpm.<br>Gary<p>: I have recently been trying to pin down a high-pitched squeal coming from the engine compartment. I experience it usually when the engine is cold, and only briefly in first gear. I have recently had the belts replaced and I can not find any fluid (a.k.a., coolant, oil) that might be dripping on to the belts. <p>: The sound does seem to be connected with the engine speed. As I accelerate in first gear, usually only in the mornings or after work when the car has sat, the squeal increases intil I shift into second. <p>: Any help is greatly appreciated. <p><br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index