Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SteveS
01-30-2002, 07:13 PM
The lcd display for time/mileage/trip, etc. no longer is lit. From angle, looks like it is still funcgioning, though. Is there a little light bulb or something that is replaceable in it? How do you access it? Through the radio access? Your help would be appreciated.

MaximuM3
01-30-2002, 08:14 PM
Steve,<p>Just had the same thing go on mine. You will need to pull the radio, but also remove the top and bottom screws that hold the cover for the heater controls, flashers, etc. Remove the flasher and rear defrost switches. Pull the cover assy. out about 1 1/2"-2" and look on the bottom right of the cover for the OBC box. There might be a black plastic cover on the side, cut it CAREFULLY as to not leave any area cut that will later be exposed. Remove the white light housing. The replacement for the backlight is a unit with two lights connected to the housing. I am not sure if you can just replace the bulbs, as I bought the assembly (BMP $19.95.) I did not check dealer price as I was ordering other parts from BMP. Hope this helps, if you have problems e-mail me for anything I may have missed.<br>

John A
01-31-2002, 12:32 AM
<i>There`s a detailed explanation I`ve seen on the web, but I got instructions from the BMW Enthusiast`s Companion (the yellow book).<br>1)Remove radio<br>2)Pop out the hazard/rear defroster switches<br>3)Remove 2 #1 phillips screws above and inside the openings for the switches.<br>4)Remove 2 phillips screws underneath the center panel with a stubby screwdriver. I found this to be easier after removing the center console.<br>5)The panel should be loose; you only need to pull it out a little. You don`t have to disconnect the heater controls.<br>6)Remove the glove compartment and the panel to the left of the glove compartment.<br>7)From behind, loosen the two left side phillips screws holding the OBC to the back of the panel.<br>8)With the panel pulled out, reach in from the side and remove the right side screws, using needle nose pliers.<br>9)Now, the OBC can be pushed into the panel enough to access the bulb holder on the right side; it`s white. Grab it with some pliers and slide it out.<br>The bulb holder has a little circuit board with two 5 volt bulbs, wired in series. One burned out bulb will cause it to stop working. I bought the $22 replacement bulb holder; it lasted 3 months. Then I took the two remaining good bulbs and soldered them in one holder; it lasted 3 weeks. I researched and found some sources for bulbs. They average $0.65 each. Right now, I have bulbs in my OBC from Radio Shack. They have lasted 3 years, 5 months, and still going. They were in a package of 3 for $1.49, if I remember correctly. I have the Radio Shack part # here somewhere, if you want to go the cheap route.<br>John<br>88 ///M3 Cinnabar<p>The lcd display for time/mileage/trip, etc. no longer is lit. From angle, looks like it is still funcgioning, though. Is there a little light bulb or something that is replaceable in it? How do you access it? Through the radio access? Your help would be appreciated.<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index