Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

wjcarnes
02-01-2002, 10:32 AM
I think I remember reading about this cannot find in archives.<p>My 88 E30 M3 is just losing power, as in shutting down completely. I pull off to the side of the road and it cranks right up. <p>What was a concern last night is a problem today as it did it probably 5 times on the trip to work this morning. It shut off in at the entrance to the parking lot, I pulled into my spot and there it is now. I can probably limp it to the shop but my expert left for Daytona this morning to crew chief an E36 M3 in the 24 hour race. He will not be human until tuesday or later. If I can diagnose and order the parts early today, I can fix it on Sunday. <p>Somebody give me some ideas. Fuel pump? Relays? ECU? <p>Thanks for reading<p>wjc

Mike
02-01-2002, 11:02 AM
Check your fuel pumps, primary and secondary.<br>Also relay.<p>To limp home, fill the tank to capacity.. and good luck!<br><i><br>I think I remember reading about this cannot find in archives.<p>My 88 E30 M3 is just losing power, as in shutting down completely. I pull off to the side of the road and it cranks right up. <p>What was a concern last night is a problem today as it did it probably 5 times on the trip to work this morning. It shut off in at the entrance to the parking lot, I pulled into my spot and there it is now. I can probably limp it to the shop but my expert left for Daytona this morning to crew chief an E36 M3 in the 24 hour race. He will not be human until tuesday or later. If I can diagnose and order the parts early today, I can fix it on Sunday. <p>Somebody give me some ideas. Fuel pump? Relays? ECU? <p>Thanks for reading<p>wjc<p></i><br>

David 87M3
02-01-2002, 11:04 AM
<i>Main relay (DME relay) had to replace them on my last 2 BMWs, don't know where they are on the M3 cos i have not had to replace it yet.<p>symtoms of my failure were car stalls then restarts fine.<p>David<br>87M3<br>I think they are behind the coolant tank under the windscreen but i could be wrong<br>I think I remember reading about this cannot find in archives.<p>My 88 E30 M3 is just losing power, as in shutting down completely. I pull off to the side of the road and it cranks right up. <p>What was a concern last night is a problem today as it did it probably 5 times on the trip to work this morning. It shut off in at the entrance to the parking lot, I pulled into my spot and there it is now. I can probably limp it to the shop but my expert left for Daytona this morning to crew chief an E36 M3 in the 24 hour race. He will not be human until tuesday or later. If I can diagnose and order the parts early today, I can fix it on Sunday. <p>Somebody give me some ideas. Fuel pump? Relays? ECU? <p>Thanks for reading<p>wjc<p></i><br>

Jack S.
02-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Sounds like classic symptoms, happened to me a few months back.<p>There are two sensors on the bellhousing which sense the position of TDC and flywheel position (i.e., crank /cylinder position). Failure of the<br>sensors will cause a no-start since the Motronics cannot figure out where the crank is. Check it with an ohmeter to see if it's in spec.. but a word of caution: When I checked mine, it would check out okay with an ohmmeter, and then ten minutes later, it would be an open circuit.<p>Check, that way you mint find that it is in fact bad. I don't have the ohm spec with me, but if you can't find it in a manual or in the archives.. email me and I'll try to dig it up.<p><br>Good Luck,<br>Jack S.<p><i><br>I think I remember reading about this cannot find in archives.<p>My 88 E30 M3 is just losing power, as in shutting down completely. I pull off to the side of the road and it cranks right up. <p>What was a concern last night is a problem today as it did it probably 5 times on the trip to work this morning. It shut off in at the entrance to the parking lot, I pulled into my spot and there it is now. I can probably limp it to the shop but my expert left for Daytona this morning to crew chief an E36 M3 in the 24 hour race. He will not be human until tuesday or later. If I can diagnose and order the parts early today, I can fix it on Sunday. <p>Somebody give me some ideas. Fuel pump? Relays? ECU? <p>Thanks for reading<p>wjc<p></i><br>

RogerJ
02-01-2002, 02:38 PM
<i> David,<br> location of the main relay is behind the coolant tank remove the plastic cover on the fire wall. there are three relays white color is the main relay and i think the next to it is the fuel pump relay orange color the #three relay i think<br>is for the O2 sensor heater relay.<br> rogerj<p>Main relay (DME relay) had to replace them on my last 2 BMWs, don't know where they are on the M3 cos i have not had to replace it yet.<p>symtoms of my failure were car stalls then restarts fine.<p>David<br>87M3<br>I think they are behind the coolant tank under the windscreen but i could be wrong<br>I think I remember reading about this cannot find in archives.<p>My 88 E30 M3 is just losing power, as in shutting down completely. I pull off to the side of the road and it cranks right up. <p>What was a concern last night is a problem today as it did it probably 5 times on the trip to work this morning. It shut off in at the entrance to the parking lot, I pulled into my spot and there it is now. I can probably limp it to the shop but my expert left for Daytona this morning to crew chief an E36 M3 in the 24 hour race. He will not be human until tuesday or later. If I can diagnose and order the parts early today, I can fix it on Sunday. <p>Somebody give me some ideas. Fuel pump? Relays? ECU? <p>Thanks for reading<p>wjc<p><br></i><br>

wjcarnes
02-01-2002, 03:37 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index