Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Phil
02-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Looking for comments or suggestions regarding the above exhausts.

///MBaller
02-04-2002, 02:31 PM
i would get borla. i have it on my car and i think it sounds great and it looks alot better then supersprint. also the tips are bigger compared to supersprints.

Bill
02-04-2002, 02:40 PM
Supersprint makes your rear valance dirty due to the fact that the DTM tips point upwards.<p><br><i><br>i would get borla. i have it on my car and i think it sounds great and it looks alot better then supersprint. also the tips are bigger compared to supersprints. <p></i><br>

MarkPike
02-04-2002, 02:50 PM
If you get SuperSprint BMP now has them with straight pipes instead of rain catchers (DTM). That way won't get as much soot on your bumper. My M3 has had a SS muffler and resonator on it for about 5 years and 60K miles and it's still going strong, no cracks, rust, holes, etc. I guess it comes down to sound weight. I could be wrong but I think the SS muffler weighs a little less, big deal. I like them both.<p><i><br>Looking for comments or suggestions regarding the above exhausts.<p></i><br>

Anthony 88 ///M3
02-04-2002, 02:53 PM
I have had my Borla for 6 years now and not one problem. Looks and sounds great. It would be a little to LOUD for everday use IMHO. A little tough to install but worth it.<p>hth<p>Anthony<br>

SteveS
02-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Consider Magnaflow. Gustave used on on his system and was straight thru, 1/3 the cost. I will when I redo my system. Has anyon on board used them?

Kris
02-04-2002, 03:50 PM
<i><br>You might want to reconsider and go with the oem muffler. If you're looking for something louder, more expensive and/or stainless then go with what ever sounds good to you. If however you believe what Filippo Morelli from the SIG has to say on the matter, there is no HP gain with any of the aftermarket mufflers ie, stock is pretty well enginered and at least a couple hundred dollars cheaper not to mention that it will fit without any problems whatsoever.</i><br>

Phil
02-04-2002, 05:31 PM
I would agree on the no HP gain if the intake and CPU were left stock. However, if those are modified to allow for more air and fuel going in, then you need to allow for more air and fuel going out. Grassroots motorsports showed some nice numbers with a euro box, JC chip, and Supersprint exhaust. They compared that setup with a Raven exhaust, and there was a change in power, suggesting the exhaust made a difference.

Kris
02-04-2002, 05:59 PM
<i><br>I'll have to check that out, were they just comparing supersprint to raven or did they run those against the oem muffler? It's been my impression that aftermarket mufflers are mostly just louder ( not that there's anything wrong with that :) Also, given the pressure wave tuning necessities for optimal exhaust flow, I'm always a bit leary regarding aftermarket R&D applying generically to all performance cars.<br>Realistically, I'm sure most of these setups work fine. In my case, a couple extra real world HP gain (if that) plus the potential installation hassels plus the extra 2-300 dollars just didn't seem worth it. I will however checkout the GRM site. <br>Cheers,<br>Kris</i><br>

Victor Hall
02-04-2002, 07:24 PM
I was always under the impression that pressure tuning was only done up to the x-pipe, and that once you got that far, you just want to expell the gas as quickly as possible.<br>I could be wrong...

Kris
02-04-2002, 07:41 PM
<i><br>You may very well be right, I'm sure the SIG guys would have some better info on this, ie Gustave. My original comment was primarily relating a post by Mr. Morelli regarding the lack of dyno evidence for aftermarket muffler HP improvements, specifically regarding street setups. I guess my only real point is that the HP gains if any hardly seem to justify the extra money and potential fitting problems over the original muffler. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these other units,I love a throaty sounding beast but I do have neighbors 8) .</i><br>

D///M3
02-04-2002, 08:52 PM
<i><br>If you get SuperSprint BMP now has them with straight pipes instead of rain catchers (DTM). That way won't get as much soot on your bumper. My M3 has had a SS muffler and resonator on it for about 5 years and 60K miles and it's still going strong, no cracks, rust, holes, etc. I guess it comes down to sound weight. I could be wrong but I think the SS muffler weighs a little less, big deal. I like them both.<p><br>Looking for comments or suggestions regarding the above exhausts.<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index