Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

8er
04-12-1999, 02:55 AM
Why are the M sport front shocks (Bilsteins) for the E31 are sold only as a assembly with the front hubs? Do these shocks/hubs drop the front suspension?

Steve
04-12-1999, 01:05 PM
>>Why are the M sport front shocks (Bilsteins) for the E31 are sold only as a assembly with the front hubs? Do these shocks/hubs drop the front suspension?<<<p>The stock 850CSi shocks (well, strut assemblies) are made by Boge. Bilstein does offer both front and rear shocks for the E31 chassis in their "Sport" configuration. The factory 850CSi suspension is about 16mm lower than regular production E31's. If you decide to use the Bilsteins, you will need shorter, stiffer springs to go with them, since they have a shorter operating range (unless you want to bottom out all the time - not fun).<p>The factory offers upper strut bearings for camber correction; I think you can gain another -.30 degress camber. I would imagine that Dinan sells camber plates for the E31.<p>And FWIW, I always thought it was ///M, not M\\\ ;-)<p></i>

8er
04-13-1999, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info.<p>I still wonder if the optional sport struts listed on my local dealers CD will allow the use of the stock springs. The computer only specified the hubs (spindles) as "required in conjuntion" with the ///M struts. It did not specify upper stut bearings or springs.<p>I'm looking at a international version (E/J/G) of the parts CD for a "tropical" market E31 if that makes any differance...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index