Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
01-30-2000, 04:45 PM
<i><br></i>I am the proud owner of a 1988 735i SE with a problem.<br>I have a water leak from under the rad. but the bottom of the rad and all hose connections feel dry , any ideas where this leak may be coming from , <br>please

MikeM
02-01-2000, 03:07 PM
Mike,<br>The union points between the plastic radiator sides and the aluminum center are sometimes the culprit. The leak may be on the front or back sides. I found a similar leak on my car on the front drivers side of the radiator. This leak will be easiest to see after the coolant has evaporated enough to dry so that you can see the residue. If you pop off the upper radiator mounting clips, you can lean the radiator forward to have a look. Warning, sometimes the clips become brittle due to age and require replacing when you try to take them off. <p>FYI, My original radiator had a crack in the plastic, so I bought an aftermarket replacement. This one leaked at the aluminum/plastic seam. I suspect that the second one replaced under warranty is also slowly leaking at the same spot almost a year later. Good thing that the aftermarket one came with a lifetime warranty if I'm going to have to replace it once a year. <p>Mike Matison<br>'88 735i<p>: I am the proud owner of a 1988 735i SE with a problem.<br>: I have a water leak from under the rad. but the bottom of the rad and all hose connections feel dry , any ideas where this leak may be coming from , <br>: please<p></i>

MikeM
02-01-2000, 03:07 PM
Mike,<br>The union points between the plastic radiator sides and the aluminum center are sometimes the culprit. The leak may be on the front or back sides. I found a similar leak on my car on the front drivers side of the radiator. This leak will be easiest to see after the coolant has evaporated enough to dry so that you can see the residue. If you pop off the upper radiator mounting clips, you can lean the radiator forward to have a look. Warning, sometimes the clips become brittle due to age and require replacing when you try to take them off. <p>FYI, My original radiator had a crack in the plastic, so I bought an aftermarket replacement. This one leaked at the aluminum/plastic seam. I suspect that the second one replaced under warranty is also slowly leaking at the same spot almost a year later. Good thing that the aftermarket one came with a lifetime warranty if I'm going to have to replace it once a year. <p>Mike Matison<br>'88 735i<p>: I am the proud owner of a 1988 735i SE with a problem.<br>: I have a water leak from under the rad. but the bottom of the rad and all hose connections feel dry , any ideas where this leak may be coming from , <br>: please<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index