Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jim Brisimi
01-31-2000, 09:15 AM
All, <p>Does anyone have good instructions on how to replace the rear sub-frame bushings for an 88 735i. Furthermore, what is the specific name of the tool used to press out the old bushing and press in the new one?<p>Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk Maassen
02-01-2000, 12:11 PM
<i>: All, <p>: Does anyone have good instructions on how to replace the rear sub-frame bushings for an 88 735i. Furthermore, what is the specific name of the tool used to press out the old bushing and press in the new one?<p>: Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. <p></i>Let me share what I did. I assume you are asking about the sub-frame and not the trailing arm bushings. After an extensive search on the net, I did find the appropriate tool to pull the "beer can" bushing out of the Sub-frame. They were expensive!!!!! I ended up making my own tool made out of threaded rod and large diameter steel washer and steel channel welded together. I was able to block the sub-frame away from the chassis far enough with out having to drop the whole thing to work on it by not having the spring/shock assembly attached. Using my home tool was able remove and install the bushing in about two hours. The hard part was getting the old one out which required much patience and a little creative thoughts. If you like, I can send an image of the tool I built. Otherwise, you are left to the OEM shops or other shops that might have the tool. And they will want to charge you to drop the complete rear sub-frame.

Jim Brisimi
02-01-2000, 02:56 PM
I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to take a look at the home made tool that you used. Please post it at your leisure. Thanks in advance for the assistance. <p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index