Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

JC
02-01-2000, 05:00 PM
Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>John Croft<br>1990 750il - potential lawn ornament

tom
02-01-2000, 06:42 PM
Sorry about your predicament....its sure a tough situation to be in. It certainly gives me even more belief in the "you gotta have the records" motto of used car buying.<p>Sounds like a salvage for $5k may not be the worst idea....but don't give up yet. What is the condition of the rest of the car. How is the suspension? If it needs new accumulators, you are looking at another $3k. How 'bout the tranny? If the torque converter is malfunctioning, its another $1-$2k. You probably want to see what else is in close need of repair, as even $8.5k may only be the starting point for repairs. And, if you put another engine in it you effectively have at least $13.5k in it ($5k + $8.5k), which really isn't above market value of the car, even assuming everything else works well.<p>How good is the mechanic you are using, and does he have experience with "complicated" BMWs (750s, 8ers, Ms), or mainly just the more mainstream 325's. From what I can tell, unless the mechanic is really experienced with the 7ers, even the average BMW tech has problems with the 750.<p>Overall, if it will take much more than $2k to get EVERYTHING else in the car back to PERFECT order (this includes any paint / body work if it needs it), and if you really can get $5k for salvage, you may want to seriously consider taking it.<p>IF you decide not to salvage it: as far as going with a new engine, or salvage, I would probably go the salvage route. Typically, the engine in the 750 is one of the most reliable parts, so my bet is there are good V-12s kicking around that have been salvages for problems other than the engine.<p>Good luck,<p>Tom<br>'91 750il 85k<p><p><i>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>

Gilbert
02-01-2000, 07:00 PM
It looks like you have experienced my worst nightmare. I have a 1990 750 with lifters making noise when first cranked. 48 lifters to replace? It may as well just explode. Cost wise. I have seen used engines on the board from $3,500 up, so post on all boards and call the salvage places, like bimmerworld (?). I tried to sell the car last year, have about 175k miles, could not get a nibble. Quit trying at $11,500. Two others in poor condition were in newspaper ads for about $7,500. Most people don't know the difference between good condition and poor condition, and just assume all are worth the same price. Spend $5,000 for an engine? I suspect your salvage is more like $1,500 to $2,500, but I hope I'm wrong. It seems to me you have no choice but to get the rebuilt angine. Good luck. <p><p><i>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>

George
02-02-2000, 10:21 AM
<i>: <br>John,<br>Test all your options. I wouldn't act suddenly on something this major since you are looking at a bit of money either way you decide. First thing I would do is determine for sure if the block is trashed. See if you can get the heads off and evaluate the block. Sheared bolts don't auto-<br>matically mean a bad block. Replacing the head or<br>heads is obviously much less money than replacing the engine. May need to find a real good 7-series mechanic...call around for prices to pull the heads off and evaluate the motor. In parallel, I would canvass everywhere for another engine. If you exhibit some patience you will find another engine at a much lower price. After weighing the above two options, the third thing you could do is post to sell the car "as is" for a price you can stand. This board has been used successfully in the past for this purpose. I would personally strive to rebuild the car with a fresher motor that would give you another 100K of enjoyment.<br>Why sell/give your car to the next guy who's<br>going to put another engine in it anyway.<p>Best of Luck...your scenerio could happen to any<br>of us...risk we take when we buy these exclusive cars.<p>George<br>90 735il/138K<p><br>Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>

Peter
02-02-2000, 12:17 PM
<i>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>Is the mechanic who pronounced the car dead the same one who replaced the radiator and water pump? Why did your engine go? That should never have happened.<p>Now that it has, get a second opinion. Let's say the heads are seriously warped, a little shave would raise compression anyway and the car would be more fun to drive. If the block is cracked, you do have a big problem.<p>You can't decide what to do until you know what you are dealing with. Get a second opinion, and open that engine and find out for sure what you're dealing with. Some guy just paid $2200 for a 750 with a small engine fire, but the engine and tranny are good, so you're not out of the game. By the way, if the engine is shot, I doubt you could get near $5K for it. <p>No matter what you do, except junking it, you need a damn good mechanic. Start looking.

MikeM
02-02-2000, 01:07 PM
JC,<br>Sorry about the bad news.<br>You don't really mention what happened to the car when the problem arose. I presume that you were driving it? Did it overheat? What are the compression numbers for the motor? Have any idea what they looked like before the failure? I have heard of the head bolts on the 12 cyl shearing before so it may not be a dramatic as a new motor. <br>It sounds like you are not basing your oppinion on what your mechanic expects to find and not actual damage. I think you should find a good mechanic that has experience with the 12cyl motors and let them take a look at it. <br>Although in no comparison as far as price is concerned, this reminds me of when I took my Kawasaki Ninja 600 to the dealer to have then diagnose a problem which turned out to be burnt exhaust valves. The tech spent 20 minutes on it doing a compression test, then called me and told me that it would make a great flower pot. In his oppinion it needed a new motor and the bike wasn't worth it. Yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, I had the head rebuilt at a different shop and it still runs great. YMMV. <br>It really depends on you. If you want to keep the car, I'd suggest getting it checked out before making any rash decisions. -and I have seen used motors go for way less than $5k in the Roundel. Do some serious shopping around. -and it never hurts to be do-it-yourselfer if you feel inclined.<p>Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.<p>Mike Matison<br>'88 735i<p><p><br><i>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>

tom
02-02-2000, 03:31 PM
should read the above post to see a "worst case" scenario of buying a 7er (especially a 750)without knowing the service history. I don't mean to single out JC, as most of us have all "gambled" on a no-history car before (I know I have). This just shows the risk associated with complicated cars like the 750.<p>We'll be interested to see how it works out (well, we hope) for JC.<p><br><i>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p></i>

NORM
02-02-2000, 04:05 PM
<i>JUST GO TO BAVAIRIN ENGINE EXCHANGE, THEY HAVE REBUILT FOR 6,000. MUCH BETTER THAN USED ENGINE.<br>: Hi all - I could really use some advice from the list. I have a 1990 750il w/114k. Got it about a year ago for $12.5 w/104k. No records from the previous PO. I've had problems with the cooling system since I got it, new radiator, water pump, etc.. Then, during this past cold snap in the Northeast, I had a dead battery & coolant all over. Bottom line is, mechanic says several head bolts are sheared, head is likely seriously warped and block is probably cracked. So, choices are shiny new 12cyl engine, $15k, salvaged engine $8.5 k w/1 yr. warranty, or, sell the car for salvage, max. maybe $5k. Ideas ? Thanks.<p>: John Croft<br>: 1990 750il - potential lawn ornament<p><br></i>

Fuentes
02-03-2000, 07:19 PM
<i>: I have read the responses and there is a heck of a lot of good advise there! I have a 90 750 with almost 185K on it and it runs like a --- ape. If I had to, I would rebuild, but you really need to be absolutely certain about the damage. Best of luck.

Derek Beasley
02-14-2000, 01:03 PM
Hey JC,<p><br>Just happened to stumble upon your problem. I know I-35 Imports in Moore, OK (4 miles south of OKC) has a 1988 (I think) 750iL engine for $1000 (and they might let it go cheaper than that, because no one here really has a 750, and it has been there for about 8 months). Also, it was involved in a fire, and it is still in good shape. I loooked at it. Just thought I's mention it. The phone number is (405) 637-4914.<p><br>Good luck to ya.<p>Derek<p>1992 325is

Brian
02-22-2000, 06:04 PM
JC<br>I feel your pain. I just bought a 740i with 110k<br>without performing any diagnostics. I took it<br>to the mechanic and it failed the compression<br>test. Mechanic says only one year left until<br>engine failure. I have been sent to another <br>mechanic who rebuilds but I don't know what to do.<br>Any help would be great!<p>Brian<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index