Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bob
02-08-2000, 08:52 PM
My '88 735i has the front passenger door not locking, either manually, with the key, or electrically.<p>I disassembled the door and found the bellcrank (mounts radially to the lock cylinder itself) that connects to the locking solenoid not rotating enough to move the lever that connects to the latch locking pawl enough to lock it.<p>Disassembling the lock itself, I found the cast belcrank cracked where it is ring shaped and fits around the lock tumbler.<p>It is made of cheapo brittle pot metal. Anyone had this problem and fixed it without buying a new door handle assembly (definately over $250 dealer price to get the 25 cent part I really need)?<p>Bob

John
02-09-2000, 10:57 AM
Bob,<p>Here are a few dollars for you. The $250 lockset from the dealer is pre-keyed to your lock set up. There is another part number that will get you a generic lockset with a key that will not match the rest or the car. Also, there is a re-key kit (new tumblers). Take these two items to a good locksmith and re-key it to your key.<p>I believe the two kits from the dealer were $80 and locksmith bill was $50.<p>Also, inspect the pot metal counterweights on the handle for fatigue, and/or cracks/knicks. Mine broke and I ended up with new handle. After close inspection, it appeared some bozo with a slim jim had their go at it.<p>John 88 735iL (226K)<br>79 320i (250K)<br>95 Disco<p><br><i>: My '88 735i has the front passenger door not locking, either manually, with the key, or electrically.<p>: I disassembled the door and found the bellcrank (mounts radially to the lock cylinder itself) that connects to the locking solenoid not rotating enough to move the lever that connects to the latch locking pawl enough to lock it.<p>: Disassembling the lock itself, I found the cast belcrank cracked where it is ring shaped and fits around the lock tumbler.<p>: It is made of cheapo brittle pot metal. Anyone had this problem and fixed it without buying a new door handle assembly (definately over $250 dealer price to get the 25 cent part I really need)?<p>: Bob<p></i>

Bob
02-10-2000, 02:55 AM
<i>: Bob,<p>: Here are a few dollars for you. The $250 lockset from the dealer is pre-keyed to your lock set up. There is another part number that will get you a generic lockset with a key that will not match the rest or the car. Also, there is a re-key kit (new tumblers). Take these two items to a good locksmith and re-key it to your key.<p>: I believe the two kits from the dealer were $80 and locksmith bill was $50.<p>: Also, inspect the pot metal counterweights on the handle for fatigue, and/or cracks/knicks. Mine broke and I ended up with new handle. After close inspection, it appeared some bozo with a slim jim had their go at it.<p>------------------------------------------------<br>The problem is not with the lock itself, or even the rest of the handle assembly, but with the pot metal parts mounted on the back of the tumbler that the cylinder turns when you turn the key.<p>I plan to just install my lock into the new (used) handle assembly I ordered for $130.<p>I just wondered if there was any way to get around buying a new handle assy. just to get the 25 cent part that broke. <p>It's kind of like getting a new arm transplant to get rid of a hang-nail, but I guess that's the way most manufacturers play it these days.<p>I was just disapponted at the poor quality of the BMW materials. I expect cheap pot metal on an Oldsmobile, but NOT a $60K BMW. My e28 locks/latches are stamped heavy gauge steel that can be welded/drilled/brazed if necessary (I know as I've repaired my latch before).<p>The e32 735i is mostly plastic (in general) where my e9/e23/e24/e28 cars are steel. I don't plan to get rid of my "old" Bimmers. I think they will long outlive this e32.<p>Bob<p></i>

John
02-10-2000, 11:21 AM
Bob,<p>Agreed, the front handle assemblies are a disappointment. When four pokes with a slim jim can net a $300 repair bill, something is wrong.<p>Hope you are successful in getting the used one.<p>John 88 735iL (226K)<br>79 320i (250K)<br>95 Disco<p><i>: : Bob,<p>: : Here are a few dollars for you. The $250 lockset from the dealer is pre-keyed to your lock set up. There is another part number that will get you a generic lockset with a key that will not match the rest or the car. Also, there is a re-key kit (new tumblers). Take these two items to a good locksmith and re-key it to your key.<p>: : I believe the two kits from the dealer were $80 and locksmith bill was $50.<p>: : Also, inspect the pot metal counterweights on the handle for fatigue, and/or cracks/knicks. Mine broke and I ended up with new handle. After close inspection, it appeared some bozo with a slim jim had their go at it.<p>: ------------------------------------------------<br>: The problem is not with the lock itself, or even the rest of the handle assembly, but with the pot metal parts mounted on the back of the tumbler that the cylinder turns when you turn the key.<p>: I plan to just install my lock into the new (used) handle assembly I ordered for $130.<p>: I just wondered if there was any way to get around buying a new handle assy. just to get the 25 cent part that broke. <p>: It's kind of like getting a new arm transplant to get rid of a hang-nail, but I guess that's the way most manufacturers play it these days.<p>: I was just disapponted at the poor quality of the BMW materials. I expect cheap pot metal on an Oldsmobile, but NOT a $60K BMW. My e28 locks/latches are stamped heavy gauge steel that can be welded/drilled/brazed if necessary (I know as I've repaired my latch before).<p>: The e32 735i is mostly plastic (in general) where my e9/e23/e24/e28 cars are steel. I don't plan to get rid of my "old" Bimmers. I think they will long outlive this e32.<p>: Bob<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index