Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Max Sessions
02-09-2000, 09:53 AM
Anyone have any experience repairing electric mirror problem where they only go right when attempting adjustment with the thumbswitch on door handle?? Once you screw up the adjustment, they will move in any direction necessary to obtain a memory setting, so the motors are OK. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Isiah
02-09-2000, 10:46 AM
My problem was the mirror switch. I took it out and cleaned it thoroughly with contact cleaner. I actually took it apart and cleaned each and every individual piece. Took about 10 minutes. The switch will pry out of the door with a small screwdriver. <p><br>Isiah<br>90 735il<p><p>

Max Sessions
02-09-2000, 11:29 AM
But I've already replaced the switch with a brand new one from the dealer. I have the exact same symptoms.

Stephen P Harvey
02-09-2000, 12:24 PM
I had similar problems which turned out to be a broken wire to the switch. The wire was too short to resolder so I had to add a small length (about 1 inch) taking care to insulate the join to prevent shorts to the metal work. The switch comes out easily to check.<p><i>: Anyone have any experience repairing electric mirror problem where they only go right when attempting adjustment with the thumbswitch on door handle?? Once you screw up the adjustment, they will move in any direction necessary to obtain a memory setting, so the motors are OK. Any suggestions will be appreciated.<p></i>

Kelly
02-17-2000, 04:11 PM
<i>: But I've already replaced the switch with a brand new one from the dealer. I have the exact same symptoms.<p></i><p>Max: You probably have a bit of a wiring issue. And it's going to be the devil to track down! I had this type of problem on my old car. It turned out to be a very small scrape on one of the control wires. It would short out every now and then, causing the mirror to go wacky. Finally found the problem after many, many months. It was in the harness at the door hinge area.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index