Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike.
02-10-2000, 07:24 PM
I note posts on engine problems - UK dealers see this as a major problem. BMW UK has had to arrange with national car hire company for courtesy cars as dealers<br>cannot cope. Local dealer contact tells me that their salesmen have taken bets on the time it takes for engines to fail, record was 130 miles - car back same day. Early engine rebuilds gave problems as replacement blocks from BMW had balance shaft bearings<br>machined to differing sizes and engines had to be built again using new bearings. Doubtless the same in US or wherever.<p>As usual you have to push HARD to get the problems resolved, BMW are no better or worse than any other maker. Nice cars but the management are sometimes<br>completely ridiculous and stubborn, I had a warranty cancelled because I used it !!! then told I should not have had it in the first place, next day offer of a new warranty came through the mail ?<p>If you want service you have to shout loudly and be a pain as usual, and you all know how to do that don't you.

Brian
02-23-2000, 07:39 AM
I just bought a 1993 740i with 110k. The compression test failed and mechanic at the dealer<br>says the engine has only 1 year left. Since it is out of warranty, should I pursue BMW to fix problem? Will they listen? If not, should I rebuild this engine or will it fail again. I am stuck with an overpriced car. Help!

Mike.
02-25-2000, 08:21 PM
<i>: I just bought a 1993 740i with 110k. The compression test failed and mechanic at the dealer<br>: says the engine has only 1 year left. Since it is out of warranty, should I pursue BMW to fix problem? Will they listen? If not, should I rebuild this engine or will it fail again. I am stuck with an overpriced car. Help!<p></i> Brian,<p>Go for it hard... make the dealers life hell and keep ringing BMW local HQ. This is a major problem to them and very embarassing - are they saying the BM engine is only good for 100k ??<p>Remember you are only dealing with an insurance company when you claim on warranty so push very hard.<p>Best of luck.

Brian
02-26-2000, 06:34 PM
Mike,<p>I took it to small local mechanic who works only on BMW, Mer., and Porsche. I watched as he performed the leak down and the compression tests.<br>All cylinders were at 180 and the were no sounds when he performed the leak test. I was satisfied with this. I am a little worried over this Nikasil thing. The short block was replaced at 80K and I have all the papers. Can I assume they replaced it with the Allusil?

Mike
02-27-2000, 10:12 AM
<i>: Mike,<p>: I took it to small local mechanic who works only on BMW, Mer., and Porsche. I watched as he performed the leak down and the compression tests.<br>: All cylinders were at 180 and the were no sounds when he performed the leak test. I was satisfied with this. I am a little worried over this Nikasil thing. The short block was replaced at 80K and I have all the papers. Can I assume they replaced it with the Allusil?<p><br>Brian, If you have short block replacement then it should be OK - the problem was recognised and BM (UK) in any case have been doing the job properly every time a warranty job is done.<br>There is no definitive rule for this some cars fail after 500 miles other went on for several thousand and it was fuel sensitive - sulphurs etc.<br>Sounds as though yours is OK.<p>Mike.<br></i>

Brian
02-27-2000, 09:08 PM
Mike,<p>My only problem (or potential problem) is based upon my discovery of the facts surrounding the<br>recall. If you go to <p>www.***************.com/v8shortblock.htm<p>there is an article that someone wrote discussing the issue. The article says that before BMW found the true problem, some engine blocks were replaced with Nikasil engines and the Alusil short blocks were not put in until early 1997. My mechanic currently has my papers and I think that my engine was replaced in 1998 so I think I am ok ... BUT I will have to apparently check under the car for the casting number Alusil. If it says Nikasil I may have future problems per the article. At any rate, the article is very good and answers all my questions surrounding the Sulphur situation.<p>I appreciate your input and have learned to love this message board.<p>Brian<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index