Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bryan Garner
02-14-2000, 12:32 AM
I need to replace the rear shocks on my 1989 750 because they are leaking and I want regular shocks on it I am thinking about Bilsteins on it. IS the cylinder part the only thing that needs to be replaced? Because I want to buy as little parts as necessary to fix the car because 9 or 10 parts gets expensive. And who would sell the Self levelling shocks at a fair price (lower than $300.000)? One last question when I jack the car up in the rear where would be a good place to put the jack stands under? Post message on here or E-mail me at bGARNER@ZZ3.com

SJ
02-14-2000, 09:57 AM
<i>: I need to replace the rear shocks on my 1989 750 because they are leaking and I want regular shocks on it I am thinking about Bilsteins on it. IS the cylinder part the only thing that needs to be replaced? Because I want to buy as little parts as necessary to fix the car because 9 or 10 parts gets expensive. And who would sell the Self levelling shocks at a fair price (lower than $300.000)? One last question when I jack the car up in the rear where would be a good place to put the jack stands under? Post message on here or E-mail me at bGARNER@ZZ3.com <p></i>I don't know all there is to know, but I just replaced my accumulators on the suspension. I decided to keep the system as the conversion would cost as much and I figured the replaced shocks and accumulators will last as long as I have the car(BTW--a BMW tech told me that a bit of leaking on the shocks is normal!?!--that he suggested replacing accumulators and see if the shocks stayed level). <br>A guy at Zionsville autosport told me that if I wanted to convert to standard suspension I would need the shocks and a set of springs--he would sell me the springs for $100 per side. then I would have to purchase the shocks. <br>There is a guy on this board that set up a website explaining how he converted his car. Check the archives. Good luck.

Dennis
02-14-2000, 01:13 PM
<i> The research I've done on this subject leads me to agree with SJ. The Bentley manual sez that a little dampness at the top of the LAD struts is acceptable. The struts on my 735iL are damp at the top and I've decided to leave tham alone and just change the accumulators. I have seen posts on this board from people that were dissappointed with their converted 7's. Seems that they sag with a load and don't ride as good as a car with a properly working LAD system. A lot of people convert their 5 or 6 series from LAD but those are shorter and lighter cars. I'm betting that the long wheelbase 7's NEED this system. I've also seen a lot of praise on this board for the LAD system when it's working correctly. I'm going to leave mine in place.

Bryan Garner
02-14-2000, 06:29 PM
The shoks on my 750 are leaking oil because there is green fluid under the rear shocks on the floor and there is also oil on the bottom part of the spring.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index