Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

beemmer
02-15-2000, 12:26 AM
I accidently put regular steering wheel fluid in the tank. Afeter that for a few days, the fluid is down to the bottom of the tank, so i added the right stuff ( mineral oil) in to it. Here is the question? Where is the wrong fluid gone to? Will it be ok now since i had the right stuff in it. By the way the car is 1988 , bmw 750iL.<br>thanks for any advice.

sam brown
02-15-2000, 04:10 AM
okay! haha someone did this to me. and my system isnt totally flushed out yet, cause that would have cost some money pouring the chf down the toilet!<p>1. it ate all the seals out of the power steering unit. cost me like $75 to replace them, they were leaking like a sieve.<br>It ate the seal out of the CHF sender unit, then ate the switch itself(leaking with a new seal), im letting it leak, might take it apart and glue it somehow to save money.<p>Oh yeah, cost about $35 in chf too cause it needed that much. good luck, its a bad thing, the bmw techs say is causes all the seals to swell and leak. sorry.<p><p><i>: I accidently put regular steering wheel fluid in the tank. Afeter that for a few days, the fluid is down to the bottom of the tank, so i added the right stuff ( mineral oil) in to it. Here is the question? Where is the wrong fluid gone to? Will it be ok now since i had the right stuff in it. By the way the car is 1988 , bmw 750iL.<br>: thanks for any advice.<p></i>

Jake
02-15-2000, 05:24 AM
<i>: okay! haha someone did this to me. and my system isnt totally flushed out yet, cause that would have cost some money pouring the chf down the toilet!<p>: 1. it ate all the seals out of the power steering unit. cost me like $75 to replace them, they were leaking like a sieve.<br>: It ate the seal out of the CHF sender unit, then ate the switch itself(leaking with a new seal), im letting it leak, might take it apart and glue it somehow to save money.<p>: Oh yeah, cost about $35 in chf too cause it needed that much. good luck, its a bad thing, the bmw techs say is causes all the seals to swell and leak. sorry.<p><br>: : I accidently put regular steering wheel fluid in the tank. Afeter that for a few days, the fluid is down to the bottom of the tank, so i added the right stuff ( mineral oil) in to it. Here is the question? Where is the wrong fluid gone to? Will it be ok now since i had the right stuff in it. By the way the car is 1988 , bmw 750iL.<br>: : thanks for any advice.<p></i><p>I've been looking for some power steering fluid for a while now. I am currently using Red Line Synthetic. It seems to work well, but I'm always looking for something better (or at least cheaper than the $7 a quart I pay for Red Line). Red Line power steering fluid is hard to find, also.<p>I saw that Valvoline makes a semi-synthetic power steering fluid. It was about $3/qt in WalMart. It listed the specs for Ford, Chrysler, and GM that it meets, btt didn't mention anything foreign, except to say "Do not use in Honda vehicles". Hmmmmm??????<p>Anybody tried this stuff, or Amsoil perhaps???<p>Jake<br>88 735i

sam
02-15-2000, 08:21 AM
Hmm. My 1988 750il says PUT ONLY CHF FLUID in the tub!<br>

John
02-15-2000, 11:31 AM
The iL's need the CHF. The i's are alright with a good grade ATF. Something about the self leveling suspension required a change in the pump, seals etc.<p>John 88 735iL (226K)<br>79 320i (250K)<br>95 Disco<p><br><i>: Hmm. My 1988 750il says PUT ONLY CHF FLUID in the tub!<p></i>

sam
02-15-2000, 12:17 PM
Yes. Apparently CHF in the il models is used for self leveling suspension, brake booster, and power steering. Damage to all systems seals is what the bmw techs tell me if you put ATF in the chf can. Thats some mega-bucks. like many thousands, get the stuff out ASAP.<p><br><i>: The iL's need the CHF. The i's are alright with a good grade ATF. Something about the self leveling suspension required a change in the pump, seals etc.<p>: John 88 735iL (226K)<br>: 79 320i (250K)<br>: 95 Disco<p>: <br>: : Hmm. My 1988 750il says PUT ONLY CHF FLUID in the tub!<p></i>

Alex
02-15-2000, 07:16 PM
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid in the transmission and the power steering. Seems to work a treat with no leaks. However, my next job is automatic transmission replacement but this is not a result of fluid problems but worn clutches and sticky valves. Remind me again why these are such wonderful cars, I seem to have momentarily forgotten?<p>Alex<br>1992 735i 167k miles<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p><i>: The iL's need the CHF. The i's are alright with a good grade ATF. Something about the self leveling suspension required a change in the pump, seals etc.<p>: John 88 735iL (226K)<br>: 79 320i (250K)<br>: 95 Disco<p>: <br>: : Hmm. My 1988 750il says PUT ONLY CHF FLUID in the tub!<p></i>

Bryan Garner
02-17-2000, 11:28 PM
That would be a bad idea. DON'T put any thing in the hydraulic system other than Pentosin CHF 7.1 or 11s if you put anything else in there it could damage the power steering,brakes and the rear self levelling system. Their should be a label on the reservoir top saying what it takes.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index