Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Larry Carter
02-15-2000, 07:28 PM
Hi, Just found this site. Awesome! Just went out and got ready to pick up the girls from school. The key would only turn enough to unlock the steering wheel but no more.<p> Have tried both keys had a new one made about 1 year ago but no luck.<p>Any help would be appreciated. Larry Carter <br>1988 735i 230k

Fuentes
02-15-2000, 10:37 PM
I recently had the same thing happen to my 90 750iL. Called my mechanic, he said with luck $20 to get it loosened up, may last a week or several months. He quoted $175 to replace ignition cylinder. Either way both include a $70 tow. Bentley manual has fairly good instructions on replacing it. Someone posted the instructs on this page as I didn't have my manual at the time. You should be able to find it in the archives. Ohh, I think I paid about $50 for the cylinder and key set. Good luck.

S. Coyer Kennedy
02-16-2000, 11:39 PM
<i>: Hi, Just found this site. Awesome! Just went out and got ready to pick up the girls from school. The key would only turn enough to unlock the steering wheel but no more.<p>: Have tried both keys had a new one made about 1 year ago but no luck.<p>: Any help would be appreciated. Larry Carter <br>: 1988 735i 230k<p></i>I experienced a similar problem about a year ago. I replaced the lock cylinder myself and cured the problem. A word to the wise order the cylinder coded to your door key and then you wont have 2 big fat BMW keys on your ring. My dealer gave me a loaner cylinder to use while my coded cylinder was on its way from Germany, the only downside was I had to do the job twice but its not a really big deal anyway......Regards Scott

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index