Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Need e32 Climate Control Help

Bob
02-16-2000, 11:57 PM
I recently bought an '88 735i 5 speed which I love, but the climate control has me going around in circles and melting my legs at the same time!!<p>Even at its lowest setting, it often puts out LOTS of heat. Sometimes, however, it will pass cool air, but only on the driver's side.<p>Anyone worked on these enough to be familiar with them?? I could sure use some help with the diagnosis.<p>I am probably also looking at heater core replacement as at start-up when the engine first reaches temp and pressure, I can smell a brief wiff (and see on the windshield) anti-freeze.<p>I do have the new Bentley book, so one could reference that to make it easier.<p>Bob

Stefan Borch
02-17-2000, 04:14 AM
Bob,<br>Sounds like the exact same problems I've had with my car. Very common, actually. Check my E32 site (link below) for my experiences with these things.<p>Stefan<p><i>: I recently bought an '88 735i 5 speed which I love, but the climate control has me going around in circles and melting my legs at the same time!!<p>: Even at its lowest setting, it often puts out LOTS of heat. Sometimes, however, it will pass cool air, but only on the driver's side.<p>: Anyone worked on these enough to be familiar with them?? I could sure use some help with the diagnosis.<p>: I am probably also looking at heater core replacement as at start-up when the engine first reaches temp and pressure, I can smell a brief wiff (and see on the windshield) anti-freeze.<p>: I do have the new Bentley book, so one could reference that to make it easier.<p>: Bob<p></i>

SJ
02-17-2000, 09:35 AM
<i>: Bob,<br>: Sounds like the exact same problems I've had with my car. Very common, actually. Check my E32 site (link below) for my experiences with these things.<p>: Stefan<p>: : I recently bought an '88 735i 5 speed which I love, but the climate control has me going around in circles and melting my legs at the same time!!<p>: : Even at its lowest setting, it often puts out LOTS of heat. Sometimes, however, it will pass cool air, but only on the driver's side.<p>: : Anyone worked on these enough to be familiar with them?? I could sure use some help with the diagnosis.<p>: : I am probably also looking at heater core replacement as at start-up when the engine first reaches temp and pressure, I can smell a brief wiff (and see on the windshield) anti-freeze.<p>: : I do have the new Bentley book, so one could reference that to make it easier.<p>: : Bob<p></i>Bob and Stefan<br>Thought I would give you an update on mine, same symptoms. I replaced the heater valve plungers--the rubber diaphrams were shot so the hot fluid was circulating all the time. Then I tried a new 'sword'--no difference (luckily I have another car to swap parts for testing). I scratched my head for months on this--finally decided to replace the thermostat and found previous owner had installed it backwards and the rubber o ring on the wrong side. Bingo, I have heat. Thanks for your site and advice Stefan--it helped a lot. Good luck Bob.<br>SJ

Mike
02-17-2000, 07:24 PM
<i>: Bob,<br>: Sounds like the exact same problems I've had with my car. Very common, actually. Check my E32 site (link below) for my experiences with these things.<p>: Stefan<p>: : I recently bought an '88 735i 5 speed which I love, but the climate control has me going around in circles and melting my legs at the same time!!<p>: : Even at its lowest setting, it often puts out LOTS of heat. Sometimes, however, it will pass cool air, but only on the driver's side.<p>: : Anyone worked on these enough to be familiar with them?? I could sure use some help with the diagnosis.<p>: : I am probably also looking at heater core replacement as at start-up when the engine first reaches temp and pressure, I can smell a brief wiff (and see on the windshield) anti-freeze.<p>: : I do have the new Bentley book, so one could reference that to make it easier.<p>: : Bob<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index