Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Bryan Garner
02-17-2000, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can place two jack stands under my 1989 750? I am working on it and I don't really know were a good place under the car is that I can put jack stands under it.

Alex
02-17-2000, 09:32 PM
Bryan,<p>There is a jacking point about six inches forward of the rear wheels on both sides. These points are reinforced for jacking. This is probably the best place to put your jack stands.<p>Alex<br>1992 735i 167k miles<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p><br><i>: Does anyone know where I can place two jack stands under my 1989 750? I am working on it and I don't really know were a good place under the car is that I can put jack stands under it.<p></i>

Bryan Garner
02-17-2000, 11:21 PM
Ok thanks! I'll do that I thought that those were just for the car jack I didn't think about putting the jack stands under there. I'll be using a hydraulic floor jack to raise the rear of the car up. So I'll put the jackstands under the jacking points. Guees I should put a towel or something on the metal part to protect the car too.

Doug Meinen
02-18-2000, 10:00 AM
<i>: <p>I also use the jack point to place my jack stand on. On using my hydraulic floor jack I place a block of wood on it so I will not damage the under carriage with the metal part of the hydraulic floor jack. <p>Doug<br>'88 735i (94K)<p></i>

John
02-18-2000, 10:53 AM
Bryan<p>Have worked on this a bit and I put four stands under it. The rears go on the sub frame as close to the subframe bushing as possible. My reasoning is the subframe has to transmit all of the body weight to suspension, so it must be stout enough. And the wall thickness of the frame is substantially greater than the bodypanels at the jack point. Also the horn of the jackstands cradles the frame just right.<p>The front set is placed just inboard of the jack point on a reinforced section of the body stamping. Mine has a hole which probably acts as drain and was probably impaled upon a carriage during vehicle assembly.<p>Using these four points, I have had good luck staying out of the way of intended tasks and getting the car nearly 18" off the floor.<p>You will note that the sub frame runs east west and the front support area runs north south giving a lot of lateral resistance.<p>John 88 735iL (226K)<br>79 320i (250K)<br>95 Disco<p><br><i>: : <p>: I also use the jack point to place my jack stand on. On using my hydraulic floor jack I place a block of wood on it so I will not damage the under carriage with the metal part of the hydraulic floor jack. <p>: Doug<br>: '88 735i (94K)<p></i>

Scott Mc
02-18-2000, 11:31 AM
As others have noted, use subframe for jacking. These are inboard of jacking points. Although the actual location of the jacking points are stout enough to support the car, you may crush the receiver with the jack stands and it won't be able to accept the trunk jack in emergencies.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index