Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dean
02-19-2000, 10:00 AM
I've heard that only phosphate free coolant should be used in BMW's. Is there a favorate brand? What is the benefit of this? What do phosphates do to they cooling system? Thanks<p>Dean<br>88 735i<br>94 525i

Alex
02-19-2000, 12:34 PM
Dean,<p>I use the long life (5 year) Prestone antifreeze. It is both silicate and phosphate free and is available at WalMart. Silicates and phosphates, when combined with heat, cause buildup on aluminum parts, for example, cylinder head coolant channels, thermostat, water pump. Buildup on these parts then restricts coolant flow and causes overheating problems.<p>Alex Lynch<br>1992 735i<br>1972 2002<p><br><i>: I've heard that only phosphate free coolant should be used in BMW's. Is there a favorate brand? What is the benefit of this? What do phosphates do to they cooling system? Thanks<p>: Dean<br>: 88 735i<br>: 94 525i<p></i>

Victor L. Trucco
02-20-2000, 09:56 AM
I use BMW's coolant. At least you know you are getting the right stuff.<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index