Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Marsh
02-19-2000, 07:31 PM
I am not new to the world DIY, but I ATTEMPTED to replace the front struts on my 90 750IL but to no avail. Does anybody know a trick to getting the retaining collar off of the old strut. What I tried, Blow torch till glowing with a very large pipe wrench after completely soaked with liquid wrench NO MOVEMENT. Next air chizel to break it free after again heating and liquid chemicals NO MOVEMENT.<br>It is clear that the struts WILL be replaced now esp after all I have done. <br>On the plus side I got to spend an afternoon in the garage.<br>Marsh

Victor L. Trucco
02-19-2000, 10:27 PM
I ran into the same problem. I heated up the large nut after I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench. I wrapped the bolt with a Vise Grip that has the chain clamp mechanism usually used to grip muffler pipes. It grabs the best and does minimal damage. I leveraged a large box wrench on the end and it broke free. Persist and I'm sure you'll get it. Make sure to wrap the strut housing with a cloth and secure it firmly in your vise! Best of luck-<p>Victor Trucco<br>1988 735i with new Bilstein HD's :.)

Vytas
02-21-2000, 12:15 AM
<i>: I am not new to the world DIY, but I ATTEMPTED to replace the front struts on my 90 750IL but to no avail. Does anybody know a trick to getting the retaining collar off of the old strut. What I tried, Blow torch till glowing with a very large pipe wrench after completely soaked with liquid wrench NO MOVEMENT. Next air chizel to break it free after again heating and liquid chemicals NO MOVEMENT.<br>: It is clear that the struts WILL be replaced now esp after all I have done. <br>: On the plus side I got to spend an afternoon in the garage.<br>: Marsh<p></i>I've pressed mine in a wise, then a 20'' pipe wrench did the job without heating for one of them. However, the other had to be cut with Dremel tool. Bilsteins come with their own collars anyway. Good luck.<br>Vytas, 91 750iL with new Bilstein sports

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index