Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SteveE
02-21-2000, 05:25 PM
735I SE 1988 110.000miles 240/45 VR 415. For your information: On straight roads my car had a habit of wondering along the road. It seemed to want to steer its-self! The free play while stationery at the steering wheel seemed to be excessive – 1.5 inches. So the air filter housing was removed and the 17mm locking nut on the top of the steering box was undone. (If you are an octopus there is no need to remove the air filter housing). The straight slotted adjusting screw, after marking its position with white paint, was gently screwed in until a resistance was felt. This amounted to about seven minute’s movement against a wristwatch face. Then I backed the screw off by one minute and screwed down the 17-mm locking nut, watching to ensure that the adjusting screw did not move with the locking nut. Refitted the air cleaner and went for a drive down the road. Well, the car feels totally different. The steering now is very precise, with no wondering, and it still returns to centre if the steering wheel is allowed to slip through the fingers.

Gilbert
02-21-2000, 06:08 PM
<i>: 735I SE 1988 110.000miles 240/45 VR 415. For your information: On straight roads my car had a habit of wondering along the road. It seemed to want to steer its-self! The free play while stationery at the steering wheel seemed to be excessive – 1.5 inches. So the air filter housing was removed and the 17mm locking nut on the top of the steering box was undone. (If you are an octopus there is no need to remove the air filter housing). The straight slotted adjusting screw, after marking its position with white paint, was gently screwed in until a resistance was felt. This amounted to about seven minute’s movement against a wristwatch face. Then I backed the screw off by one minute and screwed down the 17-mm locking nut, watching to ensure that the adjusting screw did not move with the locking nut. Refitted the air cleaner and went for a drive down the road. Well, the car feels totally different. The steering now is very precise, with no wondering, and it still returns to centre if the steering wheel is allowed to slip through the fingers. <p></i>

sj
02-22-2000, 10:26 AM
<i>: : 735I SE 1988 110.000miles 240/45 VR 415. For your information: On straight roads my car had a habit of wondering along the road. It seemed to want to steer its-self! The free play while stationery at the steering wheel seemed to be excessive – 1.5 inches. So the air filter housing was removed and the 17mm locking nut on the top of the steering box was undone. (If you are an octopus there is no need to remove the air filter housing). The straight slotted adjusting screw, after marking its position with white paint, was gently screwed in until a resistance was felt. This amounted to about seven minute’s movement against a wristwatch face. Then I backed the screw off by one minute and screwed down the 17-mm locking nut, watching to ensure that the adjusting screw did not move with the locking nut. Refitted the air cleaner and went for a drive down the road. Well, the car feels totally different. The steering now is very precise, with no wondering, and it still returns to centre if the steering wheel is allowed to slip through the fingers. <p></i>I have also experienced a loose pitman arm off the steering box to the steering linkage. this was loose so the whole linkage was able to provide the 'wander'. Tightening it up took care of it.<br>SJ

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index