Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Tim Chester
02-23-2000, 04:18 PM
My father is in the middle of negotiating a deal on a 735i E32 1989 with 170 000 kms on the clock.The price is ok at $30 000 AUD which seems to be the going rate down under.The car is to be toatlly inspected and repaired by the Bmw Distributor in our state.It has full service history and one (fastidious) owner,ask the head of the service department in the BMW dealership,was told he used to run for cover when the owner came because he wanted all these little things done while the car was in for a service!<br>However all this aside my father is reluctant to buy for 2 reasons <br>1 is age...11 years old is not young anymore...what kind of probs will he run into now on this sort of vehicle.<br>Milage....170 000 kms (102000 miles) ....my father keeps his BMW's for about the 350 000 kms (current one being 525e or in the states 528e)...what sort of milage can he expect to get out of the M30 3.4 liter engine...you can expect the car to be serviced regualary for eg oil changes at 5000 km (3000 miles).I just want any opinions and advice on to what to expect from this car...I seem to think it is a good buy?<br>Any help would be appreciated .Thanx in advance guys!<br>Tim Chester<br>E34 535iA 88<br>a 735i in a E34 body

Paul F
02-23-2000, 04:45 PM
I have a car of the same age, $30000 seems extortionate, is that really what they go for down under? Mine is a UK car and cost me £4500 two years ago.<p>Mechanically I think the E34s are not vastly different, ie the driveline is basically the same (propshaft is different), most of the potential problems will be the same as for your car. <p>Problems I have had include:<p>Steering box - rebuilt at cost of £220<br>Radiator - re-cored <br>Sticking air flow meter - £200 for new unit<br>Worn camshaft - Yet to be dealt with<br>Various electrical bugs - dry joints, failed relays etc - mainly down to age.<p>I average about 26mpg (22 per USgal), rising to about 29(24.5) on motorways. <p>Hope this helps<br>Paul 1989 735iSE 152k<p>

John H.
02-23-2000, 07:15 PM
Tim - I bought my 1989 735i-black w/gray interior-2 1/2 years ago for $11,200. It had 79,000 miles on it at that time and, now, has 106,000. I took a chance on it since it had no maintenance records with it, but, it did show fairly well. So far, I've replaced the drive shaft center bearing ($450.00), the infamous "mustard colored" relay ($45.00) and the oil pressure sender ($10.00). Other than routine maintenance the car has not cost very much to maintain. Very reliable and a lot of car for the money. I feel very confident in taking it for a 1500 mile trip and expecting everything to run smoothly. <p>

John
02-23-2000, 08:54 PM
Tim,<br>I know your game!! You just want to get your hands on the 5'r. I had two teenage daughters who did the same thing to me 8 years ago.<g><p>Judging from the pricing, I would have to guess the car is at the local BMW dealer? That has its good points and bad points. Good, because the dealer's here in the states are pretty good about supplying service info and standing behind the older 7's for a little while anyways. Bad, they ask twice as much as private sales.<p>We purchased our 735iL in 1992 for $13,000USD with 112k miles. It had good local dealer service but an owner who was becoming exasperated with $1,000 a month repairs. Needless to say, I put a stop to that. After an initial outlay of $1,700 for parts to get everything repaired it has averaged about $200 per month (except for the teenage daughter's crashes) for the last 8 years and 115K miles. <p>At this age of car, I would think the 735i without the self leveling suspension would be preferable as we are seeing a rash of problems on the n/g at this age. The mechanical systems should not be a problem at this mileage. Electical systems are of function of age, not use so these tend to start developing gremlins. The only other consideration would be UV attack to the interior upholstry.<p>Mileage: About 25 MPG Highway and 16 MPG in town.<p>They are fun cars for their size.<p>John 88 735iL (226K)<br>79 320i (250K)<br>95 Disco<p><i>: My father is in the middle of negotiating a deal on a 735i E32 1989 with 170 000 kms on the clock.The price is ok at $30 000 AUD which seems to be the going rate down under.The car is to be toatlly inspected and repaired by the Bmw Distributor in our state.It has full service history and one (fastidious) owner,ask the head of the service department in the BMW dealership,was told he used to run for cover when the owner came because he wanted all these little things done while the car was in for a service!<br>: However all this aside my father is reluctant to buy for 2 reasons <br>: 1 is age...11 years old is not young anymore...what kind of probs will he run into now on this sort of vehicle.<br>: Milage....170 000 kms (102000 miles) ....my father keeps his BMW's for about the 350 000 kms (current one being 525e or in the states 528e)...what sort of milage can he expect to get out of the M30 3.4 liter engine...you can expect the car to be serviced regualary for eg oil changes at 5000 km (3000 miles).I just want any opinions and advice on to what to expect from this car...I seem to think it is a good buy?<br>: Any help would be appreciated .Thanx in advance guys!<br>: Tim Chester<br>: E34 535iA 88<br>: a 735i in a E34 body<p></i>

Alex
02-23-2000, 11:20 PM
Tim,<p>I have had my 1992 735i for about three and a half years. I bought it with 61,000 miles and now it is just rolling up to 169,00 miles. I had it checked by an independent mechanic when I bought the car and I asked him what would be the approximate maintenance costs. He said that for the E32, count on about $125.00 per month. You would not have to spend this every month, but when you do have to buy parts, they are usually expensive. I also do all my own maintenance so I do not have to factor in labour costs. So far, in my three and a half years of ownership, the mechanic's estimate was very accurate.<p>Parts I have had to replace include control arms, front and rear brake rotors, radiator, A/C compressor, fan clutch, front wheel bearings. All of these except maybe the wheel bearings are standard replacement items on the E32. I also have various electrical gremlins (suspension levelling message but my car does not have suspension levelling) but nothing serious. I do need to replace the transmission soon and this is also not unusual for E32s with automatic transmissions. This, unfortunately, is not an inexpensive part.<p>Alex Lynch<br>1992 735i<br>1972 2002<p><br><i>: My father is in the middle of negotiating a deal on a 735i E32 1989 with 170 000 kms on the clock.The price is ok at $30 000 AUD which seems to be the going rate down under.The car is to be toatlly inspected and repaired by the Bmw Distributor in our state.It has full service history and one (fastidious) owner,ask the head of the service department in the BMW dealership,was told he used to run for cover when the owner came because he wanted all these little things done while the car was in for a service!<br>: However all this aside my father is reluctant to buy for 2 reasons <br>: 1 is age...11 years old is not young anymore...what kind of probs will he run into now on this sort of vehicle.<br>: Milage....170 000 kms (102000 miles) ....my father keeps his BMW's for about the 350 000 kms (current one being 525e or in the states 528e)...what sort of milage can he expect to get out of the M30 3.4 liter engine...you can expect the car to be serviced regualary for eg oil changes at 5000 km (3000 miles).I just want any opinions and advice on to what to expect from this car...I seem to think it is a good buy?<br>: Any help would be appreciated .Thanx in advance guys!<br>: Tim Chester<br>: E34 535iA 88<br>: a 735i in a E34 body<p></i>

Bryan Garner
02-24-2000, 10:52 AM
I have a 1989 750Il with 67,000 on it It's a great car except for maintnence. We spend a coupple of hundred dollars on it each year Hydraulic problems, Brakes ect.. But It's a great car

Mark H
02-25-2000, 07:37 PM
Coincidentally I own a 1989, 735i with 170,000klms on the clock, live in Queensland, Australia. What state are you in? The price you’re talking is about right here for a well maintained, good condition car.<br>I purchase mine 12 months ago when it had 147,000 on the clock. In that time I have had very few problems (most were pre-existing) but I needed to:<br>· replace the heater taps (climate control was erratic) $290.00 plus labour..<br>· replace water pump $124.00 + labour<br>· replaced radiator hoses and belts (top and bottom hoses $67.00, all three belts $68.00 + labour)<br>· Had the inlet valves decoked, to fix a stumble off idle $382.27 including labour<br>Some parts are suprisingly reasonable whilst other are surprisingly unreasonable e.g. $9ea for the clips that hold the mats in place - you need 9 of them. The services are also painful - just paid $900 for a routine Inspection II.<br>Apart from the above, and as I said, a lot of that was to get the car back up to 100% the car is very reliable and a pleasure to drive, which I do on a daily basis. Doesn't use a drop of oil between services which pans out at about 12,000klm intervals (no pun intended).<br>Good luck with your decision. <p>

Rod
03-08-2000, 06:55 PM
<i>: My father is in the middle of negotiating a deal on a 735i E32 1989 with 170 000 kms on the clock.The price is ok at $30 000 AUD which seems to be the going rate down under.The car is to be toatlly inspected and repaired by the Bmw Distributor in our state.It has full service history and one (fastidious) owner,ask the head of the service department in the BMW dealership,was told he used to run for cover when the owner came because he wanted all these little things done while the car was in for a service!<br>: However all this aside my father is reluctant to buy for 2 reasons <br>: 1 is age...11 years old is not young anymore...what kind of probs will he run into now on this sort of vehicle.<br>: Milage....170 000 kms (102000 miles) ....my father keeps his BMW's for about the 350 000 kms (current one being 525e or in the states 528e)...what sort of milage can he expect to get out of the M30 3.4 liter engine...you can expect the car to be serviced regualary for eg oil changes at 5000 km (3000 miles).I just want any opinions and advice on to what to expect from this car...I seem to think it is a good buy?<br>: Any help would be appreciated .Thanx in advance guys!<br>: Tim Chester<br>: E34 535iA 88<br>: a 735i in a E34 body<p></i>

Rod M
03-08-2000, 07:08 PM
<i>: My father is in the middle of negotiating a deal on a 735i E32 1989 with 170 000 kms on the clock.The price is ok at $30 000 AUD which seems to be the going rate down under.The car is to be toatlly inspected and repaired by the Bmw Distributor in our state.It has full service history and one (fastidious) owner,ask the head of the service department in the BMW dealership,was told he used to run for cover when the owner came because he wanted all these little things done while the car was in for a service!<br>: However all this aside my father is reluctant to buy for 2 reasons <br>: 1 is age...11 years old is not young anymore...what kind of probs will he run into now on this sort of vehicle.<br>: Milage....170 000 kms (102000 miles) ....my father keeps his BMW's for about the 350 000 kms (current one being 525e or in the states 528e)...what sort of milage can he expect to get out of the M30 3.4 liter engine...you can expect the car to be serviced regualary for eg oil changes at 5000 km (3000 miles).I just want any opinions and advice on to what to expect from this car...I seem to think it is a good buy?<br>: Any help would be appreciated .Thanx in advance guys!<br>: Tim Chester<br>: E34 535iA 88<br>: a 735i in a E34 body<p></i>Three years ago I purchased a 735I for $10,000 U S. Teh dealer put in a new air conditioner, a new set if michelions, a complete tune up and oil change. I've had a few small problems like new brakes, a water pump, I had to re string the cables in my drivers seat and a washer sensor replaced all together about $800.00. Add a couple of oil changes and a tune up and the total investment is just over $1,000. I now have 158,000 miles get 18+ mpg and dont burn any oil.<br>I am sure that over the next few years more minor problems will pop up, but the car still rides and drivel like a new car. What a joy.<br>My suggestion is have it checked out and unless there are major problems like valves Rods Rings or having to rebuild the tranny you will be quite pleased with it.<br>Rod

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index