Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dan
02-25-2000, 05:37 PM
I am having problems with my dash, radio, gear selector, etc lights. They are very dim and the wheel that should make them brighter does nothing. I'm not sure if this is a case of abad wiring or if there is a connection behind the dash the the wheel is not making. I haven't gotten my Bentley manual yet, as I'm sure it would have the information I need.<br> Also I got a CD-Changer from a friend and it is the alpine model and my head-unit is a pioneer, are the two compatible? I didn't pay anything for it but it doesn't have a magazine with it I would have to order one, thought I'd check and see before I blow more than 30 bucks and find out it isn't compatible.<br>Thanks<p>Dan<br>

Eric Fowler
02-25-2000, 05:59 PM
<i>: I am having problems with my dash, radio, gear selector, etc lights. They are very dim and the wheel that should make them brighter does nothing. I'm not sure if this is a case of abad wiring or if there is a connection behind the dash the the wheel is not making. I haven't gotten my Bentley manual yet, as I'm sure it would have the information I need.<br>: Also I got a CD-Changer from a friend and it is the alpine model and my head-unit is a pioneer, are the two compatible? I didn't pay anything for it but it doesn't have a magazine with it I would have to order one, thought I'd check and see before I blow more than 30 bucks and find out it isn't compatible.<br>: Thanks<p>: Dan<p></i><br>The CD changer will not work. There is really no other way around this. Actually, the only way it really would work is if it is FM Modulated. If this is the case, it will work with any radio as long as you can tune it to the station that the changer requires. On the lights, just a guess but the dimmer switch is probably broken, not the wiring. That is much more likely.

sam
02-25-2000, 06:16 PM
Unplug the dimmer switch, and short it out appropriately, it will go to full brightness. My switch needs serious cleaning, and if adjusted, will go black, then make a noise like theres dirt in it, and then come back around when you wiggle it around some more. take the switch out, take it apart (carefully!) and clean it will water, dry it out, put it back in. <p>Same thing for transmission gear select. Seems people without the cupholders spill stuff on the switch, mine got stuck in "M" once, it was a pain, took 10 minutes to clean it out with hot hot water, de-oxit (started to eat the plastic), water again, then a teeny weeny bit of wd-40 to keep it from rusting.<p><br><i>: : I am having problems with my dash, radio, gear selector, etc lights. They are very dim and the wheel that should make them brighter does nothing. I'm not sure if this is a case of abad wiring or if there is a connection behind the dash the the wheel is not making. I haven't gotten my Bentley manual yet, as I'm sure it would have the information I need.<br>: : Also I got a CD-Changer from a friend and it is the alpine model and my head-unit is a pioneer, are the two compatible? I didn't pay anything for it but it doesn't have a magazine with it I would have to order one, thought I'd check and see before I blow more than 30 bucks and find out it isn't compatible.<br>: : Thanks<p>: : Dan<p>: <br>: The CD changer will not work. There is really no other way around this. Actually, the only way it really would work is if it is FM Modulated. If this is the case, it will work with any radio as long as you can tune it to the station that the changer requires. On the lights, just a guess but the dimmer switch is probably broken, not the wiring. That is much more likely. <p></i>

Dan
02-26-2000, 01:42 PM
<i>: Unplug the dimmer switch, and short it out appropriately, it will go to full brightness. My switch needs serious cleaning, and if adjusted, will go black, then make a noise like theres dirt in it, and then come back around when you wiggle it around some more. take the switch out, take it apart (carefully!) and clean it will water, dry it out, put it back in. <p>: Same thing for transmission gear select. Seems people without the cupholders spill stuff on the switch, mine got stuck in "M" once, it was a pain, took 10 minutes to clean it out with hot hot water, de-oxit (started to eat the plastic), water again, then a teeny weeny bit of wd-40 to keep it from rusting.<p>: <br>: : : I am having problems with my dash, radio, gear selector, etc lights. They are very dim and the wheel that should make them brighter does nothing. I'm not sure if this is a case of abad wiring or if there is a connection behind the dash the the wheel is not making. I haven't gotten my Bentley manual yet, as I'm sure it would have the information I need.<br>: : : Also I got a CD-Changer from a friend and it is the alpine model and my head-unit is a pioneer, are the two compatible? I didn't pay anything for it but it doesn't have a magazine with it I would have to order one, thought I'd check and see before I blow more than 30 bucks and find out it isn't compatible.<br>: : : Thanks<p>: : : Dan<p>: : <br>: : The CD changer will not work. There is really no other way around this. Actually, the only way it really would work is if it is FM Modulated. If this is the case, it will work with any radio as long as you can tune it to the station that the changer requires. On the lights, just a guess but the dimmer switch is probably broken, not the wiring. That is much more likely. <p></i><br> Thanks for the info. I went to the dealer and they had a magazine I could use to see if the changer worked and thankfully it did. So I got a changer for $31.98.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index