Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ted
03-02-2000, 09:43 AM
what do people think of the K & N air filter system? you know, the sporty-lookin one that replaces the BMW-installed air filter system. It promises a considerable change in performance, and that it is easy to clean and maintain. Thanks.

sam
03-02-2000, 01:57 PM
Not really much performance. Maybe 2-3hp at peak rpm if you're lucky, BUT it is washable, and guaranteed for ever :)<br>That makes it worthwhile to me. (Considering my 750il requires two air filters!!).<p>Get one. definitely recommended.<p>have one on the taurus sho and mustang 5.0 and they sound a little throatier in the growl. Never noticed it in my 750il because its quiet as a mouse at any rpm range.<p><i>: what do people think of the K & N air filter system? you know, the sporty-lookin one that replaces the BMW-installed air filter system. It promises a considerable change in performance, and that it is easy to clean and maintain. Thanks. <p></i>

Randy
03-02-2000, 03:03 PM
I had the K&N system on my 735i until Jim Conforti (The Shark) reported that in independent tests the K&N let more dirt into the engine than the stock system and that the performance gains were negligable. The only thing I really noticed was that the engine was louder when you got on it. You can check the archives on the uuc digest for Jim's report.

Isiah
03-02-2000, 03:58 PM
Sam, I think you're talking about the filters that fit in the original air box. I think the other guy is talking about the filters that require that you remove the air box and it is shaped like a cone.<p>Isiah<br><i>: Not really much performance. Maybe 2-3hp at peak rpm if you're lucky, BUT it is washable, and guaranteed for ever :)<br>: That makes it worthwhile to me. (Considering my 750il requires two air filters!!).<p>: Get one. definitely recommended.<p>: have one on the taurus sho and mustang 5.0 and they sound a little throatier in the growl. Never noticed it in my 750il because its quiet as a mouse at any rpm range.<p>: : what do people think of the K & N air filter system? you know, the sporty-lookin one that replaces the BMW-installed air filter system. It promises a considerable change in performance, and that it is easy to clean and maintain. Thanks. <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index