Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Someone please help me!! URGENT!!

Dr Paul
03-03-2000, 08:22 PM
Four days ago, my 750iL e32, ran out of fuel totally due to a failed fuel level sensor. After the car died off, i did not realise the problems and i kept trying to turn on the car... the real cause (empty tank) was not realised until the viecheal was tow back to garage. Now after we have services the car and with half tank full of fuel, the car can start but very very choky when driven. It has a serious down on power! I am suspecting that it might be the fuel pump in the back is burned out (possible??) and could it be that the engine is still in a "limp-home" mode? that require a reset back? My area do not have a qualified mechanic to fix BMW, the closest is about 500 KM away! i am very confused on what to do next and worried too. i need some solid advice!! someone please ...

Andy Peavy
03-03-2000, 11:05 PM
Many BMW's fuel pumps are cooled by fuel. When the fuel runs out, the pump suffers.<p>You have a valid concern about the condition of your fuel pump.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: [email protected]<p><i>: Four days ago, my 750iL e32, ran out of fuel totally due to a failed fuel level sensor. After the car died off, i did not realise the problems and i kept trying to turn on the car... the real cause (empty tank) was not realised until the viecheal was tow back to garage. Now after we have services the car and with half tank full of fuel, the car can start but very very choky when driven. It has a serious down on power! I am suspecting that it might be the fuel pump in the back is burned out (possible??) and could it be that the engine is still in a "limp-home" mode? that require a reset back? My area do not have a qualified mechanic to fix BMW, the closest is about 500 KM away! i am very confused on what to do next and worried too. i need some solid advice!! someone please ... <p></i>

sam
03-03-2000, 11:24 PM
Like every car, when you run out of fuel , all<br>the junk in the car clogs the fuel filter, replace. I remember this cause my taurus SHO did the same thing in the same situation. $60 for the damn thing!.(part only!)<p>If the car is not in "EML" (the light) mode, its running on the full bank. Replace the fuel filters when running out of gas. also add a couple of bottles of fuel cleaner(additive) to tank to help while you're there. <p><i>: Many BMW's fuel pumps are cooled by fuel. When the fuel runs out, the pump suffers.<p>: You have a valid concern about the condition of your fuel pump.<p>: Andy Peavy<br>: 91 535i<br>: email: [email protected]<p>: : Four days ago, my 750iL e32, ran out of fuel totally due to a failed fuel level sensor. After the car died off, i did not realise the problems and i kept trying to turn on the car... the real cause (empty tank) was not realised until the viecheal was tow back to garage. Now after we have services the car and with half tank full of fuel, the car can start but very very choky when driven. It has a serious down on power! I am suspecting that it might be the fuel pump in the back is burned out (possible??) and could it be that the engine is still in a "limp-home" mode? that require a reset back? My area do not have a qualified mechanic to fix BMW, the closest is about 500 KM away! i am very confused on what to do next and worried too. i need some solid advice!! someone please ... <p></i>

craig
03-04-2000, 10:28 AM
<i>: Four days ago, my 750iL e32, ran out of fuel totally due to a failed fuel level sensor. After the car died off, i did not realise the problems and i kept trying to turn on the car... the real cause (empty tank) was not realised until the viecheal was tow back to garage. Now after we have services the car and with half tank full of fuel, the car can start but very very choky when driven. It has a serious down on power! I am suspecting that it might be the fuel pump in the back is burned out (possible??) and could it be that the engine is still in a "limp-home" mode? that require a reset back? My area do not have a qualified mechanic to fix BMW, the closest is about 500 KM away! i am very confused on what to do next and worried too. i need some solid advice!! someone please ... <p></i> i'd check the fuel pressure at several points after the pump, closest point to the pump first... just some things i'd look for... water in the system...most injectors will not pass water the car will run and you might be able to coax it up a few hundred rpm but it'll have no power...by all means replace the filters blow out the lines with air (don't blow back to the tank) i'd bet the real problem is in the pumps it only takes a small about of trash to keep em from building any real pressure...pull em, take em apart, clean em out replace your filters, blow out the lines...you may have to pull ea injector and blow it out also...sounds like alot of work but you are piss'n in the wind if you don't do it all...& next time keep gas in the car.... i'm not sure on yours but alot of pumps are "sealed" units...i've never had a problem unseal'n em and clean'n em out...<br>

Callan
03-05-2000, 09:02 PM
there are two of them on an IL model, just like all the other double parts your 750il has. The fine screen at the bottom of either pump can get crudded up with debris, so having the 2 pumps pulled out and checked after checking fuel pressure at the 2 fuel rails is a good idea, if the pressure is off on one side of the engine. Usually if one fuel pump fuse blows, you get a poor running V-12 AND a check engine light, that if read ,will show a lean mixture fault from lack of fuel, BUT, check both fuel pump fuses just to be sure.<p>All later BMW fuel pumps don't as well as the older models did when you run dry on gas. The V-8s are even worse than the V-12s, you can almost plan on a new pump if an M-60/M-62 was run out of gas.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index