Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Marc W
04-05-1999, 04:25 PM
I had to park in a public garage today and when I came back I found my car with white spots all over the hood and the roof. There was something hanging from the ceiling that looked like salt icicles from which water was dripping. I figured no big deal I clean it up when I get home. To my suprise just plain water didn't cut it. Since I have an orient blue car the spots are very obvious and I would like to know how to get rid of them without damaging the paint.<p>On another note does anybody have problems with the oem CD changer in their E46? I installed it myself and everyhting seemd to be working just fine. It even played my CD-R's but lately it has problems with non red-book cd's. The red-book standard limits music cd's to 78 minutes but I own many cd's that are longer than that. I never had problems playing them in any cd changer or player. The cd's are not scratched at all. But when I try to play them in the oem changer they don't work. Either the headunit tells me that the slot where the cd is in has no disk or it will just sit there displaying the first track but it wont play. Sometimes I can get it to play the second track but again when I skip backwards to the first track the changer will just hang. Has anybody else experienced problems like this ? Can I just go back to the dealer where I bought the changer from and have them look at it to make sure I didnt get a faulty unit ??<p>Thanks in advance,<p>Marc W

Rudy
04-05-1999, 05:14 PM
Hey, you don't happen to live in the Princeton, NJ area do you? I saw an orient blue 328i in Princeton that had what seems to be your problem.<p>Rudy

Joe
04-05-1999, 06:30 PM
My experience with dealers concerning CD changers is that they don't know anything about them, nor do they pretend to. When I had a problem with my changer they pulled it and shipped it off to a centralized repair facility. They received a reconditioned unit from the same facility and installed it. The repair facility then sends the info back to the dealer concerning what was wrong with the original changer within about 30 days.

Gilbert
04-05-1999, 07:45 PM
First, about the salt stains. Had a similar problem, but they came off when I washed the car. If you are not going to wash for a while, and want it cleaned, try Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It works well at removing sap, salt, and bird droppings. Spray on, wipe off, sort of thing.<p>As for the CD changer. I have not even tried playing CDr's in it. I wouldn't know if the 78+ minute problem is a fault of your equipment, or an equipment fault in general. If I had a 78+ minute CD, I'd try it in my CD changer to check. I don't know if you want to bring the unit in and get a refurbished one. The same problem might occur. Then you'd have a refurbished instead of your original. Maybe you could go to the dealer with a CD, and hope they have a changer(in a car) that you can test it in. Also, try the local CCA meeting--I'm sure someone there will be similarly equipped.<p>BTW, if you could tell me what CD's in specific, maybe I have one, or know someone that'll lend me a copy to experiment with my changer.

Marc W
04-05-1999, 09:18 PM
<i>: Hey, you don't happen to live in the Princeton, NJ area do you? I saw an orient blue 328i in Princeton that had what seems to be your problem.<p>: Rudy<p></i>

Marc W
04-05-1999, 09:19 PM
<i>: First, about the salt stains. Had a similar problem, but they came off when I washed the car. If you are not going to wash for a while, and want it cleaned, try Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It works well at removing sap, salt, and bird droppings. Spray on, wipe off, sort of thing.<p>: As for the CD changer. I have not even tried playing CDr's in it. I wouldn't know if the 78+ minute problem is a fault of your equipment, or an equipment fault in general. If I had a 78+ minute CD, I'd try it in my CD changer to check. I don't know if you want to bring the unit in and get a refurbished one. The same problem might occur. Then you'd have a refurbished instead of your original. Maybe you could go to the dealer with a CD, and hope they have a changer(in a car) that you can test it in. Also, try the local CCA meeting--I'm sure someone there will be similarly equipped.<p>: BTW, if you could tell me what CD's in specific, maybe I have one, or know someone that'll lend me a copy to experiment with my changer.<p></i>

Gilbert
04-05-1999, 09:24 PM
<i>: : First, about the salt stains. Had a similar problem, but they came off when I washed the car. If you are not going to wash for a while, and want it cleaned, try Meguiar's Quick Detailer. It works well at removing sap, salt, and bird droppings. Spray on, wipe off, sort of thing.<p>: : As for the CD changer. I have not even tried playing CDr's in it. I wouldn't know if the 78+ minute problem is a fault of your equipment, or an equipment fault in general. If I had a 78+ minute CD, I'd try it in my CD changer to check. I don't know if you want to bring the unit in and get a refurbished one. The same problem might occur. Then you'd have a refurbished instead of your original. Maybe you could go to the dealer with a CD, and hope they have a changer(in a car) that you can test it in. Also, try the local CCA meeting--I'm sure someone there will be similarly equipped.<p>: : BTW, if you could tell me what CD's in specific, maybe I have one, or know someone that'll lend me a copy to experiment with my changer.<p></i>

eom
04-05-1999, 09:41 PM
<i>: I had to park in a public garage today and when I came back I found my car with white spots all over the hood and the roof. There was something hanging from the ceiling that looked like salt icicles from which water was dripping. I figured no big deal I clean it up when I get home. To my suprise just plain water didn't cut it. Since I have an orient blue car the spots are very obvious and I would like to know how to get rid of them without damaging the paint.<p>: On another note does anybody have problems with the oem CD changer in their E46? I installed it myself and everyhting seemd to be working just fine. It even played my CD-R's but lately it has problems with non red-book cd's. The red-book standard limits music cd's to 78 minutes but I own many cd's that are longer than that. I never had problems playing them in any cd changer or player. The cd's are not scratched at all. But when I try to play them in the oem changer they don't work. Either the headunit tells me that the slot where the cd is in has no disk or it will just sit there displaying the first track but it wont play. Sometimes I can get it to play the second track but again when I skip backwards to the first track the changer will just hang. Has anybody else experienced problems like this ? Can I just go back to the dealer where I bought the changer from and have them look at it to make sure I didnt get a faulty unit ??<p>: Thanks in advance,<p>: Marc W <p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index