Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Tom
04-06-1999, 12:19 PM
I tried today to copy one but the CD nav reader didn't want the CD : seem that there's a 0-line coded that the CD-writer cannot copy.<p>Someone succeeded ?

Jacob
04-06-1999, 10:20 PM
Yes, it's possible. However, it takes specific software and you can't do it from a direct CD to CD burn. You have to build an image file of the CD you want to copy on your hard drive first and then manipulate that image file to match the key bits on the original CD. Personally, I don't believe in software piracy, and I can't think of a reason why I'd want to back up a CD that I'll replace with a newer version in 6 months.<p><i>: I tried today to copy one but the CD nav reader didn't want the CD : seem that there's a 0-line coded that the CD-writer cannot copy.<p>: Someone succeeded ?<p></i>

FrankRizzo
04-07-1999, 06:44 AM
<i>: I tried today to copy one but the CD nav reader didn't want the CD : seem that there's a 0-line coded that the CD-writer cannot copy.<p>: Someone succeeded ?<p></i><p>Who makes the CDs??

SmcD
04-07-1999, 08:33 AM
<i>: Yes, it's possible. However, it takes specific software and you can't do it from a direct CD to CD burn. You have to build an image file of the CD you want to copy on your hard drive first and then manipulate that image file to match the key bits on the original CD. Personally, I don't believe in software piracy, and I can't think of a reason why I'd want to back up a CD that I'll replace with a newer version in 6 months.<br></i><br>I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you're not, why would you want to get a newer version every 6 months? The roads don't change that fast and it costs $$$, right?

Jacob
04-08-1999, 05:01 AM
No, I'm wasn't being sarcastic. I live in California - Silicon Valley, and the roads here DO change that much in 6 months. Obviously, most the major roads don't, but for major road areas I don't need my NAV cd - I either already know where I'm going or the signs are obvious and well placed. For those areas that I would most rely on my NAV cd, they change quite a bit due to the booming economy and new construction in the Bay Area. Don't forget that the NAV cd is not only for roads, but it can tell you where nearby restaurants, etc are.<p>You get one free 6month cd after you purchase the NAV unit. But yes, from that point on, each cd update would cost you more money. However, if you're going to use it and you think it gives you value, then why not buy it?<p>I'm not stating that the original poster was trying to pirate anything - I carefully avoided that issue and included the assumption that it might have been for backup reasons. But I will say that if you're willing to use some software but not pay for it, then you're a software pirate that hurts everybody else in terms of having that cost passed on to those that do pay for the item.<p>I included the statement about getting a cd every 6 months because I also own a Garmin StreetPilot GPS system which has a detailed map like the BMW NAV cd, and the data cartridge for my area needs to be changed already and I've only had the thing since last December.<p>: I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you're not, why would you want to get a newer version every 6 months? The roads don't change that fast and it costs $$$, right?<p></i>

Jack
04-08-1999, 09:05 AM
<p><i>: : I tried today to copy one but the CD nav reader didn't want the CD : seem that there's a 0-line coded that the CD-writer cannot copy.<p>: : Someone succeeded ?<p><br>: Who makes the CDs??<p></i>

Brad D
04-08-1999, 04:46 PM
<i>: : I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you're not, why would you want to get a newer version every 6 months? The roads don't change that fast and it costs $$$, right?<br></i><p>No, but the CD's change that fast. The CD's do not contain every road. They are constantly being updated, but it is my understanding that they are still a long, long way from having every road.<p>When you buy the nav system with your BMW you get to choose a region CD, and you get a free update 6-months later. You must buy a subscription to continue to get future updates beyond that.<p>Brad D

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index