Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jim
04-07-1999, 11:21 AM
Hi,<br>I was wondering if you can go to jail for going too fast, in states other than Montana.<p>For example, someone who has a racing background is going along a stretch of interstate with no one around. They get pulled over for going 110 mph(cop hiding behind a billboard). Can they tow your car and take you to jail? <br>Or do you always just get a ticket and appear in court in a couple months.<br>Or should you always stay 30 or less over the speed limit.<p>Reckless driving is one thing, speeding in a 328i on a sunny day with dry weather, can see for miles and no other cars around is another.<p>Of course, I know the two generic answers: <br>"It's up to the cop." <br>"Every state has it's own law."<p>I'm lookinge for personal experiences and what you think.<p>Thanks,<br>Jim

Chris B.
04-07-1999, 12:01 PM
While it is true that it "depends on the cop" and "each state has its own laws" such speeds could be easily classified as reckless endangerment, which may very well earn you bonus miles towards the pokey. Don't be fooled into thinking that Montana has a no holds barred approached to speeding. You can be ticketed in Montana for driving too fast or recklessly "for the conditions" and it happens all the time.<p>Back to your question, I have no personal experience with being arrested for my Gordonesque driving demeanor, but one could feasably expect to be arrested for driving 110 in a 65 zone. Just think of a justification that the cop will buy for your speed (nearly twice the limit, for instance.) There aren't many, are there?<p>Anyway, have fun, but don't get too crazy. I can distinctly remember going 159mph. down a divided four lane highway a few years back and can only shudder to think of what the consequences would have been had something gone horribly wrong or had I gotten pulled over. However, the sensation was unequivocably incredible.<p>G'day.<br>

Bill
04-07-1999, 12:32 PM
Two comments, first, I believe I read the the Montana lack of speed limit is ending soon, it was ruled unconstitutional or something, too vauge.<br> <br>As for attempting ludicrous speed, ("Spaceballs" issues notwithstanding) one of my friends lost his license for ~6 months for ~60 in a 25 in lovely Waterville, Maine. The road goes from 55mph to 25mph in a very short span, pretty stupid, huh? I think the cop was also more than happy to bust a 18 year old in a shiny new Volvo 740 turbo. As a side note I thought that car was fun to drive, my 328i is so much more enjoyable!<br>/bb

Steve
04-07-1999, 12:33 PM
My father had an automotive business with plenty of resources for a car guy like myself. He also was an ex-auto racer. When I was in my late teens and early twenties we both actively drag raced a pure race car we had built together. We even won our Super Stock class while being filmed by Wide World of Sports, some 30+ years ago. Well on occasion I used to street race this car with anyone who wanted to challenge the "fastest car around" title. There usually was a lot of money at stake ($1000+ for me, not mentioning the side-bets). We actually brought our cars to the race site on trailers and always had a large crowd coming to watch. Well, on one night when I had a race planned with a Hemi Barracuda, apparently the race rumor word spread a little too far--the police knew about it! In a nutshell they set us up for the kill. They let us race unknowing to the fact that they had a road-block set up for us just over a rise in a fairly flat two-lane road. Believe me, when I came over that rise at 140+ mph, I must have turned white at the site of their lights and the road block. I had to lock-up my brakes to keep from hitting them. Just picture yourself sliding sideways, brakes locked-up, approaching the road block and stopping literally 6 feet away from their cars. Quite embarrassing to say the least. OK, Iíll wrap this up now. The officer came over to my vehicle and asked for my drivers license. He put my license in his pocket without even looking at it. I saw the same thing happen with the other guy. I also overhear one cop calling for tow trucks on the radio. Then the next thing I know is I'm sitting there watching the other guy get hand-cuffed, taken away and his car towed. After he's gone the cop comes back over to me and gives me my license back! Then he mentions how he's giving me a brake because he knows my dad who is a local business owner. And he also mentions how he's gonna have a talk with him first thing in the morning. So to answer your question, you can get put in jail and lose your car for racing. At least in my state you can. BTW--I did win the race!<p>Steve<br><i>: Hi,<br>: I was wondering if you can go to jail for going too fast, in states other than Montana.<p>: For example, someone who has a racing background is going along a stretch of interstate with no one around. They get pulled over for going 110 mph(cop hiding behind a billboard). Can they tow your car and take you to jail? <br>: Or do you always just get a ticket and appear in court in a couple months.<br>: Or should you always stay 30 or less over the speed limit.<p>: Reckless driving is one thing, speeding in a 328i on a sunny day with dry weather, can see for miles and no other cars around is another.<p>: Of course, I know the two generic answers: <br>: "It's up to the cop." <br>: "Every state has it's own law."<p>: I'm lookinge for personal experiences and what you think.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Jim<p></i>

Gilbert
04-07-1999, 12:38 PM
No personal experience here either. Depends on the cop, and state things would hold pretty true. I believe in NJ, 40mph over the limit is automatic liscense suspension. I assume they could arrest you on the grounds of reckless endangerment, or something similar. As far as I know, speeding itself is not punishable with time. They cop would have reason to believe that he could make something like reckless endangerment stick. They could possibly arrest you, but with a BMW in good working order you could probably beat the rap.<p>BTW, I have no law experience either.

Grey
04-07-1999, 01:41 PM
Jim-<p>A few years ago my second real job after college was as a computer engineer for Apple based in NC and driving 60K a year from PA to GA. In the years I was there I racked up 10 points crisscrossing the Southeast in my company's Fabulous Ford Taurus (while my BMW was parked at home). <p>One of my more memorable tickets was in NC at 2am, 90mph in a 55mph construction zone (no traffic, no workers, safe) 10 miles from home after an 800 mile drive. State Trooper, very nice guy. I explained I drive ALOT of miles, traveling engineer and all that. He reduced the speed to 75 in a 65, no construction fine or anything. I have always found it really pays when speeding to be polite and respectful and try not to act like a "know-it-all".<p>Just glad he didn't nab me last month going 130+ mph in my Volvo V70 T-5 (with peddle to spare) on a straight deserted piece of highway.<p><i>: Hi,<br>: I was wondering if you can go to jail for going too fast, in states other than Montana.<br>

Jack
04-07-1999, 02:43 PM
Did you know that the speedometer will go to 160 on a 300ZX twin turbo even though the car should cut out at 155. Mabey I was going 154 but it felt like I was going to travel through time so it wasn't that big a deal. Point is, life is too short to not do exactly what you want, when you want to do it. Shut up and go fast!<p>Best of luck,<br>Jack

YS
04-07-1999, 02:50 PM
<i>: Hi,<br>: I was wondering if you can go to jail for going too fast, in states other than Montana.<p>: For example, someone who has a racing background is going along a stretch of interstate with no one around. They get pulled over for going 110 mph(cop hiding behind a billboard). Can they tow your car and take you to jail? <br>: Or do you always just get a ticket and appear in court in a couple months.<br>: Or should you always stay 30 or less over the speed limit.<p>: Reckless driving is one thing, speeding in a 328i on a sunny day with dry weather, can see for miles and no other cars around is another.<p>: Of course, I know the two generic answers: <br>: "It's up to the cop." <br>: "Every state has it's own law."<p>: I'm lookinge for personal experiences and what you think.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Jim<p></i>

Steve
04-07-1999, 03:32 PM
<i>: Did you know that the speedometer will go to 160 on a 300ZX twin turbo even though the car should cut out at 155. Mabey I was going 154 but it felt like I was going to travel through time so it wasn't that big a deal. Point is, life is too short to not do exactly what you want, when you want to do it. Shut up and go fast!<p>: Best of luck,<br>: Jack<p></i>

Jack
04-07-1999, 05:07 PM
It's OK the 323i only goes 128 and probably takes 3 miles to get there after 110. <p>

Viraj Patel
04-07-1999, 09:33 PM
I think that in a new BMW 3 series, not only will cops give you as big a fine as they can if they catch you but they will also look for you! Cops love to pull over people driving expensive cars or sports cars. At least that is what I've heard. That's the kind of downside to a BMW. Its a win-lose situation. An oxymoron in a way. You have an amazing car that performs like no other but you can't really use its power because you'll inevitably be caught by a cop.

Vishnu
04-08-1999, 01:01 AM
.. on a bridge in St. Helens volcanic area (Seattle) - have to take chances - luckily there was no soul on that sunny day!

John E Law
04-08-1999, 05:03 AM
<i>: I think that in a new BMW 3 series, not only will cops give you as big a fine as they can if they catch you but they will also look for you! Cops love to pull over people driving expensive cars or sports cars. At least that is what I've heard. That's the kind of downside to a BMW. Its a win-lose situation. An oxymoron in a way. You have an amazing car that performs like no other but you can't really use its power because you'll inevitably be caught by a cop.<p></i>

JoeT
04-08-1999, 09:52 AM
If you are cited for Violation of the Basic Rule, (what they call speeding in Oregon), you cannot be taken to jail speeding is only a traffic infraction, not a crime. However, if you are going fast enough that the officer believes you were driving recklessly, carelessly or endangering others, then you can be cited for Reckless driving, a class A misdemeanor in Oregon, Careless driving, a class B misdemeanor, or Reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor...and you can go to jail. There are several traffic offenses that are classified as crimes, as opposed to infractions. Examples are DUII, Careless driving, Reckless Driving, Hit and Run (leaving the scene of an accident) and Vehicular homicide. You can go to jail for crimes, but not for traffic infractions. I'd be very suprised if this wasn't the law across the U.S. - the only differences might be the classification of certain offenses, for example, DUII is a class A misdemeanor in Oregon, meaning you can do up to 1 year in jail and pay up to a $5000 fine. In Texas, DUII might be a traffic infraction with a $100 fine (based on my personal experiences in Texas - this wouldn't suprise me at all...)<p>Lawyer Joe<p><br><i>: Hi,<br>: I was wondering if you can go to jail for going too fast, in states other than Montana.<p>: For example, someone who has a racing background is going along a stretch of interstate with no one around. They get pulled over for going 110 mph(cop hiding behind a billboard). Can they tow your car and take you to jail? <br>: Or do you always just get a ticket and appear in court in a couple months.<br>: Or should you always stay 30 or less over the speed limit.<p>: Reckless driving is one thing, speeding in a 328i on a sunny day with dry weather, can see for miles and no other cars around is another.<p>: Of course, I know the two generic answers: <br>: "It's up to the cop." <br>: "Every state has it's own law."<p>: I'm lookinge for personal experiences and what you think.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Jim<p></i>

JMD
04-09-1999, 03:28 AM
I've read all of the posts made earlier about the subject matter and can say without reservation, "there is a very high chance that you will GO TO JAIL in every state of the union for driving 110mph. Don't be fooled about the condition of the road, time of day or weather. A speeding citation doesn't have blocks to be checked by the officer concerning those things. And just becuase you're driving a well engineered, well maintained and highly desired a.u.t.o.mobile, at 110mph, your car will literally shred to peices in a roll-over crash or get compacted to a nice cube in the event of a head-on collision. My theory is, "Speed (if you must) based on the conditions and the weight of your wallet, but put more emphasis on the 'conditions' (safety is paramount)." Now the contradition, I drive a '93 325iss (<---can explain), and it feels awesome at 140...with more pull under the go-fast-peddle. I might add, my '88 535is feels nice too at 137<S> The key to speeding (IMHO) is to feel it, then release it....you don't want to hold on too long or you and your wallet will be sorry. Your reactions aren't faster than a RADAR gun.....the Cop will surely just see your speed decreasing from the initial clocking. Trust me, please!<p>JMD

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index