Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

H
04-07-1999, 02:17 PM
I had an accident in mid Dec. and had to have a significant amount of body work done. My car is still not functioning correctly after taking it back to the service dept on 4 different occasions. On my last visit, April 4, I was to pick up my car for the final time. It was communicated to my that I was being charged for a repair for something that was fine on the 3rd visit to the service department. (I noticed the light for the anti-lock breaks was on and brought it to their attention before driving it off of teh lot.) When I told them that I did not feel that I was responsible for the payment of something that was not "broken" when I brought it in, they told me to wait 20 minutes and they would gladly take out the new part, put back in the old one, and not charge me for the labor. I left in tears for the third time out of the four visits. What to do and who to contact so this does not continue to happen and give BMW a bad name?

bimmerservicehater
04-07-1999, 02:39 PM
I have found that BMW service is probably the worst in the market. I always leave the service dept unsatisfied, and not to mention broke. <br>Best I would have to say would be lexus.

YS
04-07-1999, 02:46 PM
<i>: I had an accident in mid Dec. and had to have a significant amount of body work done. My car is still not functioning correctly after taking it back to the service dept on 4 different occasions. On my last visit, April 4, I was to pick up my car for the final time. It was communicated to my that I was being charged for a repair for something that was fine on the 3rd visit to the service department. (I noticed the light for the anti-lock breaks was on and brought it to their attention before driving it off of teh lot.) When I told them that I did not feel that I was responsible for the payment of something that was not "broken" when I brought it in, they told me to wait 20 minutes and they would gladly take out the new part, put back in the old one, and not charge me for the labor. I left in tears for the third time out of the four visits. What to do and who to contact so this does not continue to happen and give BMW a bad name? <p></i>

Rudy
04-07-1999, 02:51 PM
I would hardly call BMW "worst in the market". My Jeep Grand Cherokee went into service once for maintenance and the service center decided that they would try to "fix" something in the transmission (something about a delay in changing gears - automatic tranny) that I hadn't told them to fix. For one they charged me $150 for something I didn't ask for (I payed because they assured me it was necessary - turns out later it really wasn't). But anyway, the point is that 40 miles after the service my transmission went out completely. I brought it back and they said I needed a new transmission ($3500). When I brought to their attention the fact that the transmission had been fine until they played around with it they denied any wrongdoing and told me they didn't want to see me again. In the end I ended up going to another shop whose owner I know and he replaced the transmission and billed it to Jeep somehow. But this guy told me that the mechanics in the previous department had not put the transmission cover back on properly and that is indisputably why it went out. I probably could have sought leagal action but didn't feel it was worth it. In any case my point is that service depends more on the dealer than on the brand of car and I am sure plenty of people have horror stories with all different kinds of cars. I personally have not had any bad experiences with the service of any of my BMWs.<p>Rudy

Steve
04-07-1999, 03:04 PM
Click below and post your story & dealers name there. You can be annonymous(sp?) if you want. BMWNA reads this area frequently. They sometimes reply to real email addresses.<p>Steve<p><br><i>: I had an accident in mid Dec. and had to have a significant amount of body work done. My car is still not functioning correctly after taking it back to the service dept on 4 different occasions. On my last visit, April 4, I was to pick up my car for the final time. It was communicated to my that I was being charged for a repair for something that was fine on the 3rd visit to the service department. (I noticed the light for the anti-lock breaks was on and brought it to their attention before driving it off of teh lot.) When I told them that I did not feel that I was responsible for the payment of something that was not "broken" when I brought it in, they told me to wait 20 minutes and they would gladly take out the new part, put back in the old one, and not charge me for the labor. I left in tears for the third time out of the four visits. What to do and who to contact so this does not continue to happen and give BMW a bad name? <p></i>

artie
04-07-1999, 03:21 PM
you. Join the the car club and they have advisors who will provide good counsel as to how to deal with these situations. Also calling BMW Csutomer Service at 1-800-267-8BMW is advised.<p>

Andy T
04-07-1999, 05:23 PM
I sympathise. I don't know how well integrated your bodyshop was with the dealer, but this experience may help. The BMW bodyshop that tried to screw my brother over - and his insurance company in the process - did not do so simply because it was a "BMW" bodyshop. It also repairs Suzukis (cars and bikes) and some other small-volume Japanese manufacturer's cars. Basically it's outsourced to BMW and the others, and uses this to advertise its superiority ("BMW thinks we're good, we MUST be good!"). Fair enough - as long as they ARE good. BMW-approved bodyshops operate like any other bodyshop - to a tight margin and, for want of a better expression, they will screw the customer when they can (private or corporate - but corporate is better, they check up less). <p>As to next steps, try the BMWCCA or BMW NA if you are in the US (or whichever official importer applies to you). If your insurance company was responsible for paying the bill, then tell them; they pick up the tab, insurance companies don't like paying out for rework, they should go bat for you. <p>Please forgive the cynicism. I have found BMW dealers in London (UK) to be generally obnoxious and gifted in the art of the half-truth; outside of London they are generally more helpful, if still riotously expensive. (By the by, how does US$150 for a 7,500 mile Oil Service on a 2-year-old 3 series grab you?<p>Andy T<p>: I had an accident in mid Dec. and had to have a significant amount of body work done. My car is still not functioning correctly after taking it back to the service dept on 4 different occasions. On my last visit, April 4, I was to pick up my car for the final time. It was communicated to my that I was being charged for a repair for something that was fine on the 3rd visit to the service department. (I noticed the light for the anti-lock breaks was on and brought it to their attention before driving it off of teh lot.) When I told them that I did not feel that I was responsible for the payment of something that was not "broken" when I brought it in, they told me to wait 20 minutes and they would gladly take out the new part, put back in the old one, and not charge me for the labor. I left in tears for the third time out of the four visits. What to do and who to contact so this does not continue to happen and give BMW a bad name? <p>

vertigo
04-07-1999, 09:29 PM
You need to establish a basis of power.<br>Get a lawyer, and start to sue them. Don't<br>even wait. When you inform them that you <br>are sueing them, let THEM make YOU an offer<br>on how to make up for their behavior. If you<br>aren't satisfied, carry it through. They will<br>likely back off when they see they have much<br>to lose. Also contact the consumer protection<br>agency, and file a complaint. Bring a copy<br>of it with you to the dealer. In short, <br>get agressive and make it clear that its going<br>to cost them--they will likely backdown.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index