Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Alan
04-07-1999, 09:32 PM
I've noticed below some "controversy" over some young people whose parents have chosen to purchase them a BMW.<p>For what it is worth, when I was in high school, I was one of those kids. My first car was a 1-year-old E30 318 (yes Jacamo, it was white).<p>The fact that my parents bought me such a car didn't change who I was. A car doesn't magically change your personality for better or worse, or your values, or anything else. A car is something to drive, to enjoy, to love, and to care for. A car is a huge responsibility, and also a major privilege.<p>There are some who may not be responsible enough to own a BMW at such a young age, but I would say that those same people would not be responsible to own an old beatup Trans Am or any other car for that matter.<p>Anyway, for anyone who thinks that driving a nice car at a young age is the ticket to future ruin, think again--I feel I haven't turned out half bad myself.<p>:-)<p><br>--Alan<br>

Adam M
04-08-1999, 09:24 AM
Alan- <p>I agree with what you are saying. I'm sure that there are many teenagers who are responsible enough for a nice car and appreciate it. I think that the expensive car at a young age is NOT the "disease", but is SOMETIMES a symptom of the underlying "disease". I never did without basic needs growing up, but I was aware that money was a limited commodity. This helped teach me the value of hard work, self-reliance, and respect for property (both my own and others). I feel it also helped instill compassion for those less fortunate in life. <br>While these lessons can certainly be taught in many ways, they seem to be more easily overlooked in homes that have no sense of shortage or need. I think the 16yr old in a BMW symbolizes this to many people (fairly in some cases, unfairly in others). (Of course, your view can be clouded by some jealousy as well.)<br>For me, I try not to rush to judgment (hard not to in this busy world), and to be kind when the opportunity arises. <p>Adam<p><i>: I've noticed below some "controversy" over some young people whose parents have chosen to purchase them a BMW.<p>: For what it is worth, when I was in high school, I was one of those kids. My first car was a 1-year-old E30 318 (yes Jacamo, it was white).<p>: The fact that my parents bought me such a car didn't change who I was. A car doesn't magically change your personality for better or worse, or your values, or anything else. A car is something to drive, to enjoy, to love, and to care for. A car is a huge responsibility, and also a major privilege.<p>: There are some who may not be responsible enough to own a BMW at such a young age, but I would say that those same people would not be responsible to own an old beatup Trans Am or any other car for that matter.<p>: Anyway, for anyone who thinks that driving a nice car at a young age is the ticket to future ruin, think again--I feel I haven't turned out half bad myself.<p>: :-)<p>: <br>: --Alan<p></i>

Gilbert
04-08-1999, 10:17 AM
I agree with that. I don't think it does change who you are. It is currently a running joke with all my friends that it does. I find it kind of funny. I understand these guys aren't joking around, and that can be harsh on a teenager.<p>I think there are some people who not responsable enough to own a BMW(or any car) at any age.

Tony Braich
04-09-1999, 05:18 PM
I agree with Alan. I just read the messages under Alan's and got into a discussion with myself if you will, and started venting my feelings about the constant remarks I hear form some friends and other people about having a nice car as my first car. I'm 20 now but still hear such things. So I wrote a long story after that first sentence of mine, but decided to erase it so i won't bore anyone. In short, I agree with Alan totally. I'd like to add that manyof these people are of course jealous and would jump atthe chance to have the same cars if tey were offered it by their parents. I'm not talking down on anyone here, but I think that is the truth. I can't imagine anyone turning down a new BMW...<br><i>: I've noticed below some "controversy" over some young people whose parents have chosen to purchase them a BMW.<p>: For what it is worth, when I was in high school, I was one of those kids. My first car was a 1-year-old E30 318 (yes Jacamo, it was white).<p>: The fact that my parents bought me such a car didn't change who I was. A car doesn't magically change your personality for better or worse, or your values, or anything else. A car is something to drive, to enjoy, to love, and to care for. A car is a huge responsibility, and also a major privilege.<p>: There are some who may not be responsible enough to own a BMW at such a young age, but I would say that those same people would not be responsible to own an old beatup Trans Am or any other car for that matter.<p>: Anyway, for anyone who thinks that driving a nice car at a young age is the ticket to future ruin, think again--I feel I haven't turned out half bad myself.<p>: :-)<p>: <br>: --Alan<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index