Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris
04-10-1999, 01:27 PM
OK, Ive made my decision to invest in a new 328. I just hate the whole "car dealer" experience. But I really don't want to do the "online" thing. Can anyone recommend a good dealer or dealership in the Bay Area? Also, out of curiosity, do most of you new 3 owners purchase from the dealers' inventory? Or do most of you end up custom ordering them? It seems like the dealerships I went to didn't have a good inventory to choose from. <p>Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

Kris L.
04-10-1999, 01:38 PM
After reading comments here and on the BMW service page, I determined that there are no good Bay Area dealers.. My advice: Once you have decided what you want, call Jon Shafer at Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara (800-676-1595). He'll give you a better price($1500 over invoice!), treat you much better, and you'll know exactly where your car is during the entire process. <br>I ordered my car from Jon about two weeks ago. Once it arrives (Early June) I'll take Amtrak down there and he'll send someone to pick me up.<p>-Kris<br>99 Oh-so-common Ti Silver / Black 328i<br>Sport / HK / CD / Moonroof

Lorenz
04-10-1999, 02:19 PM
<i>OK, Ive made my decision to invest in a new 328. I just hate the whole "car dealer" experience. But I really don't want to do the "online" thing. Can anyone recommend a good dealer or dealership in the Bay Area?<br></i><p>I picked up my 328i at BMW of San Francisco on Thursday, so the whole thing is still fresh in my mind. To sum it up: the whole process was great, and I highly recommend checking out BMW of SF over <b>any</b> of the South Bay dealers. I didn't like the one in Mountain View or the one on Steven's Creek (no need for names).<p>I ordered the car at the end of January, for mid-February production. The whole atmosphere at BMW SF was very relaxed. I didn't get the feeling of being at a car dealership (unlike the BMW dealership here in Mountain View, which left me with a bitter aftertaste).<p>Throughout the process, my sales person kept me informed of how my baby was doing (called me when BMW confirmed the order, when it had been built, when it was put on a boat, when the boat arrived in Port Hueneme, when it had cleared customs, and of course when it got here). Faxed me the "Vehicles on Order" sheet (not sure what it's called, but it's the one that lists all the cars the dealership has coming in), which showed my name next to my car the day after we placed the order. As soon as the car had been built, I knew the VIN, so I could go ahead and arrange for insurance.<p>The day before I picked up the car, they called me to get my insurance paperwork, copy of my driver's license, etc. so they could prepare the paperwork for the day I picked it up. I was finished with signing the paperwork in less than 15 minutes(!!). A friend of mine gave me a lift to the dealership, and she was amazed when we were done with the paperwork so quickly. Really, it was incredibly painless.<p>Give BMW of SF a shot. If you want a contact name: talk to Bobbi, she's my salesperson, and she was great.<p><i>Also, out of curiosity, do most of you new 3 owners purchase from the dealers' inventory? Or do most of you end up custom ordering them? It seems like the dealerships I went to didn't have a good inventory to choose from. <br></i><p>I ordered mine, because like you said, dealers don't really have much (if any) inventory to choose from. I took a look around at BMW of SF, and they had some cars -- no idea if they were already sold or not. I can tell you, waiting for it is painful mainly at the end of the wait. The first 8 or so weeks didn't really bother me that much, but once I knew it was in LA, waiting killed me. However, it is absolutely worth the wait!<p>So I hope I don't have to explain to you that you <b>need</b> one of these cars! It is vital for your mental wellbeing. You said you'd already made up your mind that you're going to get a 328i: don't change your mind, you won't be disappointed! I <b>love</b> this car, and my experience at BMW of SF had a lot to do with making the wait bearable.<p>By the way, my only association with BMW SF is that I'm a satisfied customer.<p>Good luck,<p>Lorenz<br>328i, Silver/Black, yadda yadda yadda.<br>

BMVW
04-10-1999, 02:53 PM
http://www.bmwsf.com<p>Looks like a spectacular dealer, and it's a really great web site!<p>BMVW

BMVW
04-10-1999, 02:54 PM

Lorenz
04-10-1999, 04:15 PM
<i><br>Looks like a spectacular dealer, and it's a really great web site!<br></i><p>Yeah, I guess I forgot to mention their Web site... You should check it out, as they talk about the rest of the dealership, i.e. service dept. etc. You can schedule service appointments online!<p>Also, their body shop is supposedly one of the best in the area. It's the only one in the area that is certified by BMW! Its reputation is apprently so good that owners of other German cars take them to be fixed there. When I ordered my car, there was a Porsche 911 and a VW Golf VR6 in the back lot waiting to be fixed in the body shop... I hope to never find out...

Dave N
04-10-1999, 04:26 PM
<br>I guess it depends on who you are dealing in the organization. I helped a friend buy a M3 convertible last year from BMW SF and the experience wasn't that great. Yes, they did have the car, but:<br>1. sales person did not know how to input the sale into the computer. My friend had to do it for him.<br>2. the car was delivered without being detailed.<br>3. the people in charge of registering the car put a lien on it (they thought the bank draft was a lien bank draft eventhough my friend warned that person a couple of times that it was not a lien bank draft).<br>4. Floormats were the wrong kind. Had to be reordered again.<p>They were not that helpful the couple of times I was there to inquire about a 323. One time, I knew there was a 323 on the back lot, but salesperson said they had none for test driving. I guess he took one look at my clothes (I was wearing an old sweater) and decided not to bother.<p>I ordered my 323 from Sonnen Mill Valley. Took some negotiating (like 3 hours), but I think I got a fair price. The salesperson was polite and helpful (I was wearing the same old sweater). But I am keeping my fingers crossed about what may happen during the next two months of waiting. You just don't know.<br>

SLK
04-10-1999, 08:35 PM
Read this archive regarding Cutter Motors<br>http://www.bimmer.org/3series/messages/archive/msgsy1999w11/23525.html<p><i>: OK, Ive made my decision to invest in a new 328. I just hate the whole "car dealer" experience. But I really don't want to do the "online" thing. Can anyone recommend a good dealer or dealership in the Bay Area? Also, out of curiosity, do most of you new 3 owners purchase from the dealers' inventory? Or do most of you end up custom ordering them? It seems like the dealerships I went to didn't have a good inventory to choose from. <p>: Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!<p></i>

SLK
04-10-1999, 08:38 PM
Here is another archive for you<p>http://www.bimmer.org/3series/messages/archive/msgsy1999w12/24161.html<p><br><i>: OK, Ive made my decision to invest in a new 328. I just hate the whole "car dealer" experience. But I really don't want to do the "online" thing. Can anyone recommend a good dealer or dealership in the Bay Area? Also, out of curiosity, do most of you new 3 owners purchase from the dealers' inventory? Or do most of you end up custom ordering them? It seems like the dealerships I went to didn't have a good inventory to choose from. <p>: Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!<p></i>

Dan
04-11-1999, 09:22 AM
I just purchased a 99 328i from Concord BMW in (who would have guessed), Concord, off of 680. I thought the dealership did a good job -- The salesman's name was James Evans. I purchased it from stock since a black on black model had just arrived with everything I wanted (5 speed stick, premium and sport package) I thought the pricing was reasonable also.<br>Dan

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index