Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Barry Aston
04-11-1999, 01:24 PM
Lately I have been test driving 323's and 328's. Many of<br>the people at the dealerships tell me that the 323 is the better value because there isn't much difference between the two cars except the additional 23 horsepower in the 328 engine. We're talking a $5,000 difference in sticker price when the cars are comprably equipped!<p>However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go. I have observed this while comparing two different 323's against two other 328's.<br>It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?

Kris L.
04-11-1999, 01:33 PM
<i>It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?<br></i><p>Of course not. If you were, nobody would buy a 328.<p>-Kris, 328i 5spd sport on the way

Nelson
04-11-1999, 02:31 PM
<i><p>: However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>: there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go.<p></i><p>Does it matter how hard you have to press the pedal? As long as it does "go", right?

ian
04-11-1999, 03:10 PM
I was initially leaning towards a 323 too for the reason of better buck for the bang. But as I did more test drives (on both 323 and 328), the more I notice the difference in acceleration and power. <p>The car I test drove were all stick shifts. But I recently drove auto 323 and 328 at the Ultimate Driving Event. When pushed hard, I found that the lack of power in 323 was even more pronounced (but it was an automatic).<p>IMHO, if you can feel the power difference, you'll be better off with a 328.

trim
04-11-1999, 04:33 PM
Both 5 speeds accelerate adequately. You may notice the auto 323 to be a little sluggish.<p>The base price is $7,000.00 higher on 328. All the items on the 323 premium ($2,840.00) are std on the 328. As are foglites ($260.00). That leaves $3,900 for the extra power, painted trim, different spoiler, chrome trim, and different looking wheels. Personal choice - can't go wrong either way, but the 323 outsells the 328 2 to 1. Americans must be very bang for buck oriented!<p></i>

Alex Zanardi
04-11-1999, 05:11 PM
I drove a 323i and a 328i (automatic) and didn't notice a difference in acceleration. I drove both to the redline! They seemed no way worth the extra money. Unless.....of course.... you hate to turn on your windshield wipers.

Bryan
04-11-1999, 05:56 PM
<i>: Both 5 speeds accelerate adequately. You may notice the auto 323 to be a little sluggish.<p>: The base price is $7,000.00 higher on 328. All the items on the 323 premium ($2,840.00) are std on the 328. As are foglites ($260.00). That leaves $3,900 for the extra power, painted trim, different spoiler, chrome trim, and different looking wheels. Personal choice - can't go wrong either way, but the 323 outsells the 328 2 to 1. Americans must be very bang for buck oriented!<p></i>

Jeff G
04-11-1999, 08:48 PM
<i>: Lately I have been test driving 323's and 328's. Many of<br>: the people at the dealerships tell me that the 323 is the better value because there isn't much difference between the two cars except the additional 23 horsepower in the 328 engine. We're talking a $5,000 difference in sticker price when the cars are comprably equipped!<p>: However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>: there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go. I have observed this while comparing two different 323's against two other 328's.<br>: It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?<p>What do you mean by 'you have to push harder to make it go'? To maintain speed? To increase speed? Slush box or standard transmission? At what rpm in what gear? Hard to answer your original question based on such a vague description.<p>Definitely there is a difference. The 323 should rev easier being a shorter stroke engine, but is down slightly on power and torque. The torque may matter more with a slushie.<p></i>

Wainy
04-11-1999, 09:03 PM
Think of it this way...<br>There is more & more cars every year on the road. You will not need the 23 extra HP. The 323 will be more than enough power.

DG
04-11-1999, 09:16 PM
It all depends on where you live, by the way. There are plenty of areas in the U.S. with wide open spaces, and lots of room for acceleration, speed, and handling. If you are stuck in LA or similar areas, sorry!

Gilbert
04-11-1999, 09:18 PM
I wasn't even considering the 323. (sorry guys) <p>If you notice a difference, it seems you should go with the 328. It's important to note as pointed out, that it also has better brakes.<p>Now, I don't know how you spec your car out, but there are some things that may interest you as well.<p>You can't get(from the factory) sport package and armrest on a 323.<p>Power sport seats not available on 323i. (manual sport seats not available on 328.)<p>Cruise control, steering wheel radio controls, heated mirrors, trip computer are standard on 328.<p>If you spec'd a 323 to have the standard features of the base 328 (alloys, trip computer, cc, fog lights) you'd have a $5k difference you mentioned and still have a car without power seats, and heated mirrors.<p>Not saying the 323 is a bad car. I'm not even saying these options matter to me. But they might matter to you and that may be something to consider. The 323 is a better value, and I sometimes think a more entusiasts oriented car. (manual seats, no standard cc, all sporting options included in sport package.) If only BMWNA was more flexible on optioning cars out.<p><br>

Kris L.
04-11-1999, 10:43 PM
I live in the South Bay.. Traffic here in the valley sucks...BUT.. I can drive 3 miles and be up in the Sierra foothills on some of the most fun roads I've been on!<br>

Michael C.
04-12-1999, 08:49 AM
<i>: Lately I have been test driving 323's and 328's. Many of<br>: the people at the dealerships tell me that the 323 is the better value because there isn't much difference between the two cars except the additional 23 horsepower in the 328 engine. We're talking a $5,000 difference in sticker price when the cars are comprably equipped!<p>: However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>: there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go. I have observed this while comparing two different 323's against two other 328's.<br>: It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?<p></i><p>It also said that it found the 323 engine "sweeter" and more willing to rev..

Michael C.
04-12-1999, 08:52 AM
<i>: : Lately I have been test driving 323's and 328's. Many of<br>: : the people at the dealerships tell me that the 323 is the better value because there isn't much difference between the two cars except the additional 23 horsepower in the 328 engine. We're talking a $5,000 difference in sticker price when the cars are comprably equipped!<p>: : However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>: : there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go. I have observed this while comparing two different 323's against two other 328's.<br>: : It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?<p><br>: It also said that it found the 323 engine "sweeter" and more willing to rev..<p></i>

Adam V
04-12-1999, 11:04 AM
<i>I have a 323i automatic and the biggest problem I have is keeping it under the speed limit. It's not as fast and doesn't have as much torque as my Triumph motorcyle but for some reason it's really hard to drive under 80 mph on on any of our local NY highways. In fact I just got a speeding ticket on the Taconic, something I have never gotten on my bike. So I think bottom line it's as fast as I am ever going to need. Oh and it accelerates quick enough to keep me out of harms way when drag racing with our famous NYC yellow cabs.<p>Adam V.<br></i>

Jon
04-12-1999, 12:04 PM
</i> I tested both the 323 and 328 in stick and auto configurations. I now have a 328 with stick. I found a noticeable difference in performance between the 323 and 328. Maybe part of it is that my former car was a GSR with 170hp and behavior that is much more frenetic than the BMW. I felt I needed the extra bump-up in power that I got from the 328.

DrBimmer
04-12-1999, 01:35 PM
<i>: I wasn't even considering the 323. (sorry guys) <p>: If you notice a difference, it seems you should go with the 328. It's important to note as pointed out, that it also has better brakes.<p>: Now, I don't know how you spec your car out, but there are some things that may interest you as well.<p>: You can't get(from the factory) sport package and armrest on a 323.<p>: Power sport seats not available on 323i. (manual sport seats not available on 328.)<p>: Cruise control, steering wheel radio controls, heated mirrors, trip computer are standard on 328.<p>: If you spec'd a 323 to have the standard features of the base 328 (alloys, trip computer, cc, fog lights) you'd have a $5k difference you mentioned and still have a car without power seats, and heated mirrors.<p>: Not saying the 323 is a bad car. I'm not even saying these options matter to me. But they might matter to you and that may be something to consider. The 323 is a better value, and I sometimes think a more entusiasts oriented car. (manual seats, no standard cc, all sporting options included in sport package.) If only BMWNA was more flexible on optioning cars out.<p><br></i>

William Ow
04-12-1999, 04:42 PM
I can to the same conclusion, similarly equiped the difference wasn't that great (cost wise), so I opted for the 328i., then threw in the sport package as it was only $1150 more. The kicker came when BMWNA threw in the $1000 rebate. Then the difference is even less.<p>William<p><i>: Both 5 speeds accelerate adequately. You may notice the auto 323 to be a little sluggish.<p>: The base price is $7,000.00 higher on 328. All the items on the 323 premium ($2,840.00) are std on the 328. As are foglites ($260.00). That leaves $3,900 for the extra power, painted trim, different spoiler, chrome trim, and different looking wheels. Personal choice - can't go wrong either way, but the 323 outsells the 328 2 to 1. Americans must be very bang for buck oriented!<p></i>

PK
04-12-1999, 08:49 PM
<i><U>: I raced a 323 with my 328i and smoked him off the line. When we hit the freeway, we were at about 80 when I florred it and let me tell you, unless the guy was backing off (which I doubt) my 328i blew his fricken doors. Itoo test drove both and found the 328 more exhilarating.<p>Just my option. <p>PK<p>: Lately I have been test driving 323's and 328's. Many of<br>: the people at the dealerships tell me that the 323 is the better value because there isn't much difference between the two cars except the additional 23 horsepower in the 328 engine. We're talking a $5,000 difference in sticker price when the cars are comprably equipped!<p>: However, when I drive the 323 at average speed it seems that <br>: there is a noticeable difference in how hard I have to press the accelerator to get the car to go. I have observed this while comparing two different 323's against two other 328's.<br>: It seems like a small thing to get me to spend the extra $5K, but I definitely like the feel of the 328 better. Am I crazy?<p><br></i>

Gilbert
04-12-1999, 09:26 PM
<i>: : I wasn't even considering the 323. (sorry guys) <p>: : If you notice a difference, it seems you should go with the 328. It's important to note as pointed out, that it also has better brakes.<p>: : Now, I don't know how you spec your car out, but there are some things that may interest you as well.<p>: : You can't get(from the factory) sport package and armrest on a 323.<p>: : Power sport seats not available on 323i. (manual sport seats not available on 328.)<p>: : Cruise control, steering wheel radio controls, heated mirrors, trip computer are standard on 328.<p>: : If you spec'd a 323 to have the standard features of the base 328 (alloys, trip computer, cc, fog lights) you'd have a $5k difference you mentioned and still have a car without power seats, and heated mirrors.<p>: : Not saying the 323 is a bad car. I'm not even saying these options matter to me. But they might matter to you and that may be something to consider. The 323 is a better value, and I sometimes think a more entusiasts oriented car. (manual seats, no standard cc, all sporting options included in sport package.) If only BMWNA was more flexible on optioning cars out.<p><br></i>

Jon
04-13-1999, 12:04 PM
</i>Do you have stick or auto? Could you tell if the 323i you were racing had stick or auto?

pk
04-15-1999, 05:59 PM
<i>: Do you have stick or auto? Could you tell if the 323i you were racing had stick or auto?<p><p>I have an auto. But let me tell you, the shift points are pretty up there. I don't know about whether or not the 232 was auto or stick. My eyes couln't see while I was in my car going about 100MPH.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index