Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

steve
04-13-1999, 07:34 AM
Help me answer this question: What are the additional tapped holes for on both the front & rear bumpers in the license plate area? You know, the ones that don't fit your USA sized plates? Are they there for euro plates? There must be a purpose (this is german engineering we're talkin about here). Please solve the mystery for me.

rc
04-13-1999, 10:36 AM
If you're talking about the lower set of tapped holes directly under the upper ones (same width apart), they can be used to secure the lower edge of most US type plates if desired. They are especially useful when using a heavier license plate frame which has lower mounting holes and would rattle otherwise.

LG
04-13-1999, 03:10 PM
No matter which holes<br>you are talking about they are not for for euro plates. The European E39 has a diffrent trunklid with a much wider space for the much wider eurolicense plates and a diffrent licenseplate frame in the front for the smae reason.....<br>

LG
04-13-1999, 03:13 PM
Oh sorry my misstake<br>I was talking about the E39... <br>the E46 has the same trunklid in Europe and the US but a diffrent license plate frame in the front...

RK
04-14-1999, 04:20 AM
The two tapped holes on the trunk lid license plate area ( the ones that are vertically centered in the middle) are for the Euro plates. The front should have a similar set of holes but it should only be seen if you remove the black US license plate holder/bumper trim.<p>RK

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index