Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Peter S
08-31-2001, 06:42 PM
An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<br>

eric
08-31-2001, 06:59 PM
<i>'88 was the first model year for the E32 in the US... though I believe they were made as early as '86 for Europe.<p>My US '88 was made in September '87. It is one of about 400 manuals which were imported in '88, '89, and '90.<p>People will tell you (mostly correctly) that '88s and '89s have more problems than later years. Part of this is that they have had more time for things to break, and part of it is that as early failures became known, BMW fixed them... one area that I have heard mentioned specifically is in the area of HVAC controls, specifically the stepper motor mounts (big issue here is that they are a BEAR to replace!).<p>As the model matured, more features became available/standard, such as anti skid control, double-paned side windows, dual airbags, etc. ALso more things to break.<p>I LOVE my '88 because it runs like a top, looks like a million bucks, and is pretty cheap to own and maintain. I REALLY like the 5sp, if it weren't for that lovely transmission, I'd be in a 750iL. My ideal E32 would be either a '90 735i 5sp, or a '94 740i with an 5-speed conversion and the new block. The manual gives this car a whole new outlook.<p>SOrry if too rambling, bottom line is that "even" '88s can be a joy to own, it really depends on the vehicle, prior maintenance, and your willingness to get the car straight in the beginning and keep it that way.<p>eric<br>'88 735i 5sp w/ no regrets<p><p>An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<p><p></i>

Peter S
08-31-2001, 07:08 PM
When was the last year of the 735? Is the iL only available certain years and how much longer is it? Is the length only the back seat area?<br>I looked at an 88 this morning that was pretty beat. It was cheap which sparked my interest. $3100. It had 223K miles but rough paint and drivers door was seriously damaged but would still opens/shut. Otherwise it looked largely neglected and well used. Seats were torn too. I'm continuing to look on.<br>Peter s<p><p><i><br>'88 was the first model year for the E32 in the US... though I believe they were made as early as '86 for Europe.<p>My US '88 was made in September '87. It is one of about 400 manuals which were imported in '88, '89, and '90.<p>People will tell you (mostly correctly) that '88s and '89s have more problems than later years. Part of this is that they have had more time for things to break, and part of it is that as early failures became known, BMW fixed them... one area that I have heard mentioned specifically is in the area of HVAC controls, specifically the stepper motor mounts (big issue here is that they are a BEAR to replace!).<p>As the model matured, more features became available/standard, such as anti skid control, double-paned side windows, dual airbags, etc. ALso more things to break.<p>I LOVE my '88 because it runs like a top, looks like a million bucks, and is pretty cheap to own and maintain. I REALLY like the 5sp, if it weren't for that lovely transmission, I'd be in a 750iL. My ideal E32 would be either a '90 735i 5sp, or a '94 740i with an 5-speed conversion and the new block. The manual gives this car a whole new outlook.<p>SOrry if too rambling, bottom line is that "even" '88s can be a joy to own, it really depends on the vehicle, prior maintenance, and your willingness to get the car straight in the beginning and keep it that way.<p>eric<br>'88 735i 5sp w/ no regrets<p><br>An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<p></i><br>

gale
08-31-2001, 07:38 PM
Ditto to the other post(s). Yes, the add'l 5" +/- length is for the back seat legroom. you'll notice the front doors are the same for the i & iL & the iL rear doors are that much longer. In my opinion, if you're looking for one to keep for a while, spend the extra $$$ up front in a wel maintained, clean specimen with good service history/records, do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or independent shop (about $150 & money well spent). While checking one out, make sure all the interior electrical gagets work i.e. all HVAC vents & temperature settings, door locks windows, etc. A good check is to roll down all windows & open the sunroof, then close them by turning the drivers outside door lock a full 90 degrees clockwise & wait about 10 seconds. All windows & sunroof should close. 223k miles is not necessarily that high but you should be able to fine one with 150k or less in good shape for a reasonable price. Here's a <A HREF="http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm">link</A> for most of the repairs I've had to do on mine in the last 2 years & so far it's cost less that $1k in expense + gas & oil.<p>gale<br>92 735i<br>148k<p> <br><i><br>When was the last year of the 735? Is the iL only available certain years and how much longer is it? Is the length only the back seat area?<br>I looked at an 88 this morning that was pretty beat. It was cheap which sparked my interest. $3100. It had 223K miles but rough paint and drivers door was seriously damaged but would still opens/shut. Otherwise it looked largely neglected and well used. Seats were torn too. I'm continuing to look on.<br>Peter s<p><p>'88 was the first model year for the E32 in the US... though I believe they were made as early as '86 for Europe.<p>My US '88 was made in September '87. It is one of about 400 manuals which were imported in '88, '89, and '90.<p>People will tell you (mostly correctly) that '88s and '89s have more problems than later years. Part of this is that they have had more time for things to break, and part of it is that as early failures became known, BMW fixed them... one area that I have heard mentioned specifically is in the area of HVAC controls, specifically the stepper motor mounts (big issue here is that they are a BEAR to replace!).<p>As the model matured, more features became available/standard, such as anti skid control, double-paned side windows, dual airbags, etc. ALso more things to break.<p>I LOVE my '88 because it runs like a top, looks like a million bucks, and is pretty cheap to own and maintain. I REALLY like the 5sp, if it weren't for that lovely transmission, I'd be in a 750iL. My ideal E32 would be either a '90 735i 5sp, or a '94 740i with an 5-speed conversion and the new block. The manual gives this car a whole new outlook.<p>SOrry if too rambling, bottom line is that "even" '88s can be a joy to own, it really depends on the vehicle, prior maintenance, and your willingness to get the car straight in the beginning and keep it that way.<p>eric<br>'88 735i 5sp w/ no regrets<p><br>An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<p><br></i><br>

Peter S
08-31-2001, 08:21 PM
Outstanding site. I thought I was bad with my site! I've had 4 BMW's (71 2800CS, 76 530i, 76 2002, 81 320i) and have a car site of my own at:<br>http://members.tripod.com/~petersiposs<p>I'm thinking of replacing my wifes Acura Vigor with either a late 635 or E32 735.<br>Peter S<p><p><p><i><br>Ditto to the other post(s). Yes, the add'l 5" +/- length is for the back seat legroom. you'll notice the front doors are the same for the i & iL & the iL rear doors are that much longer. In my opinion, if you're looking for one to keep for a while, spend the extra $$$ up front in a wel maintained, clean specimen with good service history/records, do a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer or independent shop (about $150 & money well spent). While checking one out, make sure all the interior electrical gagets work i.e. all HVAC vents & temperature settings, door locks windows, etc. A good check is to roll down all windows & open the sunroof, then close them by turning the drivers outside door lock a full 90 degrees clockwise & wait about 10 seconds. All windows & sunroof should close. 223k miles is not necessarily that high but you should be able to fine one with 150k or less in good shape for a reasonable price. Here's a <A HREF="http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm">link</A> for most of the repairs I've had to do on mine in the last 2 years & so far it's cost less that $1k in expense + gas & oil.<p>gale<br>92 735i<br>148k<p> <p>When was the last year of the 735? Is the iL only available certain years and how much longer is it? Is the length only the back seat area?<br>I looked at an 88 this morning that was pretty beat. It was cheap which sparked my interest. $3100. It had 223K miles but rough paint and drivers door was seriously damaged but would still opens/shut. Otherwise it looked largely neglected and well used. Seats were torn too. I'm continuing to look on.<br>Peter s<p><br>'88 was the first model year for the E32 in the US... though I believe they were made as early as '86 for Europe.<p>My US '88 was made in September '87. It is one of about 400 manuals which were imported in '88, '89, and '90.<p>People will tell you (mostly correctly) that '88s and '89s have more problems than later years. Part of this is that they have had more time for things to break, and part of it is that as early failures became known, BMW fixed them... one area that I have heard mentioned specifically is in the area of HVAC controls, specifically the stepper motor mounts (big issue here is that they are a BEAR to replace!).<p>As the model matured, more features became available/standard, such as anti skid control, double-paned side windows, dual airbags, etc. ALso more things to break.<p>I LOVE my '88 because it runs like a top, looks like a million bucks, and is pretty cheap to own and maintain. I REALLY like the 5sp, if it weren't for that lovely transmission, I'd be in a 750iL. My ideal E32 would be either a '90 735i 5sp, or a '94 740i with an 5-speed conversion and the new block. The manual gives this car a whole new outlook.<p>SOrry if too rambling, bottom line is that "even" '88s can be a joy to own, it really depends on the vehicle, prior maintenance, and your willingness to get the car straight in the beginning and keep it that way.<p>eric<br>'88 735i 5sp w/ no regrets<p><br>An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<p><br></i><br>

andyman
09-01-2001, 09:22 PM
I just bought an e32 today. 88 735i with 135k on the clock. it isn't in perfect condition, there's a couple of small dents in the car and there's the usual torn driver's seat. a couple electrical gremlins to find, but overall an awesome car. The 5 speed is so sweet. I've been driving around in circles this evening just because I needed an excuse to drive. the car was only $3k... I'd wait till a better one came along if I were you...<p><i><br>When was the last year of the 735? Is the iL only available certain years and how much longer is it? Is the length only the back seat area?<br>I looked at an 88 this morning that was pretty beat. It was cheap which sparked my interest. $3100. It had 223K miles but rough paint and drivers door was seriously damaged but would still opens/shut. Otherwise it looked largely neglected and well used. Seats were torn too. I'm continuing to look on.<br>Peter s<p><p>'88 was the first model year for the E32 in the US... though I believe they were made as early as '86 for Europe.<p>My US '88 was made in September '87. It is one of about 400 manuals which were imported in '88, '89, and '90.<p>People will tell you (mostly correctly) that '88s and '89s have more problems than later years. Part of this is that they have had more time for things to break, and part of it is that as early failures became known, BMW fixed them... one area that I have heard mentioned specifically is in the area of HVAC controls, specifically the stepper motor mounts (big issue here is that they are a BEAR to replace!).<p>As the model matured, more features became available/standard, such as anti skid control, double-paned side windows, dual airbags, etc. ALso more things to break.<p>I LOVE my '88 because it runs like a top, looks like a million bucks, and is pretty cheap to own and maintain. I REALLY like the 5sp, if it weren't for that lovely transmission, I'd be in a 750iL. My ideal E32 would be either a '90 735i 5sp, or a '94 740i with an 5-speed conversion and the new block. The manual gives this car a whole new outlook.<p>SOrry if too rambling, bottom line is that "even" '88s can be a joy to own, it really depends on the vehicle, prior maintenance, and your willingness to get the car straight in the beginning and keep it that way.<p>eric<br>'88 735i 5sp w/ no regrets<p><br>An 88 735 is an E32? If so is that the first year of that body? When is the last in the 735 series?<br>Is an 88 a good/bad year to buy?<br>Peter S<p><br></i><br>

Tim Bryan
09-02-2001, 01:42 AM
I believe that BMW is still producing the 735i. I just got back from being stationed in Japan and I see new model 735i's there all the time,<br>Tim Bryan<br>'88 735i

Ekkehart Rackete, Bochum Germany
09-03-2001, 09:55 AM
Yes, but with a 3.5l V8 in an E38.<p>Ekkehart

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index