Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mark750iL
09-05-2001, 09:15 AM
On my 1990 750iL, one of the hoses connecting the heater valve has developed a small slit in it.<p>The hose is the one that connects to the back-bottom nipple on the heater control, and then snakes down under the others, and then goes to the back end of the left head, (I believe). It appears that the one needs to remove the engine to get the clamp off the "head-end" of the hose. I assume that is somewhat drastic, but am seeking any suggestions. <p>It sounds like several have tackled the heater valve problem, and just wondering if some of you have done so on the 750, and can offer suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br>Mark

Rich 1990 750iL
09-05-2001, 10:15 AM
<i><br>On my 1990 750iL, one of the hoses connecting the heater valve has developed a small slit in it.<p>The hose is the one that connects to the back-bottom nipple on the heater control, and then snakes down under the others, and then goes to the back end of the left head, (I believe). It appears that the one needs to remove the engine to get the clamp off the "head-end" of the hose. I assume that is somewhat drastic, but am seeking any suggestions. <p>and then you'll gain some additional room. Be careful when you unplug the heater control valve unit; the plastic connectors get brittle after the years of heat under the hood, and they break easily. It's a real pain in the *** getting the whole unit out. The control valves are mounted to an auxhilary heating pump. I separated the two first to make the job easier. Again, once it's out, you should have more elbow room. <p>It sounds like several have tackled the heater valve problem, and just wondering if some of you have done so on the 750, and can offer suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br>Mark<p></i><br>

Mark Petry
09-05-2001, 10:56 AM
The heater valve has a hard life 'cuz it sits in a hot spot right over the exhaust manifold. I replaced all of those hoses when my engine was out, and truth be told I replaced the heater valve as well, as it is plastic and gets brittle with prolonged exposure to the heat rising off the aforementioned manifold.<p>The exact hose configuration changed WITHIN the model years during 90-91, so what I did was get hoses from BOTH configurations, match them up, and then took the unused hoses back to the dealer (yes, these parts I got from the dealer) for credit.<p>The hoses were in the range of 8-12 bucks apiece. The heater valve was about $220.<p>markp<br>90 750iL<br>Bainbridge Island, WA<p><br><i><br>On my 1990 750iL, one of the hoses connecting the heater valve has developed a small slit in it.<p>The hose is the one that connects to the back-bottom nipple on the heater control, and then snakes down under the others, and then goes to the back end of the left head, (I believe). It appears that the one needs to remove the engine to get the clamp off the "head-end" of the hose. I assume that is somewhat drastic, but am seeking any suggestions. <p>It sounds like several have tackled the heater valve problem, and just wondering if some of you have done so on the 750, and can offer suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br>Mark<p></i><br>

Mark in SBA
09-05-2001, 09:47 PM
Mark,<p>Did the same thing recently to my E31 - same engine. Check out this link:<p><a href="http://www.bimmer.org/e31/messages/archive/msgsy2001w21/19649.html">Heater hose replacement</a><p>Might help.<p>Mark

Mark750iL
09-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the input. VERY NICE pix and dialogue on your V12 for the E31. However, my hose configuration is somewhat different.<p>So...bit the bullet and removed the heater valve and pulled all FIVE hoses associated with it. Not an easy task! Anxious to see if the dealer is able to provide the proper hoses.<p>Does anyone know the BMW number for the rebuild kit for the heater valve. The parts guys say they don't exist; previous posts say they do.<p>Thanks,<p><i><br>On my 1990 750iL, one of the hoses connecting the heater valve has developed a small slit in it.<p>The hose is the one that connects to the back-bottom nipple on the heater control, and then snakes down under the others, and then goes to the back end of the left head, (I believe). It appears that the one needs to remove the engine to get the clamp off the "head-end" of the hose. I assume that is somewhat drastic, but am seeking any suggestions. <p>It sounds like several have tackled the heater valve problem, and just wondering if some of you have done so on the 750, and can offer suggestions.<p>Thanks,<br>Mark<p></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index