Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Q
09-08-2001, 06:55 PM
I'm visiting my sister who lives about 200 miles away...and when I went out to get something out of the car... I noticed that the moulding around the windshield had popped up in the middle. I pushed it back down but it's not really stable. Is there a way to secure it so that it does not blow off on my trip back home?<p>Q<br>91 735iL

Bryan Garner
09-08-2001, 08:52 PM
Not shure about how to fix that. I had a similar problim on my 89 750 except mine flew off while I was driving down the highway luckly I didn't loose it and was able to take it to the dealer an they put it back for me.

gale
09-08-2001, 09:46 PM
If there's a K-mart, hardware, or auto parts place nearby, get some silicon RTV & squirt it down in there & put some tape on it to hold it in place until it cures. Even some grocery stores or drug stores have it in a squeeze tube in the hardware or automotive section.<p>gale<br>92 735i<p><i><br>I'm visiting my sister who lives about 200 miles away...and when I went out to get something out of the car... I noticed that the moulding around the windshield had popped up in the middle. I pushed it back down but it's not really stable. Is there a way to secure it so that it does not blow off on my trip back home?<p>Q<br>91 735iL<p></i><br>

Lou
09-08-2001, 10:48 PM
<i><br>I'm visiting my sister who lives about 200 miles away...and when I went out to get something out of the car... I noticed that the moulding around the windshield had popped up in the middle. I pushed it back down but it's not really stable. Is there a way to secure it so that it does not blow off on my trip back home?<p>Q<br>91 735iL<p></i><br>W/S trim falling apart is a problem several board participants have posted - me included. Pretty sad for commentary for a high performance European sedan to have molding blow off at 70 mph. Even Kia's don't have that happen ;( but don't go off and trade up for one of them. FYI, A Philadelphia lawyer did have some success with BMWNA and dealer to get a break on the repair. He posted his approach. If my ISP will cooperate tonight or tomorrow I'll search for the links and post them.<p>Lou<br>'94 740i<br>Lou

Q
09-09-2001, 06:44 PM
I made it back home without the molding flying off...and lo and behold...I have a tube of RTV silicone in my toolbox. So I'm off to do a little squeeze and tape job on the moulding. I really appreciate the replies! I'm glad that when the moulding decided to pop it did not go flying off like in some of the other stories.<p>Lou...I guess I didn't type in the "magic" word in the archives search. That was the first place I looked...I typed in "windshield" and "moulding" (plus a combination of the 2) and all I got back was a post that was asking what to do because their moulding had flown off while they were driving. The search didn't even turn up a reply to his question...so that's why I came back to the board. But again...yours, Gale, and Bryans replies where appreciated. 8-)<p>Q<br>91 735iL<p>

Lou
09-10-2001, 04:13 PM
<i><p>I'm visiting my sister who lives about 200 miles away...and when I went out to get something out of the car... I noticed that the moulding around the windshield had popped up in the middle. I pushed it back down but it's not really stable. Is there a way to secure it so that it does not blow off on my trip back home?<p>Q<br>91 735iL<p><br>W/S trim falling apart is a problem several board participants have posted - me included. Pretty sad for commentary for a high performance European sedan to have molding blow off at 70 mph. Even Kia's don't have that happen ;( but don't go off and trade up for one of them. FYI, A Philadelphia lawyer did have some success with BMWNA and dealer to get a break on the repair. He posted his approach. If my ISP will cooperate tonight or tomorrow I'll search for the links and post them.<p>Lou<br>'94 740i<br>Lou<p><br>I had the same luck (BAD) over the weekend. Let me summarize it. 7-8 posts with similar problem. Molding blowing loose from center clip. Mine was accompanied by a stress crack/fracture of the w/shield right at the mirror. This Philadelphia lawyer took that to the attention of BMW/NA with some luck (maybe because of his profession??) and had the repair - replacement of the molding and clips - done at a dealership at a reduced cost ($75).<p>I'm certain that if there was a compilation of such problematic issues presented to your dealer that they might be inclined to make a more correct repair of your vehicle.<p>Lou<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index