Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Steve Harbert
09-10-2001, 04:49 PM
This is in regard to a '91 750 and to driving at excessively high speeds. I have been told by someone that driving over 160mph and the back end of the car becomes very light and can be extremely dangerous. Can anyone shed any light on this subject<br>TIA,<br>Steve<br>'91 750il

Wayne McKay
09-10-2001, 05:35 PM
I have been at speeds approaching that and would be VERY suprised if this was the case. I can't recall noticing much of a difference, other than moderate increase in wind noise, between 80mph and 140mph. It is one of the most stable vehicles I have ever been in at high speeds.<p>'88 750iL<p><i><br>This is in regard to a '91 750 and to driving at excessively high speeds. I have been told by someone that driving over 160mph and the back end of the car becomes very light and can be extremely dangerous. Can anyone shed any light on this subject<br>TIA,<br>Steve<br>'91 750il<p></i><br>

Roxxy
09-11-2001, 12:06 AM
never had that problem, at high speeds the car settles down and just hugs the road. <br>-roxxy

Ekkehart Rackete,Bochum Germany
09-11-2001, 12:29 AM
heresay: disregard<p>First of all a standard 750i will just reach 160mph and not exceed this speed. Even without the limiter there is simply not enough power. See my post about the Alpina B 12. If it is not stable it can be a couple of things. From low tire pressure over bad (desing,make, state of balance) tires to mechanical problems. Bad shocks, bad suspension parts to bad roads. <p>Designwise I don't see any problems. At 160mph the car is very stable and safe to drive. I do that quite frequently i.e every week without a preflight check and a weather report. I am much more concrned about the fuel consumption at 250RPM thananything else. Or the other guys going at half the speed. Ekkehart

Dean Halter
09-11-2001, 08:31 PM
I have a 90 750 iL and two days ago had the rear tire BLOW OUT at just over 100 mph. The car was rock stable during the incident and as I slowly pulled over. No muss, no fuss.... (H rated tires by the way, 3500 miles on them, and they're going back!!!)<p><p>This is in regard to a '91 750 and to driving at excessively high speeds. I have been told by someone that driving over 160mph and the back end of the car becomes very light and can be extremely dangerous. Can anyone shed any light on this subject<br>TIA,<br>Steve<br>'91 750il<p></i><br>

wiley
09-11-2001, 10:45 PM
well we all know how slow i like to drive!! i've been in that range more than most(just got the pics back reading 154) and i've never had a problem with the handling of the 735 or the 750(only while doing the u-turn in the median to get away after being radared at 152, that's a whole nother story)<br>it always hugs the road and handles like a dream.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index