Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

alex lynch
09-12-2001, 01:13 PM
After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p>

George Mann
09-12-2001, 04:23 PM
<i><br>Seems like we all get a bit overwhelmed at times<br>with these cars. A second head gasket replacement<br>in two years is hard to take. May want to post your recommended gasket thickness and manufacturer, e.g. BMW OEM this time, standard thickness? When I do my head (imminent) based upon what I have learned I will probably follow suit. Bruno also shaved his head and replaced with a standard thickness gasket which probably provided a mild bump in compression/ horsepower...the thicker gasket to <br>compensate for a milled head may not be as<br>robust. Let us know and glad you<br>will be around to provide your helpful insight.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145k<p><p>After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p></i><br>

Rich 1990 750iL
09-12-2001, 05:07 PM
<i><br>After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p></i><br>

David Morton
09-13-2001, 04:35 AM
<i>I've been told that the only time that you can get away without Skimming the head is if the engine has a little heat in it,This is supposedly to allow for any distortion on the alloy head. Dunno Never tried this..Me personally, I've always Skimmed the head to take out any distortion of the alloy. The skimming is only a couple of thou at max, therfore no real performance gain is acheived. Make sure there are plenty of beers around and willing hands, as the head weighs a ton for one man to try and manhandle. <p>Extra tip for George only...... make sure that there are no "Babes" about...Knowing how you can be distracted n'all that he he he he he!<p>Regards <br>Dave M <p>Seems like we all get a bit overwhelmed at times<br>with these cars. A second head gasket replacement<br>in two years is hard to take. May want to post your recommended gasket thickness and manufacturer, e.g. BMW OEM this time, standard thickness? When I do my head (imminent) based upon what I have learned I will probably follow suit. Bruno also shaved his head and replaced with a standard thickness gasket which probably provided a mild bump in compression/ horsepower...the thicker gasket to <br>compensate for a milled head may not be as<br>robust. Let us know and glad you<br>will be around to provide your helpful insight.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145k<p><br>After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p><br></i><br>

George Mann
09-13-2001, 10:49 AM
<i><br>Hi David,<br>Yes skinning the head to preclude any warpage or<br>lack of planar surface is a must or at least an <br>important part of head gasket change procedure.<br>The dilemma then becomes replacing with a slightly<br>thicker gasket as Alex did to compensate for the<br>head shaving to maintain the same compression ratio. Since we cannot adjust the ignition timing<br>on our E-32's, if we shave the head and go with a<br>standard head gasket, we may have to use a slightly higher octane gas to prevent pre-detonation. This may be a reasonable alternative<br>to a thicker head gasket and premature failure.<br>Only one incident I've heard..Bruno went with a<br>standard head gasket thickness..therefore hard to say.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145K<p><p><br>I've been told that the only time that you can get away without Skimming the head is if the engine has a little heat in it,This is supposedly to allow for any distortion on the alloy head. Dunno Never tried this..Me personally, I've always Skimmed the head to take out any distortion of the alloy. The skimming is only a couple of thou at max, therfore no real performance gain is acheived. Make sure there are plenty of beers around and willing hands, as the head weighs a ton for one man to try and manhandle. <p>Extra tip for George only...... make sure that there are no "Babes" about...Knowing how you can be distracted n'all that he he he he he!<p>Regards <br>Dave M <p>Seems like we all get a bit overwhelmed at times<br>with these cars. A second head gasket replacement<br>in two years is hard to take. May want to post your recommended gasket thickness and manufacturer, e.g. BMW OEM this time, standard thickness? When I do my head (imminent) based upon what I have learned I will probably follow suit. Bruno also shaved his head and replaced with a standard thickness gasket which probably provided a mild bump in compression/ horsepower...the thicker gasket to <br>compensate for a milled head may not be as<br>robust. Let us know and glad you<br>will be around to provide your helpful insight.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145k<p><br>After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p><br></i><br>

David Morton
09-13-2001, 11:42 AM
<i>I used a Standard Gasket Supplied, Factory I might add, But haven't yet had any overheating problems...and that was 2 years ago!!! May be you've been unlucky in the automotive Dept. Is this Possible? <p>Regards <br>Dave M <p>Hi David,<br>Yes skinning the head to preclude any warpage or<br>lack of planar surface is a must or at least an <br>important part of head gasket change procedure.<br>The dilemma then becomes replacing with a slightly<br>thicker gasket as Alex did to compensate for the<br>head shaving to maintain the same compression ratio. Since we cannot adjust the ignition timing<br>on our E-32's, if we shave the head and go with a<br>standard head gasket, we may have to use a slightly higher octane gas to prevent pre-detonation. This may be a reasonable alternative<br>to a thicker head gasket and premature failure.<br>Only one incident I've heard..Bruno went with a<br>standard head gasket thickness..therefore hard to say.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145K<p><p>I've been told that the only time that you can get away without Skimming the head is if the engine has a little heat in it,This is supposedly to allow for any distortion on the alloy head. Dunno Never tried this..Me personally, I've always Skimmed the head to take out any distortion of the alloy. The skimming is only a couple of thou at max, therfore no real performance gain is acheived. Make sure there are plenty of beers around and willing hands, as the head weighs a ton for one man to try and manhandle. <p>Extra tip for George only...... make sure that there are no "Babes" about...Knowing how you can be distracted n'all that he he he he he!<p>Regards <br>Dave M <p>Seems like we all get a bit overwhelmed at times<br>with these cars. A second head gasket replacement<br>in two years is hard to take. May want to post your recommended gasket thickness and manufacturer, e.g. BMW OEM this time, standard thickness? When I do my head (imminent) based upon what I have learned I will probably follow suit. Bruno also shaved his head and replaced with a standard thickness gasket which probably provided a mild bump in compression/ horsepower...the thicker gasket to <br>compensate for a milled head may not be as<br>robust. Let us know and glad you<br>will be around to provide your helpful insight.<br>Best Regards,<br>George<br>90 735il/145k<p><br>After shopping a couple of weeks for a replacement for the '92 735i and receiving insulting trade-in prices from the local stealers, I have decided to hold onto the car. It's worth more to our family than the typical $4k trade-in offers. Still looking for another car and have narrowed the search down to one of the 4.4 V8s, either the 740iL or an X5. I like the E38 but my significant other wants the X5 (way too expensive and I hate SUVs/SAVs or whatever they are called today). I have driven both and there are definitely a lot more horses under the hood than the M30 engine. Also drove a 540i wagon rocketship; talk about a sleeper.<p>Regards<p>Alex (taking my time and enjoying the test drives)<br>1992 735i 217k miles (waiting for haed gasket kit)<br>1972 2002 187k miles<p><br></i><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index