Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Phil Coppin
12-16-1998, 09:10 AM
Alan, Thanks for the E34 Forum. Now all we have to do is get the other owners logged in!!<p>Just my 2 cents to start off the new board. <br>Both my wife and myself think the E34 5er is much more "BMW looking" than the E39 5er. The new cars look very generic from the rear 1/4 (Like a darn Camry) and from the side too. We just love the more "brawny" look of the E34. Interestingly, I was speaking with some of the salesmen at our BMW dealership and a couple of them told me that they are still trying to like the look of the E39...<br>Darn, style is such a subjective thing..<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked!

ron
12-17-1998, 04:30 PM
<i>: Alan, Thanks for the E34 Forum. Now all we have to do is get the other owners logged in!!<p>: Just my 2 cents to start off the new board. <br>: Both my wife and myself think the E34 5er is much more "BMW looking" than the E39 5er. The new cars look very generic from the rear 1/4 (Like a darn Camry) and from the side too. We just love the more "brawny" look of the E34. Interestingly, I was speaking with some of the salesmen at our BMW dealership and a couple of them told me that they are still trying to like the look of the E39...<br>: Darn, style is such a subjective thing..<p>: Phil C.<br>: 95 525i 5spd. Sharked!<p></i>Phil, I totally agree , the stylists blew it with the e39's rear end, it's NOT ugly, just not very distinctive...if it weren't for the roundel on the trunk, i doubt many people would know what car they were following, and for nearly $50K, it should be discernable from at least a mile back! Subjective or not, I still think the e34 is one of the best looking cars on the road. I checked out the new 5 last year with my wife, but after seeing the new model, (and what the payments would be :^) she agreed the older one looked "more BMW." I love all the improvements and toys on the new e39 and i think the new front end looks great, but i'm still partial to the smallish kidney grills and distinct bimmer tail lights on the older models. The e39 is only in its 2nd year, so i'm sure when the time comes, i'll have learned to accept the rear end styling for my next 5....but I wonder if there are any specialty shops out there working on a trunk/rear bumper kit to make the e39 look more like the e34? <p>ron<br>89 e34

Phil Coppin
12-18-1998, 09:04 AM
Ron,<br>Yup, I agree. The E39 is certainly not ugly just generic looking. Funny thing is my wife doesn't like the E39 much either. She prefers distinctive looking cars (amongst other things, she's into art!). For instance, in 96, when we were looking for a car for her, I dragged her around every damn car showroom in the Chicago area and, finally, she walked into an Audi showroom and saw the,then new, Audi A4. Man - Love at first sight....she now has a "Screw you officer Red" Audi A4q 2.8 slushbox (I know, I know, its a slusher but it's her's what can I say). Last May, when I took her to look at the 525, she also fell in love with it. I sold my Toyota Supra Turbo that I had for 10 years after I bought the Bimmer. I loved the styling of that car also, kind of timeless. Anyways, while we were at the dealership she took a glance at the new 5er and said "Boring styling". I know it is all very subjective but the jelly-beany look of the new crop of cars is not our cup of tea at all...Each to his own...<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index