Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Johni
12-16-1998, 12:12 PM
I have a 90 535i with 196k, runs good but has 2 quirks<br>right now. I recently noticed an oil leak in the garage. Looking underneath without jacking it up, I see<br>it coming from around the middle- between the engine and the trans, sure it is oil (not red).. I don't smell any burning oil..just light drips. Any ideas? I will bring it in the shop to be raised and take a look. Hopefully just a gasket..<br>On another note, after idling for around 3-5 minutes, like in traffic or even the drive through, I hear and<br>feel like i'm dragging a newspaper or something, the sound feels like under the trans, 1 sound per rotation <br>of the wheels, as I go faster, so does the sound, then<br>after about a minute and I go faster 35-45 mph, the sound just goes away like nothing happened...<p>Thanks for your help, Thanks to Alan for this board..<p>Johni

EM
12-16-1998, 03:54 PM
You don't say whether this is a manual or automatic -- the following applies if manual xmission, and is a wild guess not knowing more about the problem...<p>Over time, the action of the clutch/pressure plate causes stress on the end of the crank, pushing it back and forth in the main bearing journals (front to back in the engine...)<p>Eventually, this causes the mains to wear, thereby allowing excessive crank endplay. This in turn causes the rear main seal to begin leaking because the crank is moving back and forth a-x the seal. This manifests itself as a small drip coming from between the back of the engine and the front of the tranny. To treat the symptom, replace the rear main seal -- take tranny out to expose crank end, and replace seal (cha-ching$, might as well do a clutch/pp/t-out bearing/flywheel resurface too). To treat the problem, R&R the bottom end of the engine including mains and crank machining (Cha-ching$$$$) -- or buy a new car that doesn't have the problem -- or ignore it. In the short term, not much will probably happen except you'll get an annoying drip on the garage floor..., over the long term, oil on the clutch, slipping clutch, yadda, yadda, yadda.<p>As for your "newspaper" sound, again not knowing more (could it be more of a creaking sound?), check the following...<p>1) anything caught in the drive train??<br>2) Universals/CV joints creaking??<br>3) Brakes dragging on rotors??<br>4) Who knows...<p>Good Luck,<p>EM<p><br>: I have a 90 535i with 196k, runs good but has 2 quirks<br>: right now. I recently noticed an oil leak in the garage. Looking underneath without jacking it up, I see<br>: it coming from around the middle- between the engine and the trans, sure it is oil (not red).. I don't smell any burning oil..just light drips. Any ideas? I will bring it in the shop to be raised and take a look. Hopefully just a gasket..<br>: On another note, after idling for around 3-5 minutes, like in traffic or even the drive through, I hear and<br>: feel like i'm dragging a newspaper or something, the sound feels like under the trans, 1 sound per rotation <br>: of the wheels, as I go faster, so does the sound, then<br>: after about a minute and I go faster 35-45 mph, the sound just goes away like nothing happened...<p>: Thanks for your help, Thanks to Alan for this board..<p>: Johni<p>

jOHNIS
12-16-1998, 05:26 PM
Sorry, it's an automatic and nothing dragging..<br>I think I overfilled the oil, will this cause<br>the rear seal to go?<br>Thanks for your help<p><i>: You don't say whether this is a manual or automatic -- the following applies if manual xmission, and is a wild guess not knowing more about the problem...<p>: Over time, the action of the clutch/pressure plate causes stress on the end of the crank, pushing it back and forth in the main bearing journals (front to back in the engine...)<p>: Eventually, this causes the mains to wear, thereby allowing excessive crank endplay. This in turn causes the rear main seal to begin leaking because the crank is moving back and forth a-x the seal. This manifests itself as a small drip coming from between the back of the engine and the front of the tranny. To treat the symptom, replace the rear main seal -- take tranny out to expose crank end, and replace seal (cha-ching$, might as well do a clutch/pp/t-out bearing/flywheel resurface too). To treat the problem, R&R the bottom end of the engine including mains and crank machining (Cha-ching$$$$) -- or buy a new car that doesn't have the problem -- or ignore it. In the short term, not much will probably happen except you'll get an annoying drip on the garage floor..., over the long term, oil on the clutch, slipping clutch, yadda, yadda, yadda.<p>: As for your "newspaper" sound, again not knowing more (could it be more of a creaking sound?), check the following...<p>: 1) anything caught in the drive train??<br>: 2) Universals/CV joints creaking??<br>: 3) Brakes dragging on rotors??<br>: 4) Who knows...<p>: Good Luck,<p>: EM<p>: <br>: : I have a 90 535i with 196k, runs good but has 2 quirks<br>: : right now. I recently noticed an oil leak in the garage. Looking underneath without jacking it up, I see<br>: : it coming from around the middle- between the engine and the trans, sure it is oil (not red).. I don't smell any burning oil..just light drips. Any ideas? I will bring it in the shop to be raised and take a look. Hopefully just a gasket..<br>: : On another note, after idling for around 3-5 minutes, like in traffic or even the drive through, I hear and<br>: : feel like i'm dragging a newspaper or something, the sound feels like under the trans, 1 sound per rotation <br>: : of the wheels, as I go faster, so does the sound, then<br>: : after about a minute and I go faster 35-45 mph, the sound just goes away like nothing happened...<p>: : Thanks for your help, Thanks to Alan for this board..<p>: : Johni<p></i>

slc1230
12-16-1998, 10:41 PM
Check the rear trans mounts, these can go bad and allow the driveshaft to scrape on the exhaust sheild. Also check the center carrier on the driveshaft. Both are fairly common problems that can cause your symptoms. <br>SLC1230

EM
12-17-1998, 12:12 PM
Naw, doubtful. Overfilling the oil might cause it to leak oil from a bunch of new places, but restoring the oil level to "normal" (by draining some out) should solve the problem. Overfilling can also cause some "windage" problems -- the crank has to push the oil out of the way with each revolution. Other than those two issues, I don't know of any damage that can be caused by overfilling. However, there are probably 1,000 other issues I've never heard of.<p>Regarding the comments from slc1230 about the "newspaper" sound, their diagnosis sounds pretty good.<p>Good luck,<p>EM<p>: Sorry, it's an automatic and nothing dragging..<br>: I think I overfilled the oil, will this cause<br>: the rear seal to go?<br>: Thanks for your help<p>: : You don't say whether this is a manual or automatic -- the following applies if manual xmission, and is a wild guess not knowing more about the problem...<p>: : Over time, the action of the clutch/pressure plate causes stress on the end of the crank, pushing it back and forth in the main bearing journals (front to back in the engine...)<p>: : Eventually, this causes the mains to wear, thereby allowing excessive crank endplay. This in turn causes the rear main seal to begin leaking because the crank is moving back and forth a-x the seal. This manifests itself as a small drip coming from between the back of the engine and the front of the tranny. To treat the symptom, replace the rear main seal -- take tranny out to expose crank end, and replace seal (cha-ching$, might as well do a clutch/pp/t-out bearing/flywheel resurface too). To treat the problem, R&R the bottom end of the engine including mains and crank machining (Cha-ching$$$$) -- or buy a new car that doesn't have the problem -- or ignore it. In the short term, not much will probably happen except you'll get an annoying drip on the garage floor..., over the long term, oil on the clutch, slipping clutch, yadda, yadda, yadda.<p>: : As for your "newspaper" sound, again not knowing more (could it be more of a creaking sound?), check the following...<p>: : 1) anything caught in the drive train??<br>: : 2) Universals/CV joints creaking??<br>: : 3) Brakes dragging on rotors??<br>: : 4) Who knows...<p>: : Good Luck,<p>: : EM<p>: : <br>: : : I have a 90 535i with 196k, runs good but has 2 quirks<br>: : : right now. I recently noticed an oil leak in the garage. Looking underneath without jacking it up, I see<br>: : : it coming from around the middle- between the engine and the trans, sure it is oil (not red).. I don't smell any burning oil..just light drips. Any ideas? I will bring it in the shop to be raised and take a look. Hopefully just a gasket..<br>: : : On another note, after idling for around 3-5 minutes, like in traffic or even the drive through, I hear and<br>: : : feel like i'm dragging a newspaper or something, the sound feels like under the trans, 1 sound per rotation <br>: : : of the wheels, as I go faster, so does the sound, then<br>: : : after about a minute and I go faster 35-45 mph, the sound just goes away like nothing happened...<p>: : : Thanks for your help, Thanks to Alan for this board..<p>: : : Johni<p>

JOhniS
12-17-1998, 02:27 PM
<i>: Check the rear trans mounts, these can go bad and allow the driveshaft to scrape on the exhaust sheild. Also check the center carrier on the driveshaft. Both are fairly common problems that can cause your symptoms. <br>: SLC1230<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index