Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission

Steve
12-16-1998, 03:22 PM
Hi - my recent 94 M60 E34 is my first auto and today I had a nasty shock. I pressed the loud pedal before it had properly engaged 1st and the engine revs rose before it clunked into gear. The display then gave me the Trans Program warning and made me limp home in 4th (I think it was). I turned off the ignition and then re-started but it remained in limp-home mode.<p>Two hours later and it was back to normal, naturally I am now not so hasty jumping on the gas.<p>So, do I have a problem with my transmission or do they all do this after 130k miles? One final thought, normally it gets into gear quite quickly but it does take maybe a second or so every now and again. Is this s known symptom?<p>thanks, Steve

Hans TILLIE
12-17-1998, 03:48 AM
<i>: Hi - my recent 94 M60 E34 is my first auto and today I had a nasty shock. I pressed the loud pedal before it had properly engaged 1st and the engine revs rose before it clunked into gear. The display then gave me the Trans Program warning and made me limp home in 4th (I think it was). I turned off the ignition and then re-started but it remained in limp-home mode.<p>: Two hours later and it was back to normal, naturally I am now not so hasty jumping on the gas.<p>: So, do I have a problem with my transmission or do they all do this after 130k miles? One final thought, normally it gets into gear quite quickly but it does take maybe a second or so every now and again. Is this s known symptom?<p></i> Well, I have had the same problem a few months ago. I made the same mistake as you and a couple of weeks later the warning light came back on and stayed on... time for a new tranny, luckily it was covered by warranty.<br>It appears that the automatic transmissions on the E34 had a flaw and it appears after a 150.000 km (= about a 100k miles). The fix is that they replace the whole thing with a new one or a revision. Mostly it will be the last choice.<br>It also appears that if the tranny has been well maintained (new fluids on regular base and new filter) the problem might not appear at all or much later. As mine was a second hand, 'scuse me, "pre-owned", the oil on the inside of the tranny was black as hell, yech. That will never happen again.<br>So, hope yours will last for ever.<p>Hans.<br>'91 520iA<br>'93 316i

EM
12-17-1998, 11:52 AM
<br>: : Hi - my recent 94 M60 E34 is my first auto and today I had a nasty shock. I pressed the loud pedal before it had properly engaged 1st and the engine revs rose before it clunked into gear. The display then gave me the Trans Program warning and made me limp home in 4th (I think it was). I turned off the ignition and then re-started but it remained in limp-home mode.<p>: : Two hours later and it was back to normal, naturally I am now not so hasty jumping on the gas.<p>: : So, do I have a problem with my transmission or do they all do this after 130k miles? One final thought, normally it gets into gear quite quickly but it does take maybe a second or so every now and again. Is this s known symptom?<p>: Well, I have had the same problem a few months ago. I made the same mistake as you and a couple of weeks later the warning light came back on and stayed on... time for a new tranny, luckily it was covered by warranty.<br>: It appears that the automatic transmissions on the E34 had a flaw and it appears after a 150.000 km (= about a 100k miles). The fix is that they replace the whole thing with a new one or a revision. Mostly it will be the last choice.<br>: It also appears that if the tranny has been well maintained (new fluids on regular base and new filter) the problem might not appear at all or much later. As mine was a second hand, 'scuse me, "pre-owned", the oil on the inside of the tranny was black as hell, yech. That will never happen again.<br>: So, hope yours will last for ever.<p>: Hans.<br>: '91 520iA<br>: '93 316i<p>

Hans TILLIE
12-18-1998, 03:18 AM
<i>: : It appears that the automatic transmissions on the E34 had a flaw and it appears after a 150.000 km (= about a 100k miles). The fix is that they replace the whole thing with a new one or a revision. Mostly it will be the last choice.<br>: : It also appears that if the tranny has been well maintained (new fluids on regular base and new filter) the problem might not appear at all or much later. As mine was a second hand, 'scuse me, "pre-owned", the oil on the inside of the tranny was black as hell, yech. That will never happen again.<p>The automatic tranny is build of sort of clutchplates A to F (if I'm right), oil pumps, filter and some other stuff. It seems that if you do not change the oil and change the filter on a very regular base, the oil gets very and very quickly dirty. Thus the filter gets all the dirt, looses it's effectiveness, so the oil that's supposed to change the gears ain't so fluid anymore, it kind of burns because getting very hot, so you get very "hard" changing of gears (like a "clunck" on almost any gear), high revs, the changing of gears ain't smooth anymore, and the tranny looses time changing gear because it is kind of searching what gear to get in... and a few days later, you're stuck with a car making high revs and not moving. So then it's time for the warning light and you can if still possible go to the garage immediately.<br>In my case all this happened on a 2 week interval, and it took the dealer 4 weeks to repair as it was holiday-season, needed time to diagnose, tranny had to come from Germany, they had to test-drive it, re-program or something and lucky me, I didn't even paid one cent for it.<p>Does this answers your question?<p>Hans.<br>'91 520iA<br>'93 316i<br>I don't know if this makes any sense.<br>I think the problem is that you cook your oil in the tranny after a certain time...that seems to be the flaw in this tranny. And apparently, I am not the only one that had this problem.<br></i>

EM
12-18-1998, 11:28 AM
<br>: : : It appears that the automatic transmissions on the E34 had a flaw and it appears after a 150.000 km (= about a 100k miles). The fix is that they replace the whole thing with a new one or a revision. Mostly it will be the last choice.<br>: : : It also appears that if the tranny has been well maintained (new fluids on regular base and new filter) the problem might not appear at all or much later. As mine was a second hand, 'scuse me, "pre-owned", the oil on the inside of the tranny was black as hell, yech. That will never happen again.<p>: The automatic tranny is build of sort of clutchplates A to F (if I'm right), oil pumps, filter and some other stuff. It seems that if you do not change the oil and change the filter on a very regular base, the oil gets very and very quickly dirty. Thus the filter gets all the dirt, looses it's effectiveness, so the oil that's supposed to change the gears ain't so fluid anymore, it kind of burns because getting very hot, so you get very "hard" changing of gears (like a "clunck" on almost any gear), high revs, the changing of gears ain't smooth anymore, and the tranny looses time changing gear because it is kind of searching what gear to get in... and a few days later, you're stuck with a car making high revs and not moving. So then it's time for the warning light and you can if still possible go to the garage immediately.<br>: In my case all this happened on a 2 week interval, and it took the dealer 4 weeks to repair as it was holiday-season, needed time to diagnose, tranny had to come from Germany, they had to test-drive it, re-program or something and lucky me, I didn't even paid one cent for it.<p>: Does this answers your question?<p>: Hans.<br>: '91 520iA<br>: '93 316i<br>: I don't know if this makes any sense.<br>: I think the problem is that you cook your oil in the tranny after a certain time...that seems to be the flaw in this tranny. And apparently, I am not the only one that had this problem.<p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index