Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Marty
12-17-1998, 07:26 PM
Sorry if some of you have a sense of deja vu when reading this, but I just noticed that we now have our own E34 board. This is a repost of what I posted on the general 5 series board:<p>Its time. My last driving school finished off my much loved Michelin Energies (35,000 miles, not bad I guess). I'm looking for a replacement set (225/60/15) which will, in this order:<br>1. Give a reasonably smooth, quiet ride.<br>2. Not fall apart during track (driving school) events-I don't want to wear through the shoulders or have sections of the tread disintegrate after an event or two.<br>3. Handle reasonably well at track events<br>4. Have some foul weather capablity (this is real low priority, since I live in AZ, and only occassionally go skiing)<p>Any thoughts?<p>BTW, the car is a 93 525i 5spd, with a chip, throttle body and exhuast system.

Phil Coppin
12-18-1998, 08:49 AM
Marty,<br>As the actress said to the bishop, "You can't have it all ways mate"!!!!<br>Best bet is to buy a set of tires for your "performance" activities..Other than that, I just received the trusty Consumer Reports buyers guide and, guess what, our Michelin Energy MXV4's are top-rated tires for performance AND they have the best snow traction....<br>P.S. I have experimented with tire pressures on my car and 35psi all around appears to be the best choice. Well, at least for my style of driving :)<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked

Dan Masucci
12-18-1998, 11:50 PM
I have put about 4,000 miles on (same size) BFG-Comp TA/ZR's and they're GREAT! Sticky, track well, good wet grip (well, I live in SoCal so that's not all that important, but I did drive in the rain a few weeks ago), and they don't yet show wear.<p>Remember, these are 3,700 lb. cars - so handling and tire wear will be different from, say, a Accord or Maxima. <p>The car is also a hellof a lot more fun to drive and will do a much better job of saving your butt should you have an accident.<p>Expect to purchase tires every 20,000 - 30,000 miles. Good tires. Junk will not last that long, or, will last too long.<p>Think about tires as you would an eraser. A hard eraser lasts forever, but does a lousey job. A gum erarer really sticks to the paper and works well - but it wears quickly. Now think about stopping that 3,700 lb. car in an emergency. I'll take the sticky performance tires anyday.<p>Dan Masucci<br>Lake Forest, CA<br>94 530i/5<p><br><i>: Sorry if some of you have a sense of deja vu when reading this, but I just noticed that we now have our own E34 board. This is a repost of what I posted on the general 5 series board:<p>: Its time. My last driving school finished off my much loved Michelin Energies (35,000 miles, not bad I guess). I'm looking for a replacement set (225/60/15) which will, in this order:<br>: 1. Give a reasonably smooth, quiet ride.<br>: 2. Not fall apart during track (driving school) events-I don't want to wear through the shoulders or have sections of the tread disintegrate after an event or two.<br>: 3. Handle reasonably well at track events<br>: 4. Have some foul weather capablity (this is real low priority, since I live in AZ, and only occassionally go skiing)<p>: Any thoughts?<p>: BTW, the car is a 93 525i 5spd, with a chip, throttle body and exhuast system. <p></i>

Marty
12-22-1998, 10:37 AM
Hmmm. Thought the tires I had were good, and I guess this confirms it. THe only other tires I heard abotut were the Pilot XGTV4. Any thoughts? Any way, thanks for the input!<p>: Marty,<br>: As the actress said to the bishop, "You can't have it all ways mate"!!!!<br>: Best bet is to buy a set of tires for your "performance" activities..Other than that, I just received the trusty Consumer Reports buyers guide and, guess what, our Michelin Energy MXV4's are top-rated tires for performance AND they have the best snow traction....<br>: P.S. I have experimented with tire pressures on my car and 35psi all around appears to be the best choice. Well, at least for my style of driving :)<p>: Phil C.<br>: 95 525i 5spd. Sharked<p><br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index