Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

CraigW
12-17-1998, 11:15 PM
I just purchased an '89 535iA with 41k miles. I took it to a local BMW dealer for an inspection. They informed me of several problems that need attention; faulty conductor board, 41k service, lower left control arm, water pump, passenger seat back that won't recline. I intend to have these items done by a local BMW/MB mechanic, as his prices are half that of the dealer. <p>There are several other ?'s I have that I would like advice and information on.<br>1. There is a strange electrical (my guess) noise behind the instrument cluster that happens when I turn off the ignition. It usually only lasts for 10-20 seconds. I can only say that it is similar to that of my PC when I shut it down.<p>2. I only get cool air to the back seat thru the rear vents.<p>3. The heating element for passenger seat does not work. <p>4. On Board Computer is faulty, Time and temperature work fine. Should I replace this? If so, new or used.<p>I fould the discussion about the Maxima vs. 5er's quite interesting as I was in the process of purchasing a '96 Maxima SE 5 speed with 40K miles until I saw the 535i in the paper and moved on it the next day. After one month of pleasure and considerable ribbing at the office, I know I made the right choice! I only wish it had a 5 speed.<p>Thanks Alan, I have found this board and the Archiives to be the best site for me, I check it out every day!<p>Craig W

Chris
12-18-1998, 12:45 AM
Can help with 1 and 2:<p>1. This is standard. I believe it is the motors? going through the motion.<p>2. This also is standard. If you read the manual (did your car come with one?), they mention that the rear vents only provide fresh or air-conditioned air - not heated air.<p>Good luck with the rest.

CraigW
12-18-1998, 01:32 AM
<br>: Can help with 1 and 2:<p>: 1. This is standard. I believe it is the motors? going through the motion.<p>: 2. This also is standard. If you read the manual (did your car come with one?), they mention that the rear vents only provide fresh or air-conditioned air - not heated air.<p>: Good luck with the rest.<p>Chris:<p>Thanks for your help.<p>I also hear the noise when I turn the fan off, although not the full 10-20 seconds. If this is normal shutdown, then perhaps I should not be concerned.<p>The car didn't have a manual, but the dealer where I went for the inspection indicated that the car was purchased new in12/88 from them and all service performed by same dealer here in Cleveland, OH.<p>I've seen a reference to a "Bentley" manual in the Archives, others indicate this is the best, what are your thoughts? I have access to a garage w/ lift and am able to perform most operations. <p>Thanks,<br>CraigW

CraigW
12-18-1998, 01:45 AM
<br>: Can help with 1 and 2:<p>: 1. This is standard. I believe it is the motors? going through the motion.<p>: 2. This also is standard. If you read the manual (did your car come with one?), they mention that the rear vents only provide fresh or air-conditioned air - not heated air.<p>: Good luck with the rest.<p>Chris:<p>Thanks for you help.<p>The car didn't have a manual. I intend to do most of the service work myself as a good friend has a brake shop and therefore allows me access after hours. Any advice on manuals? I've read elsewhere in the archives about a "Bentley" manual. Is this better that the rest?

Phil Coppin
12-18-1998, 08:44 AM
The Bentley manual is fairly comprehensive with lots of pictures ;)<br>Amazon.com carries the manual as do several Bimmer shops that advertise, around 60 bucks - BUY IT!. Several websites have parts for your car (bimmerparts I believe is one). BTW - After working for a few years on Toyota Supra Turbo straight 6's, the BMW engine is truly a delight to work on!!!! Steve D at the Ultimate Garage www.ultimategarage.com, carries various special tools and necessary pieces/parts for our cars.<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked

Shawn Anderson
12-18-1998, 10:55 AM
<i>: I just purchased an '89 535iA with 41k miles. I took it to a local BMW dealer for an inspection. They informed me of several problems that need attention; faulty conductor board, 41k service, lower left control arm, water pump, passenger seat back that won't recline. I intend to have these items done by a local BMW/MB mechanic, as his prices are half that of the dealer. <p>: There are several other ?'s I have that I would like advice and information on.<br>: 1. There is a strange electrical (my guess) noise behind the instrument cluster that happens when I turn off the ignition. It usually only lasts for 10-20 seconds. I can only say that it is similar to that of my PC when I shut it down.<p><br>: 2. I only get cool air to the back seat thru the rear vents.<p>: 3. The heating element for passenger seat does not work. <p>: 4. On Board Computer is faulty, Time and temperature work fine. Should I replace this? If so, new or used.<p>: I fould the discussion about the Maxima vs. 5er's quite interesting as I was in the process of purchasing a '96 Maxima SE 5 speed with 40K miles until I saw the 535i in the paper and moved on it the next day. After one month of pleasure and considerable ribbing at the office, I know I made the right choice! I only wish it had a 5 speed.<p>: Thanks Alan, I have found this board and the Archiives to be the best site for me, I check it out every day!<p>: Craig W<p></i><p>1. This is noise of the vents returning to the "defualt position." It is completely normal and every new 5 series owner asks about it.<p>2. That is normal.<p>3. There are seperate heating elements for the "butt" area and "back" area of the seat. If neither is heating they're probably not the problem. I would check the relay then the switch.<p>4. I haven't heard many complaints of faulty OBCs, so I wouldn't hesitate to go used. I would try to find a local source and plug the used on in at the wrecking yard to make sure that's your problem. Brett Anderson's BMW page tells how to remove the OBC under "is your OBC dull?"(http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta). <p>Note that there have been MANY complaints about the instrument cluster on the '89s. There is a company in Florida called Programma that specializes in rebuilt BMW electronics if this is your problem.<p>Shawn Anderson<br>1990 535, 160K miles, 5 speed

Alan
12-18-1998, 11:39 AM
<i>: The Bentley manual is fairly comprehensive with lots of pictures ;)<br>: Amazon.com carries the manual as do several Bimmer shops that advertise, around 60 bucks - BUY IT!.</i><p><br>you could always buy the 5-series manual from the bimmer.org <a href="http://www.bimmer.org/books/5series.html"><b>5-series book store</b></a> and help support the message board by doing so. :-)<p><br>--alan

EM
12-18-1998, 11:39 AM
I would recommend Bentley (~$60 from Amazon,com, or something like that), and an OWNER'S manual. In fact, I would consult the owner's manual before you decided that your OBC was bad. There are many "features" of the OBC that can stiyme even the experienced BMW owner, so I would take a moment to obtain, then read thoroughly, the BMW owner's manual before proceeding...<p>Good Luck,<p>EM<p>: The car didn't have a manual. I intend to do most of the service work myself as a good friend has a brake shop and therefore allows me access after hours. Any advice on manuals? I've read elsewhere in the archives about a "Bentley" manual. Is this better that the rest?<p>

Phil Coppin
12-18-1998, 02:00 PM
Alan,<br>Big MEA CULPA on that one...sorry mate!<br>Just flipped in at work and had brain fade when I answered.<p>SUPPORT THE BOARD!!!!<p>Apologetic Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked

Alan
12-18-1998, 02:45 PM
<i>: Big MEA CULPA on that one...sorry mate!<br>: Just flipped in at work and had brain fade when I answered.</i><p>heh--no problem--i don't mind if people buy the manuals elsewhere...but then again it doesn't hurt if they buy them here! :-)<p><br>--alan

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index